The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Origins Game Fair (Columbus OH)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups -> Origins Game Fair (Columbus OH) Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news. I love to see any changes that could help bring new people into the hobby.
That's why I have 5 kids. That's a Do-it-yourself game group right there!...

Well that and the, They are fun to make, part.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I missed these posts the other day.

garhkal wrote:
Whill. WE had the discussion about the 'low tier' tables this afternoon for our Pre=Gencon council meeting. It surprisingly went well. What we are looking to do, is for our 2 larger cons (origins and gencon since they have 3+ tables each slot), is to designate one of those tables in some of those slots as a 'lower tier' game only.
HOWEVER, if not enough players with low tier characters show up, then those who are there, might have to play with 1-2 higher tier (10+) characters to round the table out.
They went with Origins and gencon only, cause at least those cons get more 'walk ins' than the others we attend.

When the meeting minutes for this comes out, i will post the fullness of it here.

OK!

Thanks, garhkal! That's awesome. Please make sure these games are clearly marked in the description as new or low tier characters because that will be a real incentive for getting some new players to get started with Sparks and for players (that have characters but didn't like the level-mixing) to come back.

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Great news. I love to see any changes that could help bring new people into the hobby.
That's why I have 5 kids. That's a Do-it-yourself game group right there!...

Well that and the, They are fun to make, part.

And I thought you said 4. Wow, what truly amazing parents you and your wife are!

And hey, did your Star Wars character get a new leg yet?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, got a basic cyborg leg in my Sunday game.

To be fair, there are only four at home, the oldest is 19 and out of the house. So our parenting there is mostly advice and money for collage.

Bonus though, his girlfriend is gaming with us now too!
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:

To be fair, there are only four at home, the oldest is 19 and out of the house. So our parenting there is mostly advice and money for collage.

Nice! That's quite a roleplaying clan you have going.

My son is only 5 but he has just recently taken his first steps into a larger world. I've "ran" the three solitaire mini-adventures from the Adventure Journals and the one in R&E for him, just to introduce the basic ideas of the SW D6 RPG. He likes it and is not intimidated by rolling 5D+2 and adding up all the pips. Today he had a 4D droid programming roll to reprogram a binary load lifter to drop a large container on an Imperial Customs office, and he got three consecutive 6s on his wild die, and barely paused when re-rolling the wild die and continuing his count for total of 30-something. And he didn't even cry when the protocol droid he was playing got blown to pieces... Twice.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
cynanbloodbane wrote:

Nice! That's quite a roleplaying clan you have going.

My son is only 5 but he has just recently taken his first steps into a larger world. I've "ran" the three solitaire mini-adventures from the Adventure Journals and the one in R&E for him, just to introduce the basic ideas of the SW D6 RPG. He likes it and is not intimidated by rolling 5D+2 and adding up all the pips. Today he had a 4D droid programming roll to reprogram a binary load lifter to drop a large container on an Imperial Customs office, and he got three consecutive 6s on his wild die, and barely paused when re-rolling the wild die and continuing his count for total of 30-something. And he didn't even cry when the protocol droid he was playing got blown to pieces... Twice.

That Is SO COOL! Save the character sheet. It will make for a fun look back in about 10-15 years.

BTW, Our closing date on the new house is now July 3rd. 2 weeks and it will be ours! I will see about posting pictures as soon as the Gameroom is up and running.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Our closing date on the new house is now July 3rd. 2 weeks and it will be ours! I will see about posting pictures as soon as the Gameroom is up and running.

Sweet! I can't wait to see the pics of the gameroom.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a rundown of the meeting minutes, here it is as promised..

Quote:
K. ‘Low Tier’ Sparks Events (David Stairs)
3 gamers I know from a SW gamers site, Whill (his screen name there) along with a father-son team (Bronson was the Son's name) were 2 others from the Rancor's pit site, played with us at Origins on 1 of my tables and iirc 2 of Steve's tables. He just asked me over on the Rancor's pit.
"I remember you mentioning that Sparks has had difficult adventures that required a minimum number of sheets (very experienced PCs). Would it be possible for next year for Sparks to do the opposite at Origins? To have some adventures that have a low maximum # of sheets, like 2 sheets or less? That would not only address the common complaint of mixing high and low level PCs together in the same adventure, but it may also encourage some new players getting started with Sparks (a marketing point). Some of us would appreciate it if you could bring it up to the council, and maybe even offer to design or adapt the adventures too. Thank you for your consideration."
The module he is on about was one of mine (Sparks 103) that has a bolded warning in the intro that "This is for experienced characters, sheet 7 and up.  Anyone of a lower sheet wanting to bring a character in needs to understand that but if they still insist, then any death/capture of their PC is on them."
I also think there is at least one other module in a similar boat, which has a similar warning.
So do we have some like that?  Where there is a possible max sheet play level?  Could we develop ones like that, in a way similar to the "kid friendly gaming" that Erin moore proposed back in Dec of last year (posted here by Jim Medley in Message 7997).
Discussion:
Stephen Tucker – We don't have anything like that beyond playing in the older numbers is a better chance of avoiding higher sheet characters (i.e. me).  Communication to players in general that the newer modules will attract higher sheet characters should be considered all the time or standard. I don't know if we can have a module specifically restricted to lower sheets (set a max sheet), but we could easily set a scheduled run of ANY module for lower sheet characters.  This would be more similar to what was done for a kid's table at Vernecon.  They actually played in one of the standard Sparks modules with add on concept and story to make it a school field trip.  We could come up with some notation to use at 'bigger' conventions (Origins, Gencon, etc.) or at smaller conventions WHEN requested (my concern is for smaller conventions we don't get a lot of new players, so this would be hard or limited unless we new so many were coming).  One thought is that if you have 3 or more Sparks tables in the same slot that you could take one of them and run as the 'Low Tier' table.  This could be done through communication when there is an older module that is not requested by a higher sheet character to play.  Also keep in mind that high sheet characters can always reduce their tier if they choose to. Currently we do this by word of mouth recommendation during marshaling (this may not be the best table for a new character, but that one would work).  I like this as an option for conventions with 'sufficient' tables to advertise one as 'Low Tier'.
Andy Hammack – Actually really like the idea. It might give authors more creative input even on the table design for things like seminars, like I was thinking about the other day about the guidelines for NPCs and how like someone with 10D in a skill might be considered 1 in 100,000,000 I think according to the core book. So for players that have over 10D then they wouldn't be sent on "run of the mill" missions but rather tasks appropriate to their nature.  I don't think I would want to do it all the time but I could see the benefit. 
David Stairs – Thanks for addressing this...  Yes I agree, advertising one of 3 tables for say Origins (or 1 of 4 for gencon) would be great for doing this. 
Stephen Tucker – Another quick thought concerning tiering. The generic tiering works pretty well, but events are usually not balanced well unless you do separate blocks of stats.  With this concept all of the existing modules are fine, but potentially going forward it would not be hard to use a block of stats (cut/paste) for 'Low Tier' tables that you know won't go up as high.  This would allow the author to widen out skill balance and then allow the generic tiering to apply to the standard or the 'Low Tier'.  And as a benefit even if not running a 'Low Tier' only table if you have only low sheet players by happenstance, the judge can utilize that stat block.  In general though not much needs to be done from an author perspective.  This would be just setting some guidelines to apply, how to communicate the event for conventions that sell tickets, and when to schedule it appropriately (not when there is only 1 table running, etc.).
This could be a great opportunity for newer players but would have certain schedule limitations.
Never a premiere event
Note that sometimes if 2 tables of a premiere event is run at the same time one can be lower tier and the other higher tier for balance, but it would not be scheduled that way and if there were insufficient players the tables could be combined.
Minimum of 3 Sparks events during the indicated scheduled slot
If the event is by special request (experienced player trying to pick up older missing module), the requestor of the event must be eligible at Sheet 10 or less.
Convention Coordinators can assign an older module even if it was not requested simply for Low Tier use.
Possible anytime the schedule allows for 2 tables of matching events, but as noted above the tables may be condensed to the ‘normal’ table as opposed to ‘Low Tier’ if players would be lost (i.e. make the attempt, but everyone needs to be aware that this result could happen).
Most likely conventions that this would be an option are Gencon and Origins.
Add to the Gencon 2015 Annual meeting for group discussion; additional options or requirements may be realized.
Table for continued discussion at the next meeting with the inclusion of feedback from the Annual meeting.

Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Origins 2016 Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For a rundown of the meeting minutes, here it is as promised.

Designating some existing older modules as low-tier slots is fine because newer characters have played less modules overall while most older characters have likely already played the old ones so would gravitate towards the newer ones. Sounds good! I appreciate your efforts and follow-up!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to see this happen. I will be at the con next year and would love to play. I could also guarentee at least one or two players who would be willing to play as well.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! I know I'll be back every year, with kids in tow as they come of age.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will keep you all up to date since we will discuss this more as a full group not just the Council, when we have our annual group meeting at Gencon.
jawa1138
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Great news! I know I'll be back every year, with kids in tow as they come of age.

Ya that is where I pool my players from. My oldest son is 13 and about to start running his own game campaigns. My younger son is a very ecentric 10 year old who usually plays majorly flawed mages in D&D and just as twisted types in Star Wars such as Jawa Jedi or Jawa Smugglers.

My daughter is 7 and likes the occasional game of D&D though she prefers to play Munchkin most of the time.
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We GOT THE HOUSE! Pics will follow soon, as I have time. The game room will have to wait until my Nature Stone floor is installed some time before August 4.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
We GOT THE HOUSE! Pics will follow soon, as I have time. The game room will have to wait until my Nature Stone floor is installed some time before August 4.

That's awesome! Congratulations!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gaming Groups All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: