The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Ships with large crews
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Ships with large crews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gadora
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:33 am    Post subject: Ships with large crews Reply with quote

I have to be missing something, but I (obviously, else I'd not be missing it) can't see where it says how a ship with a crew of over one actually works. Take a... let's say a Gallofree Medium Transport, crewed by a party of four PCs and some NPCs to round things out. Who rolls what? If people get injured, what do you do if the crew is below the crew rating, but well above the skeleton crew?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules never touched on the "who does what." I've done things such as dividing things up between sensors, shields, piloting, a co-pilot (for which I have some home-brew rules), and I've sometimes put someone in engineering.

I just try to make sure that I have rolls for everyone to do once the time comes to have a starship encounter.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the opening section of the Starships chapter of the main sourcebook, it states that, basically, one person makes the decisions about what the ship will do (the captain), but uses the Crew Skills dice levels rather than his own. No mention is made of whether or not MAPs apply, but I would think not, as a ship is crewed by multiple beings performing different actions.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested, here is a concept I came up with regarding using Command in starship combat for ships with large crews.

Somewhere around here, I also proposed applying modifiers to the base Crew Skill ratings based on the quality of the crew. My original concept came from Battlefleet Gothic, but it also shows up in the Capital Ship chapter of the Star Wars Rules Companion.

EDIT: Here is is:
Quote:
Another change I'd like to add is a crew quality modifier to the crew skills stat. It'd look something like this:
    Inexperienced: 0D
    Experienced: +1D
    Veteran: +2D
    Elite: +3D
Basically, the modifier would provide a guideline for GMs to increase the effectiveness of ships that the character's might face to provide them with a more formidable challenge on a ship-by-ship basis.

crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill - I'm taking it that this would apply to a crew of a PC ship also. The longer the crew has worked together, the better they are.

Where the heck was this suggestion 15+ years ago when I was captaining a Nebulon frigate in a Privateer campaign? The crew was pretty tight and effective after about a year in game time.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
crmcneill - I'm taking it that this would apply to a crew of a PC ship also. The longer the crew has worked together, the better they are.

In the case where the PCs are the entire crew, then no. Increase in skill levels would be the result of the individual PCs increasing their own skills through adventuring. I would be willing to say that, with a group of PCs operating together, the Command difficulty to coordinate their actions would decrease over time, representing their experience working as a team.

The intent behind the rule is for NPCs, either that of allied or enemy ships, or of ships under the PCs' command, to represent the varying degrees of skill level found between rookie and elite crew. It can be applied to everything from a single seat fighter all the way up to a super star destroyer as needed.

Quote:
Where the heck was this suggestion 15+ years ago when I was captaining a Nebulon frigate in a Privateer campaign? The crew was pretty tight and effective after about a year in game time.

15+ years ago, I was in college. I hope that helps. Wink

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ships with large crews Reply with quote

Gadora wrote:
I have to be missing something, but I (obviously, else I'd not be missing it) can't see where it says how a ship with a crew of over one actually works. Take a... let's say a Gallofree Medium Transport, crewed by a party of four PCs and some NPCs to round things out. Who rolls what? If people get injured, what do you do if the crew is below the crew rating, but well above the skeleton crew?

IMO the person in each of the spots
Engineering power control
pilot chair (or for multiple seat required ships, operators chairs)
sensor
shields/comms
rolls their own skills.

In the gallofree's case, i have the highest one of the 4 roll.
crazydanny1
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crmcneill - I was playing the captain. The rest of the crew were NPCs. My other PC was a fighter pilot stationed on board, so I think your rule would've worked. It's a great suggestion that I will probably incorporate if i run a game like that.

http://swbloodlines.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Bloodlines_Wiki
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazydanny1 wrote:
crmcneill - I was playing the captain. The rest of the crew were NPCs. My other PC was a fighter pilot stationed on board, so I think your rule would've worked. It's a great suggestion that I will probably incorporate if i run a game like that.

Gotcha. It occurs to me that this rule would allow a character to treat a capital ship like a single-pilot starfighter, save that he is using Command to pilot it, as opposed to Starfighter Piloting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: