The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Wanting to contribute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Wanting to contribute
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Wanting to contribute Reply with quote

I have some things I have made, and would like to share with the community (seems only fair considering the looting I have done!)

What's the best way to make files available for download?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Wanting to contribute Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I have some things I have made, and would like to share with the community (seems only fair considering the looting I have done!)

What's the best way to make files available for download?

You can either post them separately or just start a single topic where you post all your things. I've used both methods, depending on the circumstances.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome! Thanks for participating in this awesome fan community.

Do you mean the actual file hosting?

Lotta folks round here use 4Share, which can be... daunting to use. Google+ Docs is a great file host, as is Dropbox's Public feature.

What sorts of files are you looking to share?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Wild Space Magazine is looking for contributions. Does that sound like something you're interested in being published in?

But, if you're looking at just putting things out on your own either Dropbox or Google Drive work well for most.

I use 4shared, but it's a bad relationship, and we're eventually going to break up.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for 4shared at all. Looks... sketchy...

I have some pdf and docs for GMs and players, and I would like to share my adventurers as I write them. I am noticing a real lack of fan made adventures.

A zillion and one starships, but no print and play adventurers.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a nice neighborhood when I moved in to 4shared. In the passing years it's REALLY gotten sketchy. The adds on the site are designed to cause confusion as to which is your download link, and what is the advertised software.

Dislike.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts exactly. I'd like a simple fileshare service. I'll look into finding a good one.
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easiest and simplest to my mind is still Google+, and with 15+Gb of space for simply signing up for a Google account, it's one of the larger spaces available

Also, if you have an Android phone connected to Google Play, then you already have a Google account you can use for signing into Google Drive...

Next one would be Dropbox, less space at basic/free account, but simple enough to use again...

With either you can control access, either anyone with the link can access your file, or restrict to certain users if you're doing limited beta releases...

Just my .02 cents

[EDIT]
Oh, and welcome to the site!
[/EDIT]

T.C.
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TyCaine wrote:
easiest and simplest to my mind is still Google+, and with 15+Gb of space for simply signing up for a Google account, it's one of the larger spaces available

Also, if you have an Android phone connected to Google Play, then you already have a Google account you can use for signing into Google Drive...

Next one would be Dropbox, less space at basic/free account, but simple enough to use again...

With either you can control access, either anyone with the link can access your file, or restrict to certain users if you're doing limited beta releases...

Just my .02 cents

[EDIT]
Oh, and welcome to the site!
[/EDIT]

T.C.

Seconded.

On all points.

Especially the "welcome to the site" one.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Android phone and a Google account. Looks like Google+ is the way to go. Thanks!

I'll put up a couple of things and try it out.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I have some pdf and docs for GMs and players, and I would like to share my adventurers as I write them. I am noticing a real lack of fan made adventures.

A zillion and one starships, but no print and play adventurers.

I for one would really appreciate some original adventure. That's so awesome of you to want to share your stuff!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
TyCaine
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I have an Android phone and a Google account. Looks like Google+ is the way to go. Thanks!

I'll put up a couple of things and try it out.

It's easy enough, go to https://drive.google.com and sign in with your Google account, same account as Google Play.

you'll see the option to upload content, once uploaded right click on the file you want to share and select "Share" from the pop-up menu.

click on "Get Shareable Link" and you'll see the link that you post to the file, as well as a small dropdown that allows you to say whether "Anyone with the link can view", which can be amended to "Anyone with the link can edit" if you prefer.

view permissions are all that's need as far as I know for everyone to download.

if you prefer to provide specific rights you can add people by their G+ accounts in the box below that, but it's not necessary just to share a file.

and it's as simple as that..... Smile

T.C.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added things to share. I tried putting the links in my sig, but I don't know how well it worked.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm particularly impressed by your exhaustive food and beverage list. Guaranteed to add flavor to any campaign (pun intended).

Keep them coming! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: