The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droid Construction
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droid Construction
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Droid Construction Reply with quote

Is there a limit to the number of attachments a droid can carry? Since there is no weight or space values, I assume the GM has to just say when the poor astromech is stuffed full and can't take anymore goodies.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any rules limiting the number of attachments, just costs and availability as you said. Seems like a GM call to me too.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Droid Construction Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
Is there a limit to the number of attachments a droid can carry? Since there is no weight or space values, I assume the GM has to just say when the poor astromech is stuffed full and can't take anymore goodies.

I'd use R2-D2 as a guideline. He's full (at least until the sequel trilogy).

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pel wrote:
I don't recall any rules limiting the number of attachments, just costs and availability as you said. Seems like a GM call to me too.

Especially with 1st Edition, they really tried to avoid the crunch of specifying exactly how much weight or space everything had. Though the 2nd Edition did quite a bit to add a lot more crunch to the system, they avoided discussing how many hard points a stock droid had. Really, it sounds to me that it is GM fiat as Pel said. Though I suppose one could look to see if FFG has added this dynamic to their droids and go off from there. However, my call would be that so long as the character is not getting absolutely ridiculous with what their droid has, then it's a matter of how they want to spend their credits or other limited resources.

Now, that being said, the things that R2 had in the movies were a little ridiculous... even from eIV. He was a rolling Swiss army knife that had something just for the situation. He had the scomplink when they needed it, he had fire extinguisher, he had the grasper arm to fix the X-Wing. As the movies went on, he just so happened to have an electric shocking welder, he just so happened to have the space to house AND EJECT a lightsaber. When he was shot in eVI, it looked like he had everything and the kitchen sink exposed.

As a plot device, he was full of surprises, fun, and chuckles. It's kind of his job to have just the right thing at just the right time. But, of course, in terms of game mechanics this is ripe for abuse. If the players trick out the droid so that it always seems to be useful at just the right time, then it sounds great. However, in the movies, R2 wasn't the one who always solved the character's problems. He came in at critical times to shut down the garbage mashers, to fix the hyperdrive, and save the character's skins. But the Rebels still had to bluff their way into the shield generator; Luke had to fire the proton torpedoes at the Death Star; and the principle characters all had their place in the spotlight. I'd apply that notion to your game. If you think that the addition is going to make the droid a catch-all solution for the player's problems, then it's a disruption to the game, and I would not allow it. If it allows the droid to act in certain pivotal moments, then that's still fine.

If the droid becomes too central because of its gizmos, then it's time to remove it from the scene. Shoot it with a starfighter scale weapon only to have it repaired at the end. Have the door shut on the droid trapping it away from a principle character. Have a stormtrooper shoot it and short out all of its functions until the end of the scene.

So, for me, it's less than space in the droid, and more about a fit for the story and the game balance.
Jonos
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's the right approach, and I haven't had any issues with balance (My players are great, non munchkins) so I think I'll leave it less complicated and less crunchy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Droid Construction Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:

None that i ever have seen. Usually though what i try is first count up all the attachments on existing models of the droid(s) someone is wanting, to compare how many model X might have left available..
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
As a plot device, he was full of surprises, fun, and chuckles...

So, for me, it's less than space in the droid, and more about a fit for the story and the game balance.

Well said. I concur.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonos wrote:
I haven't had any issues with balance (My players are great, non munchkins) so I think I'll leave it less complicated and less crunchy.

That's awesome.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: