The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

One of mine for you to ponder
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> One of mine for you to ponder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: One of mine for you to ponder Reply with quote

Often in game there are situations where a PC gets targeted by something of 'larger' scale, whether its a cap ship shooting someone who is in a freighter, or when on foot getting shot at by walkers or vehicles.

One thing i have taken to doing at times, is offering the choice to the player getting shot at, as to whether i go BTB in that the PC adds the scale difference to THEIR dodge (or to hit if they are the ones shooting), OR optionally where i Subtract the same # of dice from the to hit pool (or dodge if the PC's are the ones shooting) from the enemy.

So in a case where say an AT-ST gunner has a 7d+1 gunnery, 2d+1 fire control, he is rolling 9d+2 vs the pc's say 6d dodge +4d scale, OR using my option the 6d is rolled as normal, but the imp shoots with 5d+2 instead...

Has anyone else done anything like this? If you gave that option to YOUR players, how many do you think would prefer THAT option vice going the BTB way of 'buckets-o-dice"??
Phalanks Balas
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Garhkal,

I see 2 raisons to reduce the number of dice of AT-ST gunner in your exemple.
first it is always easy to roll less dice.
Second the scale cap affect the weapon used by the gunner, not the player caracter who dodge as she can with her own skill.

A day you will be facing the guns of the Black Pearl. You will know what means damned pirates !
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea myself. I don't see any reason it can't work both ways.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use both, in my eyes they're pretty much interchangeable. Sometimes it's player choice, sometimes I just let them know what I've opted for.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ankhanu.. How have your players liked the 'lessening the dice' option? Do they prefer it? Do they get the same when it goes the other way (them rolling damage/soak vs something higher scale)?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were thd player, I would always opt to reduce the NPC's dice in hopes of reducing his skill roll to 0.

I would always opt to add the scale difference to my dice so as to prevent the reduction of dice to 0.
Ankhanu
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the players I've had have been less invested in mechanics than I've been... they hadn't really said one way or the other.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
If I were thd player, I would always opt to reduce the NPC's dice in hopes of reducing his skill roll to 0.

I would always opt to add the scale difference to my dice so as to prevent the reduction of dice to 0.

In the past, when i have offered the rule, it does come with the caveat that you can't reduce a die pool to 0 or lower with the penalty. So if a fighter pilot shooting at a character, only had 5d gunnery and NO fire control, his scale difference of 6d could NOT get taken off his skill, only added to the dodge.

Otherwise you could get into a situation where someone with say a 3d strength, could not even Roll to soak damage from a walker.
dic1
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also depends on if you are using rules like bonus damage for rolling over the target number.
From the example walker 9D+2 possible total in the 40 to 50 range, Character 10D possibly rolling under 20. A 20 to 30 point difference.

Walker 5D+2 possible total high 20's to 30, Character 6D should roll at least 10 thats reduced the difference by half which would greatly reduce the bonus to damage.

That said my group tends to like to see how high a total you can get and would go BTB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: