The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Down hill Slalom racing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Down hill Slalom racing!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Down hill Slalom racing! Reply with quote

With all of those on earth who enjoy snow sports/winter sports, i am surprised we never saw anywhere that listed rules for snow skiing, or slalom races..

So if you had a game where you had to do some slalom racing (where you have those flag gates to go through), what sort of skill(s) would you be seeing used? What sort of difficulty level would you see it being?
gahlblah
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing, sledding etc could be a fun little thing to do to have characters escape from some imperials or something.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely different than Running, but having done some skiing, I'd say it would be a Dexterity skill.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would just the base 'athletics' skill cover it, or could you use profession (skier)?

Should defaulting to dex make the difficulty go up?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a lot of this depends on the situation. How often would you be using the skill in your campaign?

If it were a regular thing, making it a specialization of Athletics seems reasonable. However, if you were doing a one-off chase scene in a campaign (like if you were escaping from an enemy camp like in Willow on an improvised sled), then I would put in a series of different challenges requiring different dexterity and strength rolls for the duration of the scene.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i was thinking of my third installment of my 'Laser cannon rally" three part module. So far the module has 3 "Heats" each heat being one module of time (3hr 40 min play time), each "Heat" is broken down into 6-7 segments, each a different competition. Such as one portion of heat one, they have to break into a nav buoy and hack out some comm info (showing computer and communication skill) to get the nav data needed to make it to the next place in line (astrogation).

I was thinking for Heat 3, Two of the competition parts would start with a Parachute/skydive onto a mountain top followed by a Slalom like race down the snow packed mountain.. with a rest break at the resort below...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: