The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Using minis in combat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Using minis in combat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Using minis in combat Reply with quote

How do I convert character movement rate for use on a combat map using squares?

Thanks.
headsetguy
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Using minis in combat Reply with quote

I have been playing Pathfinder where one square on a map is typically 5 feet when indoors. In the group I am GM-ing Star Wars with, I have decided to have one square equal one meter which works out to roughly 3 and a third feet. It is a little tight for a character to occupy, but not horrible.
Also, I took out a centimeters tape measure and found that I can count one of these squares as roughly 2.5 meters if I count each centimeter on the tape as one meter. That means two squares equals 5 meters - average cautious movement for most races.
Anyway, I have only played through a short session with the group as they just made character up. The campaign begins in earnest next week and I will see how all of this theory really plays out for me.
Hope this was helpful - or at least not confusing.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Using minis in combat Reply with quote

Rake wrote:

Thanks.

Welcome to the Pit, Rake!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Using minis in combat Reply with quote

Rake wrote:

Thanks.

Step 1. Decide on a hex/square size.
I usually go with 5M a hex till the sides get within say 30 meters of one another, then shift to 2 meters a hex (better for figuring grenade blast radius!)

Step 2, characters move per action is limited to their MOVE rating (half that if going cautious, double if going full, 4x if going all out.

Step 3, compare that move rate to the square size.

So if in Step 1, you have each square or hex representing 5 meters then a character who has a move of 10, going at full speed (2x move) can go 4 spaces.

Oh, and welcome to the pit.
Rake
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the answers. If I were using a square based battle map for space combat, would I simply use the ships space as squares of movement or do a conversion?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were my game (and if I were using the Maps of Mastery space map), I would do 1 square per space unit. It seems simple enough. Since they are just abstractions for relative distance, it would be easy enough.
nuclearwookiee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 1.5m per square, but that's because I played other RPGs as well and got used to base character movement of 6 squares per round (it's been a couple years now, but I'm pretty sure SAGA ed. uses 1.5m as well). For d6, just divide the speed rating by 1.5 and round down. Speed 10 = 6 squares, speed 11 = 7, speed 12 = 8.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rake wrote:
Thanks for the answers. If I were using a square based battle map for space combat, would I simply use the ships space as squares of movement or do a conversion?

When i have done space combat with minis (or tokens), i often go 1 square/hex is 2 SU.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: