The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hyperdrives - Overhauls and Microjumps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Hyperdrives - Overhauls and Microjumps
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Hyperdrives - Overhauls and Microjumps Reply with quote

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone is aware of any rulings on what constitutes a Jump. I am curious because I know that one hyperspace trip between planets or along a trade route would constitute in many cases a number of shorter jumps. (Stopping at a beacon, adjusting course and proceeding along your way)

I would like this information to get an idea of when the party should require a hyperdrive overhaul. Page 31 of Tramp Freighters mentions an overhaul should be done every 20 jumps. While I am not excessively concerned with this mechanic as it is normally used as a plot device, I wanted a rough Idea of when the hyperdrive check engine light is likely to turn on.

So for example if a ship is travelling from say coruscant to Spice Terminus in the Outer Rim would that be considered one jump, or should a couple jumps be factored in.

Also in a micro-jump where the ship never leaves the solar system, would that be counted as well?

Perhaps I am being a little anal retentive but I am curious if this ever came up for anyone.
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I treat travel from one planet to another as one jump.

I'll fudge the rules a bit if it gets in the way of the fun. If my players don't remember to do it I'll just have the hyperdrive break down at a time convenient for me. Like if they want to go to a planet I haven't built yet. A shirt delay gives me time to read the wookieepedia article and improve a few key spots.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we don't know how hyperspace works, we don't really have a scientific basis to challenge what WEG says in this instance. I would say that, with the overhaul needed every 20 jumps, the most demanding part of the jump (as far as the drive is concerned) is the entry to and exit from hyperspace (which every jump must have regardless of its length or difficulty). Basically, it doesn't matter if the ship is making 20 jumps from Coruscant to Spice Terminus or 20 microjumps within a system; it is still entering and exiting hyperspace 20 times, and that is what puts a strain on the drive.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed the double topic.

I'd say each jump, no matter the length, would count since the hyperdrive motivator (as well as all the other parts) would be put to use no matter the duration.

Long duration jumps would probably count as more than one jump, IMHO.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I'd say each jump, no matter the length, would count since the hyperdrive motivator (as well as all the other parts) would be put to use no matter the duration.

Long duration jumps would probably count as more than one jump, IMHO.

Seems fair. The 1E Tramp Freighters fuel cell rules might provide some guidance as to how one trip might stack up against another.

As far as micro-jumps, IIRC (from reading the Thrawn Trilogy), micro-jumps were rarely performed because they were, in their own way, just as difficult as a longer jump. The appropriate quote is:
Quote:
Conventional military wisdom frowned on this business of picking a spot just outside the target system as a jumping-off point-it was considered dangerously easy for one or more ships to get lost on the way to such a rendezvous, and it was difficult to make an accurate hyperspace jump over so short a distance.

My guess is that, where a longer jump would require multiple course changes, a micro-jump's challenge is in both the relatively crowded nature of a star system relative to interstellar space, and in jump duration, which would require extreme precision to end the jump at the intended arrival point.

Mikael Hasselstein
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the per-jump idea.

I do have some extra thoughts on the matter, but these are musings of my own and should be treated as such.

In the way that I understand the time/distance scale of the galaxy, hyperspace travel takes a fair amount of time (e.g. Tatooine to Coruscant 6.65 days; Bonadan to Spice Terminus 18.21 days). Given that amount of time, people will want to stop off along the way to take a breather, get fresh air, food, etc. Doing that will require a drop out of hyperspace and a jump back in.

Also, I imagine that while in hyperspace travel is mostly calculable, but slight errors in laying in courses can cause ships to drift off course in minute ways, but minute errors over lightyears can count up. Nav computers can't verify their own location, unless they're near a beacon. It requires them to be in real space to verify that they are where they believe themselves to be. A prudent captain will, therefore, come out of hyperspace every once in a while and recalibrate her ship's precise location and re-set the course. That also helps in astrogation over longer distances. You don't have to plot the entire course for the long trip; just the course for the jump at hand.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikael Hasselstein wrote:
Given that amount of time, people will want to stop off along the way to take a breather, get fresh air, food, etc. Doing that will require a drop out of hyperspace and a jump back in.

"Uh, Mr. Solo...?"

"Yeah, kid?"

"I gotta go."

"I thought I told you do that before we left!"

Urban Spaceman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following on from this, is Hyperspace travel in a straight line?
I'd always assumed it was, more or less, so am interested in other peoples views.
For strange, less common journeys, I'd always supposed people calculated 2 or more jumps, as they are not using commonly used or mapped space lanes (hence why it would take longer even though the actual point-to-point distance between start and end might not be much further apart than two commonly travelled routes).
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urban Spaceman wrote:
Following on from this, is Hyperspace travel in a straight line?
I'd always assumed it was, more or less, so am interested in other peoples views.

Looking at WEG's maps, it does not appear so. Most of their routes seem to weave back and forth, likely to avoid stellar phenomenon of some kind.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: