The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need help creating a character (New to this game)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Need help creating a character (New to this game)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinagami56
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Need help creating a character (New to this game) Reply with quote

Hi guys me and my RP group were wanting to start playing West End's Star Wars and I am needing help with creating a Jedi character who is more focused on using the force and diplomacy than a light saber. and if there is something out there for it i would like to make him the same race as Yoda.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help creating a character (New to this game) Reply with quote

shinagami56 wrote:
Hi guys me and my RP group were wanting to start playing West End's Star Wars and I am needing help with creating a Jedi character who is more focused on using the force and diplomacy than a light saber. and if there is something out there for it i would like to make him the same race as Yoda.

Welcome to the Pit! Yoda's species has never been revealed, and there are no official game stats for his species. However there probably are homebrew stats out there, but I wouldn't know where. Someone else here probably could help with that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type: Jedi
Species/Gender: Mussfa/Male Age: 800 Height: 2'10" Weight: 55 kilograms
Description: Short, green species who appear very old. Like his entire species he spent his first 750 years in a mindless state called "viragoss".

DEXTERITY 3D
Dodge 4D, Lightsaber 4D
KNOWLEDGE 4D
Bureaucracy 5D
MECHANICAL 2D
PERCEPTION 4D
Investigation 6D
STRENGTH 2D+2
TECHNICAL 2D+1
Computer Programming/Repair 4D+1

Special Abilities: Control 1D, Sense 1D
-- Control: Accelerate healing, Control pain
-- Sense: Life detection, Life sense, Sense Force

Equipment: Lightsaber (Difficult, 5D).
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the species name "Mussfa" coming from?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

750 years in a mindless state????

Whosever idea that was needs to watch some Star Wars:
"For 800 years have I trained jedi..."

"When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not."

Anyway,, here are my recommendations:

Decide which Force powers are most relavent to your concept. Will the character rely on skills like àffect mind to "influence" others? Will he use telepathy to gain insight into what people want, and use that information to enhance his persuson/bargain skills?

Depending how your character wants to use the Force, you'll want to emphaize either sense or alter.

Also consider in which way your character will support the group in a fight. Will he just do the standard lightsaber thing? Be a gunner on the ship? Be a pilot? Use the Force to lock down or disable opponents? In the case of the latter, place some emphasis on alter. Since ROTS, we now know that Powers like Force push are okay to use against living beings.

As for his attributes, Perception is the obvious priority. Also, consider investing in Willpower and certain other knowledge skills. Depending on the GM's style, skills like bureaucracy, law enforcement and cultures may be more or less useful, but if they are useful, the are certainly appropriate for your character.

Finally, you NEED lightsaber combat in order to use the lightsaber properly. Without it, the lightsaber is a rather ineffective weapon. The caveat here is that you'll need at least 3D in sense and control to derive any benefit once the power is active.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea was he wanted a species like Yoda. The race has never been statted. So I created one that has no additional bonus but is essentially "Yoda" with nothing special.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinagami56 wrote:
i would like to make him the same race as Yoda.

shootingwomprats wrote:
The idea was he wanted a species like Yoda.

Nope.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
shinagami56 wrote:
i would like to make him the same race as Yoda.

shootingwomprats wrote:
The idea was he wanted a species like Yoda.

Nope.

I agree. But hey, if he wants something that looks like Yoda's species, hey we can do that. So that is why I created the species. Also, Yoda is 800 years old, how do I mechanically take this into account? I make it so the species isn't even sentient for 750+ years.

So there you go, no new mechanics, no obscure species write-up needed, its done. I thought it was a decent compromise myself.
@swd6podcast, Twitter
DB 2.0
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the EU/Legends there are 4-6 members of Yoda's Race to be seen and perhaps an other dozen "That could be" scattered around, in the canon there are two and an other maybe. you may have a tough time getting the race past the GM especially if he is a huge SW Nerd, but don't let that stop you from trying.

you want to play a Jedi Consular, open with Sense, then pick up Control before moving on to Alter, once you achieve a fair score in control you can then focus on Sense and Alter. skill wise it will be tough for you in an Action game, you will be better off in an Adventure or Intrigue game, but for your Combat portfolio Lightsaber Skill. Lightsaber Combat Control/Sense power and perhaps some Lightsaber Advanced skills (if your GM goes in for that sort of thing), for ship skills look at Shields, Sensors and Commutations. Other skill you will want are Alien Species, Cultures, Langwages and such, you will want to focus more on Knowledge & Perception Stats and their associated skills. it will be an hill battle to reach a level of Force powers to be able to use them effectively in combat but once you do you will be death on legs, but will have many more useful skills that will keep you from having to fire up your Laser Sword.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a cinematic game, WEG's Star Wars game lends itself to "style over substance". Luckily, any "near human" alien doesn't need to be specifically statted out - if one wants, say, frills around the character's head, unusual coloring, Andorian-style antennae, or other non-game cosmetic effects, one can call it a "near human", and go with that.

Wroonians, for instance, are blue. Humans don't come in that color (unless they have Argyria, or there's something very wrong with them) - but for Wroonians, that's normal. Zeltrons are red. Zabrak have both potentially an unusual coloring and a crown of spike-like protrusions.

So, the question ends up being - do you want to look like Yoda's species, or do you want to be a member of Yoda's species. One is probably easier to do than the other, depending on how purist your GM is when it comes to Star Wars.

The easier option: The Look-Alike

This near-human alien race are remarkably alike the race of Grandmaster Yoda or Master Yaddle, yet distinct. They tend to be Force Sensitive, and though they have a diminuitive stature, they're sentients to be reckoned with.

All stats are between 2D - 4D (same as Human), their move is 8 / 10 (less than a human, to reflect their shorter stature), and they have the following Story Factors:

Like Yoda I look: Down to the color (green), hands and feet (three digits on each with one large, claw-like nail), size (small), and appearance, a member of this race looks remarkably like the same race as Master Yaddle or Grandmaster Yoda.

Races or individuals that give a preferential treatment to Jedi will tend to give the same treatment to an individual of this race (such as Barabel). However, the opposite is true too - races or individuals hostile to Jedi will tend to assume that an individual of this race is a Jedi too, true or not.

Long-lived: Individuals of this race will tend to be very mature, reflected in archaic speech patterns and possibly archaic attitudes. They have a maximum life span measured in centuries, exceptional individuals living perhaps into their second millennium.

Optional: You might argue that they should have a maximum of 5D in Perception and Knowledge, and might perhaps get 2 bonus dice to use in Knowledge skills (not to exceed the normal maximum of starting dice allocated to one single skill) to reflect their greater experience, and I wouldn't think such a change would be unbalancing to the game.

Your GM should specifically allow this, as always.

The harder option: The same

Sometimes, you don't want Pepsi instead of Coca-Cola (or the other way around). Sometimes, it's the Real McCoy or no McCoy. However, there's a problem with this.

There's very little information on the species of both Master Yaddle and Grandmaster Yoda - intentionally so, from Lucas' side. He wanted to preserve the mystique about Yoda through keeping that part unknown.

The description on Wookieepedia reads (in part):

Quote:

"The species to which the legendary Jedi Master Yoda belonged was ancient and shrouded in mystery. The species had two sexes: male and female. Members of that species were small in size, with green skin and long pointed ears. Their three-fingered hands ended in claws. Their ears were expressive, curling and unfurling in accordance with their emotions."

So. You'll need to have express permission from your GM to choose "the same race" as Yoda, and you need to extrapolate something reasonable about Yoda's (and Yaddle's) stats block.

I'd say something like this might be reasonable:

Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 2D/4D
KNOWLEDGE 3D/5D
MECHANICAL 1D/3D
PERCEPTION 3D/5D
STRENGTH 1D/3D
TECHNICAL 1D/3D
Move: 7/9

Story Factors:
Extreme Longevity: Members of this race can live for centuries, and exceptional individuals have been known to almost reach a millennium of age.

Unknown to the Galaxy: Members of this race are extremely few and far between. The only two publically known members of this race are Grandmaster Yoda and Master Yaddle. Members of this race may be conflated with or easily mistaken for these exceptional individuals.

Strong with the Force: As both known members of this race are strong with the Force, it seems fitting to give them a bonus to Force use. If the character is Force sensitive, they get a +1D bonus to any roll using Sense (this is not the same as one free die in Sense).

---

That should give you a good starting point, without making the character overpowered in any way, shape, or form.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in agreement with DB 2.0 except that I would promote alter over control, since it provides non-violent ways to overcome opposition: affect mind, telekinesis (to disarm opponents, for example), lesser force shield, dim other's senses (to help you group sneak past an imperial road block), It also provides all the powers that allow you to heal others/ keep them alive... if that sort of thing matters to your character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: