The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmanski
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: The Force Awakens (original spoilers thread) Reply with quote

I have just seen it and I need to process.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS ARE WELCOME.

If you have not seen The Force Awakens, turn back now!
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: The Force Awakens. Spoilers are welcome. Beware! Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
I have just seen it and I need to process.

Rgr that.

My big question, who is her father, Me being me I argued the 2 picks to my wife picking the other one from what she picked. ... She eventually roll her eyes and did the 'I don't like you any more' thing she does when she knows she can't win ...

I may be odd, but the part I like best in the movie was when the Dark Jedi/Sith/what ever he is titled was raging in the torture room and the 2 troopers walked up, stopped, looked at each other, and turned and walked away. That made me smirk a bit inside. Especially, as I have be in a situation where the ole man was having a bad day, it was better for me to not give my briefing and avoid the thunder and fury swirling around him than give him the report he requested ...

It may have been a minor point in the movie, but it struck me as fitting just right

Forgive all spelling errors.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we'd find out who Rey's father was also. I was a little disappointed that we didn't.

Now that I've seen it, I am okay with them flushing the old EU down the toilet and starting from scratch. It was risky, but I think it was the right decision.

The scene with Han..... sheesh. My wife was sniffling.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Kylo Ren stopped the blaster bolt with force TK... I don't know how, but I want it.
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, did anyone else have a nerdgasim when the officer informed Ren when they escape in a YT model freighter.

Second, Rey could be a Skywalker, why else would she have such a reaction to touching they Skywalkers' lightsaber. I'm thinking Luke's kid, hidden on Jukuu to keep her safe from Snoke.
jmanski

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was so so so happy when Han called out "Ben" and not Jacen. Would've liked to see Chewie rage for a little while longer, though.

And the Rey/Kylo Ren duel was great. When she trusted in the Force and started whipping his @$$ I wanted to cheer out loud.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

griff wrote:
First, did anyone else have a nerdgasim when the officer informed Ren when they escape in a YT model freighter.

No. I had my nerdsplosion when they said that the TIE Fighter had a mag pulse.

griff wrote:

Second, Rey could be a Skywalker, why else would she have such a reaction to touching they Skywalkers' lightsaber. I'm thinking Luke's kid, hidden on Jukuu to keep her safe from Snoke.

Yeah. She's a Skywalker. They never said it, but they put SOOO many post-it notes on the gal saying, "Whose daughter is she?" "Where are her parents?" "Why does she seem familiar?"

I'm pretty sure the paternity test is going to come back with Luke's name on it.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:

Yeah. She's a Skywalker. They never said it, but they put SOOO many post-it notes on the gal saying, "Whose daughter is she?" "Where are her parents?" "Why does she seem familiar?"

I'm pretty sure the paternity test is going to come back with Luke's name on it.

I pointed out to a friend of mine that Rey is everything that Anakin was made out to be from Episode 4. "A star pilot and a cunning warrior." truncated qoute is mine...

If she isn't Luke's daughter, they're leading you to that belief with everything that they do with the character.
Ninjaxenomorph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another less widespread belief I've seen is that she is descended from Obi-Wan somehow. That was Ewan McGregor calling her name in the vision she got, it was confirmed by Kenobi's VA in Clone Wars (who recorded the original line, before they actually got Ewan)
lurker
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, me being me and arguing just to be a devils advocate .... like I did with my wife with this same conversation.

Isn't it just as likely that she is Han and Liea's daughter ???? She was saying Han's thoughts as he was thinking them, fitting so perfectly into the falcon. had early Han's ill luck and 'oh this is bad' reactions.

No they don't mention Han and Leia having a daughter, but that is because they are so focused on their corrupted, fallen son ...

And Yes, if someone would have been arguing for Han, I'd make the arguments you all have already made for her to be Luke's

My wife finally gave up and did her eye roll 'I don't like you any more' thing when she knows she can't win no matter what.

Quote:

And the Rey/Kylo Ren duel was great. When she trusted in the Force and started whipping his @$$ I wanted to cheer out loud.

Rgr that!

Quote:

When Kylo Ren stopped the blaster bolt with force TK... I don't know how, but I want it.

That too!

Forgive all spelling errors.
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja,

I'd be okay with that too...
Bobmalooga
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurker wrote:
Ok, me being me and arguing just to be a devils advocate .... like I did with my wife with this same conversation.

Isn't it just as likely that she is Han and Liea's daughter ???? She was saying Han's thoughts as he was thinking them, fitting so perfectly into the falcon. had early Han's ill luck and 'oh this is bad' reactions.

No they don't mention Han and Leia having a daughter, but that is because they are so focused on their corrupted, fallen son ...

And Yes, if someone would have been arguing for Han, I'd make the arguments you all have already made for her to be Luke's

My wife finally gave up and did her eye roll 'I don't like you any more' thing when she knows she can't win no matter what.

My only problem with her being Leia and Han's daughter (and I thought they were going to turn out to be twins, her and Kylo...) is that it would have been addressed. Either by Han or Leia. Her being Luke's daughter (at least the implication of that...) appears to be the way they were going. Everything from the saber calling to her, to her being the female version of everything Anakin was supposed to be. Add to that Chewbacca takes an immediate liking to her and Han, once he hears her name softens to her taking on an almost paternal role and offering her a place on his crew, just like he did with Luke.

Or they kept it vague so that we would spend the next two years talking about this ad nausem! LOL
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The Force Awakens. SPOILERS welcome (in this thread) BEW Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Once again. SPOILERS ARE WELCOME.

If you have not seen The Force Awakens, turn back now!

Jmanski, great idea to just specify Spoilers in the thread title (and is second post). No matter how you get to a thread, you have to see the thread title first so this works. This saves those of us who have seen the film the trouble of doing the font colour thing in this thread.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmanski wrote:
Now that I've seen it, I am okay with them flushing the old EU down the toilet and starting from scratch. It was risky, but I think it was the right decision.

I'm not sure how it was risky. Not to diminish the large number of us Star Wars fans who read books, but a larger percentage of Star Wars fans don't. Sadly, the majority of people in the world don't ever read anything unless they have to. So, there are a larger percentage of fans who are just fans of the movies (and TV shows) who have never read a single EU book, so they were never enamored of it before the flushing. Those people aren't here, because forums involves reading and writing. IMO, Disney realized that the creative freedom to not be bound to EU continuity significantly outweighed the risk of alienating some EU fans. And I'll bet a large portion of those fans paid to watch the movie anyway, if nothing else just to fuel their bash. Disney still got their money despite the film contradicting the EU. And early box office figures are already proving Disney made the right decision.

griff wrote:

It did bring a smile to my face, but I would have preferred they had been more specific and said YT-1300 because there are dozens of different YT models. But I suppose even just YT is still better than a ship that matches the markings of a freighter that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley.

lurker wrote:
I may be odd, but the part I like best in the movie was when the Dark Jedi/Sith/what ever he is titled was raging in the torture room and the 2 troopers walked up, stopped, looked at each other, and turned and walked away. That made me smirk a bit inside...

It may have been a minor point in the movie, but it struck me as fitting just right

The only odd thing is that it's the part you liked best. I loved it too. Vader and the other prior Dark Siders were always calm and reserved until really provoked into anger. Ren just flies off the handle into a rage and destroys stuff at the drop of a hat. It's the Dark Side! For a franchise that is highly self-derivative in some ways, I can really appreciate differences like this.

jmanski wrote:
I was so so so happy when Han called out "Ben" and not Jacen.

Me too.

jmanski wrote:
The scene with Han..... sheesh. My wife was sniffling.

Even though I had predicted it when I first heard of Harrison Force's involvement in the new film, it was done well and my eyes watered... and they watered again the second time I saw the film. I'm really surprised this isn't what everyone is talking about!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: