The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Knowledge vs Technical
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Knowledge vs Technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject: Knowledge vs Technical Reply with quote

A PC needs to roll to know what difference is between a kind of power cell.

What do they roll?

Is knowledge only applicable for a skill that cannot be tied to perception, mechanical, or technical.
Random_Axe
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely this is a KNO: Technology skill roll. Anything in MEC or TEC categories are skills for "doing" things, operating or repairing or manipulating. To know or understand how a thing works is definitely a KNO skill.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he have a relevant repair skill?

You don't need a knowledge skill to know the difference between a bandaid and a tournequet if you have 6D in first aid. So if he has a relevant repair/technical skill, Id say use the tech skill or at least provide a bonus to the knowledge skill.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Knowledge vs Technical Reply with quote

Random_Axe wrote:
Definitely this is a KNO: Technology skill roll. Anything in MEC or TEC categories are skills for "doing" things, operating or repairing or manipulating. To know or understand how a thing works is definitely a KNO skill.

Technology is a 1e skill. For 2e, aspects of it were rolled into the Value skill and the Technical attribute, but the Technology skill itself does not exist in 2e. I happen to agree with the update.

tetsuoh wrote:
A PC needs to roll to know what difference is between a kind of power cell.

What do they roll?

I see the repair skills as including general technical knowledge of that type of technology. If the power cells in question are used for a specific kind of technology the PC has a Technical skill for (i.e. repulsorlifts, droids, starfighters, etc.), I would let him use that skill. If not, then it would probably just be base Technical.

Now if the question is more marketplace based such as knowing the difference between good and bad brands of power cells, consumer reviews and such, then it could be the Value skill under Knowledge. And like Naaman said, you could even allow a small bonus to that for a high relevant Technical skill.

tetsuoh wrote:
Is knowledge only applicable for a skill that cannot be tied to perception, mechanical, or technical.

I'm of the mind to say yes in general.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
tetsuoh
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This became an arguement in my game....... a very heated one.

With our tech stating that he wanted to roll his Power Generation skill, and our bookworm wanting to roll Scholar: Technology.

In the end I gave them both the roll - at the same difficulty as there was no reason to assume that the difficult for the knowledge of knowing what the difference between the two cells would be, should for some reason not follow the general rules of the knowledge stat.

This pissed off my tech as they wanted a lower difficulty, which set off the scholar ........

The closest I could come up with was the knowledge examples. And while it may have seemed fair that the tech get a lower difficulty - the truth is that the only real time I've noticed difficulty reduction like that is from the languages skill and it says to make the difficulty lower for someone who specializes - like the scholar did. And I didn't do that as that is ridiculous since that would mean they would get the benefit of a cheaper skill choice and a lower difficulty.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did your tech get that power generation skill from?

Even in 1e days i don't remember something like that existing.
Whill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one question.

tetsuoh wrote:
This became an arguement in my game....... a very heated one.

With our tech stating that he wanted to roll his Power Generation skill, and our bookworm wanting to roll Scholar: Technology.

In the end I gave them both the roll - at the same difficulty as there was no reason to assume that the difficult for the knowledge of knowing what the difference between the two cells would be, should for some reason not follow the general rules of the knowledge stat.

This pissed off my tech as they wanted a lower difficulty, which set off the scholar ........

The closest I could come up with was the knowledge examples. And while it may have seemed fair that the tech get a lower difficulty - the truth is that the only real time I've noticed difficulty reduction like that is from the languages skill and it says to make the difficulty lower for someone who specializes - like the scholar did. And I didn't do that as that is ridiculous since that would mean they would get the benefit of a cheaper skill choice and a lower difficulty.

I'm not sure why you didn't mention these details in your original post, but thanks for coming back and clarifying what lead to your question.

Scholar is academic knowledge that doesn't always have a lot of real world applications, but it can sometimes provide small bonuses to other skills. And I don't think I would even allow a Scholar: Technology specialization. That seems to general. And as I've stated, I tend view the technical skills as including knowledge of the technology in question.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. Kinda goes without saying, IMHO.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one reason i really wish the Knowledge skill Technology would have been kept from 1e to 2e.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's one reason i really wish the Knowledge skill Technology would have been kept from 1e to 2e.

It's too general and misplaced. I feel it belongs in the Technical attribute (except for the aspect that went to Value).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: