The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Space)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> What do you like/dislike about D6 (including WEG D6 Space)? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Whill wrote:

So my simple solution is, no fully primitive PCs. I do allow Ewoks PCs in my game, but part of the character's background must include how the PC left Endor years ago and the character has had time to become more acclimated to galactic technology and civilization. But yeah, it is also true that it is extremely unlikely that any Ewok PC is going to start out with any advanced skills in my game.

I had a GM brainstorm about the polar opposite. The idea was a short campaign oriented around ONLY primitive characters. While the idea sounded initially amusing it wound up being too problem-ridden to actually materialize.

The concept is at least good for a chuckle.

That could work for a single adventure, or maybe even a very short campaign. But if it goes on for two long, then it kind of defeats the purpose of playing Star Wars, a futuristic setting that takes place across a galaxy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
evilnerf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too could see it working as a one shot. Plus, it doesn't necesarily have to be a "primitive" game to get that kinda flavor.

For example, what about an All Wookiee game on Kashyyk? Or maybe an all Dathomiri Witch party on Dathomir?
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really see merits in all three approaches and it boils down to what works best with your gaming group. Unskilled penalties almost feels like a class based mentality and to be honest this might work well for my D&D experienced group. Making some skills advanced instead of default feels to me like something that might just make sense regardless of primitive or untrained penalties, there are some skills that seem like they should require training prior to use. Increasing difficulty is good because of flexibility and behind the scenes but eventually characters are going to realize the difficulty scale and see the imbalance and might respond negatively to the subterfuge of it, unless its explained upfront which at that point why not just impose the unskilled penalties upfront.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I was answering the question specifically about the D6 Space rule called Unskilled Penalty that automatically assigns a +1 to +5 difficulty for all unraised skill checks, systematically across the board with the players aware.

I never meant to imply that I don't set the difficulty of skill rolls based on the specific circumstances of the skill check. These adjustments are done behind the GM screen and the player may not even know the exact modifiers/difficulty I am assigning.

However, if you do this for fully primitive characters like the Ewok template with any remote sense of realism, then the primitive PC is going to suffer from the rationale of "primitive character" and constantly have higher difficulties than other characters for a lot of everyday actions in the SW galaxy. So the easy way to minimize this is no fully primitive characters.

Due to the primitive aspect and my own prejudice that there couldn't possibly even exist an 18D Ewok, I used to just not allow Ewoks at all, but when I realized they could be years removed from their primitive life on Endor, I warmed to the idea of having a little furry teddy bear that may dress and act primitive, but as a result they are constantly underestimated. That could be a lot of fun to have in a player group.

On the Ewoks, unless you are running something way after endor though how would they really be out in the galaxy?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been theorized that the gas gain of endor which had a forest moon would pull shops out of hyperspace. While the forest moon of endor was not unknown to the galaxy as large but just unimportant. The phrase "sanctuary moon" seem to put in my mind that this planet was off limits. In "my star wars universe" I give three possibilities to ewoks out and about in the galaxy pretty ROTJ.
1: a scout makes contact with ewoks and the ewoks send one of their own out in the galaxy.

2: an ewok sneaks aboard an imperial supply ship running supplies to the death star project, and eventually is picked up by the rebellion when they hijack the supply ship.

3: the ewoks on the forest moon are not the only ewoks in the galaxy. The ones on endor could be a lost colony that couldn't maintain a high level of technology. Remember threepio could understand them but that their dialect was primitive.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
On the Ewoks, unless you are running something way after endor though how would they really be out in the galaxy?

This is from the Ewok template in 1e and R&E:
Quote:
Background: You used to live on Endor, the “Forest Moon.”
Then, one day, a big shiny spaceship landed. You investigated. It
was filled with fascinating, shiny things and good things to eat.
All of a sudden, everything shook. You didn't realize it then, but
the ship had taken off, and you couldn't go home.

Years before the Empire started building the second Death Star there, spaceships may have visited from time to time. Scouts, hunting expeditions, traders, slavers, fugitives, etc. Ewoks could have easily gotten on ships, left the system and entered galactic civilization.

griff wrote:
The phrase "sanctuary moon" seem to put in my mind that this planet was off limits. In "my star wars universe" I give three possibilities to ewoks out and about in the galaxy pre ROTJ...

Those are some good ideas. My impression of the forest moon of Endor being called the Sanctuary Moon was always that the entire system and the moon specifically were off limits due to the Empire officially classifying the moon as a nature preserve, as a cover for its real purpose of building the second Death Star there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: