The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> The Star Wars Canon reset button has been pressed Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have come up before, but I can't seem to find it, so here goes...

While there are certain parts of the EU that I will truly miss, I found myself yesterday thinking about how glad I am that certain parts of the EU are gone. I've always considered any of the works of Kevin J. Anderson to be teeth-gratingly awful, with a lot of the material from Dark Horse comics following right behind.

What of the old EU are you glad is now a Legend?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vong (waste of a perfectly good SSD, among other things)
The Crystal Star
Planet of Twilight
Darksaber (worthwhile idea, but a truly awful book)
Skippy the Jedi Droid
The Sun Crusher (neat idea, but supernovae in a can was way too much)
Starkiller
Starkiller's Clone
The Millenium Falcon was almost a gigantic suicide bomb.

Just to name a few.

And some things I will miss if they're never returned to even semi-canon status:

Thrawn
Mara Jade
The X-wing novels (the old ones, not that last abomination with the dancing stripper Gamorrean)
Han. Shot. First.
Shistavanens
Lumiya
Lancer Frigates. Sure, they're plain, but they swat starfighters like Nanja Flies.
Corran Horn
Kir Kanos
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said something to this effect before, but not so bluntly, so here goes. I'm not sad OR happy that anything is gone. It's ALL pretend, and so is the idea of a hard and fast canon. Within the context of playing D6 games, nothing is or ever was official unless the present gamemaster says so. If your GM says that Ronald McDonald is SW canon, then he is!

Canon or not should only really matter to the attorneys sorting out licensing deals with real-world money on the line. This stuff is like ancient Greek mythology, it changes over time, and that's ok.

But since you asked...

I am actually glad that jedi-witches who ride rancors are gone!

Actually that reminds me, pardon me while I go retrieve my good old lead rancor model out of the basement to finally paint up. Been hanging onto that guy since '99.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
I've said something to this effect before, but not so bluntly, so here goes. I'm not sad OR happy that anything is gone. It's ALL pretend, and so is the idea of a hard and fast canon.

I've pretty much not cared very much since I first heard the news. I may have had a pang of, "Oh, too bad Thraw may or may not be recognized. But, that's about it. When I've seen (largely on other boards, but sometimes here) the vitriol attached to something imaginary, it's quite baffling. Good thing the internet is such a recent invention, or we might have wound up with long and bitter flame wars about which Aurthurian legends were the "real" ones, and how Le Morte d'Arthur ruined EVERYTHING. CHILDHOOD RUINED!

TauntaunScout wrote:
Within the context of playing D6 games, nothing is or ever was official unless the present gamemaster says so. If your GM says that Ronald McDonald is SW canon, then he is!

I just had to see if this had been done before.

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/56500/Ronald-McDonald-as-Darth-Vader-56673.jpg

I was not disappointed.

TauntaunScout wrote:

But since you asked...

I am actually glad that jedi-witches who ride rancors are gone!

But the stats for sentient rancors were the best long-running joke we ever had on these boards. Anyone else remember the idea of "Fluffy," the sentient rancor PC?
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still using old stuff in my games, so don't care...... as for dis-no getting my money for the new BS, not really........ I conveniently ignore it personally so it don't effect me at all. personally I can just pretend it don't exist in my own games. I'm not very vitriol filled in it, I just ignore it. for my personal star wars universe, because I don't care for the changes.
Pel
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panzerjedi wrote:
The Empire: We'z Ownz ALL yer'z Star Destoyerz!!!

All your ISD are belong to us. Laughing

[fanboy]But, but, what's the point of devoting countless years to becoming a fount of Star Wars knowledge if the new owners are just going to rewrite everything??? Does Disney think they OWN Star Wars or something??[/fanboy] Very Happy
Panzerjedi
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they may...... own...... it... that doesn't mean I must buy in to it... or can't ignore some or all or do what I want at my gaming table...
cynanbloodbane
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if the toys are an indication, and sometimes they are not, Boba Fett surviving the sarlac pit may become Canon again.
http://collider.com/star-wars-force-friday-toys-vehicles-action-figures-images/
Scroll down and you will see Episode 7 Slave 1. Not proof by any streach, but still fun.

Scroll past the 100 combinations lightsaber kit or you may start twitching. Lock for the Black Titanium Series ships.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:
Well, if the toys are an indication, and sometimes they are not, Boba Fett surviving the sarlac pit may become Canon again.
http://collider.com/star-wars-force-friday-toys-vehicles-action-figures-images/
Scroll down and you will see Episode 7 Slave 1. Not proof by any streach, but still fun.

Scroll past the 100 combinations lightsaber kit or you may start twitching. Lock for the Black Titanium Series ships.

This? It actually says Episode IV Slave 1 which has to be a typo, and they could mean Episode II or V. However Boba Fett may still have survived the Sarlaac in the new canon, whether he is in TFA or not. He may appear in something else like a novel or comic book.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Toys R Us close to home and they are having a Star Wars Day where they reopen the store next Thursday night at 12:01 AM (technically 9/4), and the manager told me the entire seasonal section plus front areas of the store will be all Star Wars. I'm going to go for the fun of it just to check it out. I'm not going to buy anything for TFA until after I see the movie in December, but they are going to have stuff for the whole franchise.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Barrataria
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cynanbloodbane wrote:

Never was otherwise in my mind! Why else would one have a gigantic monster that digests its prey over 1000 years? Now that you mention it that's probably the first thing that 14 year old me thought would be included in Episode 7 (which 14 year old me figured would be out in just a few years!!!)

I've always assumed he'd be around in my post-Endor campaign but never done anything with him. I have used Joda Kast (yes, female, and the whole concept of a fake Boba Fett amuses me too much to resist).
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is supposedly going to be a stand alone film centered around Boba Fett’s origin story (i.e., after Ep. II but before Ep. V).
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
There is supposedly going to be a stand alone film centered around Boba Fett’s origin story (i.e., after Ep. II but before Ep. V).

A stand-alone film dealing with Boba is just a rumor at this point, although with the character's (baffling) popularity, I wouldn't doubt that the third anthology film could have him. But we already have a Boba Fett "origin" story. It's called Attack of the Clones...

LAMA SU: Apart from his pay, which is considerable, Fett demanded only one thing - an unaltered clone for himself.

OBI-WAN: Unaltered?

LAMA SU: Pure genetic replication. No tampering with the structure to make it more docile... and no growth acceleration...

...Boba watches his dad get decapitated by a Jedi, then inherits his armor and ship. The origin of Boba Fett.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t disagree; that’s just what they called it. I think they really just meant “a Boba Fett adventure” set in the classic period. Remember before the Disney sale how for years and years they were talking about a live action TV series? They must have /some/ ideas left over from that.
Whill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
I don’t disagree; that’s just what they called it. I think they really just meant “a Boba Fett adventure” set in the classic period.

Who is "they" though? It wasn't Disney.

Falconer wrote:
Remember before the Disney sale how for years and years they were talking about a live action TV series? They must have /some/ ideas left over from that.

Yes I remember. Before RotS came out and Lucas had said he is done with SW after it, I was going to let my SW Insider subscription expire after the RotS home video release. That live-action show in development was the reason I never cancelled, until the Disney sale and new films on the horizon gave me a reason to keep getting Insider.

It has been officially stated that Rebels was in part inspired by the live-action TV series plans, but I do remember hearing about Boba Fett's possible appearance on the live action show, played by the same kid who played him in AotC. I recently heard a rumour that Sabine from Rebels is Boba Fett's daughter, but she was born during the Clone Wars when Boba Fett would have been still been a tween so I sincerely doubt Disney would do that (even if he had hit puberty and it may have been physically possible).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: