The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

How did the rebel alliance handles crimes in imp space?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns -> How did the rebel alliance handles crimes in imp space?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: How did the rebel alliance handles crimes in imp space? Reply with quote

In my campaign - our group ran across a kid who ran away from home and has been helping the rebels with information ( they are camped on an imperial world planning to sneak into a moff's fortress.)

However it has now been revealed the boy's uncle ( and legal guardian) sold the boys older sister into servitude.

This is an imperial world - yet the alliance is caught in the middle of it.

Now the one rebel player has detained the uncle.

How should their superior officer handle this?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Uncle knows nothing on the rebellion, leave him for the Imperial services to deal with.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, under the Empire, it wouldn't even be illegal, so long as the uncle had complied with the letter of the law.

As an aside, the existence of other rebellious groups who are independent from the Alliance and have their own goals and methods (the Justice Action Network for one) means that there could be some sort of anti-slavery abolitionist movement or organization, with a specific focus on freeing slaves and eliminating both slavers and the practice of slavery in general.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are missing the question I have.

The uncle is an imperial citizen - who didn't go agaisnt Imperial law, not really anyway.

BUT the party are members of the Alliance to Restore the Republic, and one of them after hearing this, has taken the uncle into custody and placed him the brig of the rebels ship.

BUT they are ALL currently on an imperial world, with the rebels in hiding and operating agaisnt the empire.

How would the alliance officer in charge of the group (an npc) handle such an event? Releasing him would lead to tipping off the empire to their location, not to mention that the uncle broke republic law, even if he is on an imperial world atm.
Thx1138
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if what I have read, your characters are members of the rebel alliance, not the New Republic. The alliance doesn't have a very structured government and laws since most of the forces are sector related. That means laws wouldn't be consistent across alliance forces.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tetsuoh wrote:
How would the alliance officer in charge of the group (an npc) handle such an event? Releasing him would lead to tipping off the empire to their location, not to mention that the uncle broke republic law, even if he is on an imperial world atm.

Sounds like a nice moral quandary for your characters. Legally speaking, they have no authority to act, since what the uncle did is legal under the Empire. The Alliance may hold to certain basic standards as defined by the laws of the Old Republic, but they do not have the resources to enforce the law outside their own members and any Imperial personnel in their custody.

This does not, however, absolve the characters from a moral responsibility to act, especially if any of them are Jedi, especially if the brother has helped them out.

My suggestion? Kidnap the uncle, track down the slaver he sold the girl to, then sell him to the slaver in trade for her (nice chance for a Bargain roll). The characters may end up paying a little extra if the girl is considered more valuable than the uncle, but that's what heroes do sometimes.

The best part? Since slavery is legal under the Empire, technically, the characters wouldn't have broken the law. On top of that, they can justify it morally as they themselves did not profit from the sale of a person into slavery; they just freed an innocent and enslaved her slaver.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True in one POV. but they are still putting someone else into slavery..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So? Let the punishment fit the crime.

denderan marajain
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill wrote:

Interesting opinion
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

denderan marajain wrote:
crmcneill wrote:

Interesting opinion

What can I say? Chaotic Good is my preferred alignment.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a certain cruel irony to that solution. I hate to admit it (as it is enslaving someone else), but it is a proportional punishment.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
There is a certain cruel irony to that solution. I hate to admit it (as it is enslaving someone else), but it is a proportional punishment.

A Jedi character would likely balk at it, but it is more in keeping with what someone like Han Solo or Malcolm Reynolds would come up with.

I know slavery is taboo in modern society, and when it is applied based on a person's race or other traits, that is certainly the case. However, if slavery were applied strictly as a punishment for negative behavior, it would not be so much different from taking away a person's rights by putting them in prison. After all, a prisoner serving life at hard labor is, in essence, a slave, with the only distinction being that he is owned by the government, and not a private citizen.

Food for thought...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Adventures and Campaigns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: