The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Consumables
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Consumables
View previous topic :: View next topic  
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:26 pm    Post subject: Consumables Reply with quote

Hi, I haven't been to the site in quite awhile (been busy with life in general), so I don't know if this question has been brought up. Here goes. Is it possible to increase the consumables stat on a starship using the D6 system. Is there a written or online site or house rule that anyone can direct me to. Thanks a bunch MTFBWY.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Consumables Reply with quote

therritn wrote:
Hi, I haven't been to the site in quite awhile (been busy with life in general), so I don't know if this question has been brought up. Here goes. Is it possible to increase the consumables stat on a starship using the D6 system. Is there a written or online site or house rule that anyone can direct me to. Thanks a bunch MTFBWY.

Not really. It honestly not something that comes up a lot. Star Wars is not typically run like D&D where you have to have single thing written down. It runs scene to scene with however much in-between those scenes is cut out as not important or slow.

With that in mind, consumables is more of a "speed of plot" sort of thing. You as the GM can make up whatever explains having more rations on a ship: couple of crates of Clone War era MRE's, additional food stores, etc.

May I ask why you ask? It seems a strange thing to inquire about unless it directly relates to something in a game.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest i see is in various books listing how much it costs at various space ports in 'replacing' your consumables..

But for increasing them, you need (IMO)
A) bigger fuel cells
B) more air scrubbers
C) bigger water tank with purifiers
D) more food..
therritn
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right shootingwomprats. It's for a campaign I'm running which takes place during the SWTOR era. The characters bought a new ship which is basically a long range hyperdrive capable shuttle with a months worth of consumables. They were upgrading it to give it a longer range as well as other things.
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, fudging and WAGs (wild-@$$ guesses) as well as leaning on GG6: Tramp Freighters can get you an idea.

I'm basically suggesting trading cargo space for consumables. 1 Metric Ton = 1000 kg = 1000 liters of water. Each person needs 4 liters of water per day, as a rule of thumb. That's 250 man-days of water right there, and doesn't factor in anything when it comes to recycling and so on.

Oxygen is the most important component in air for humans and near-humans (and most aliens, apparently), and is best stored in high pressure. Storing 2000 liters of oxygen at 200 bar (3000 psi) would make the oxygen weigh about 3 kg.

A human needs about 550 liters of pure oxygen per day (breathing about 11 000 liters of air per day, using about 5% of that volume if one measures the percentage of oxygen inhaled vs the percentage exhaled). A steel tank capable of storing our oxygen might have a water volume of about 16 liters and weighs about 30 kg. So a metric ton would be about 60 man-days of air, as expressed in oxygen.

Food? A standard dehydrated food pack is mentioned in Gundark's, but I can't seem to find a weight measurement. An MRE weighs in at about half to three-quarters of a kilo - but isn't dehydrated. A dehydrated meal weighs in at about 150 g - but when rehydrated to an edible form, ends up being around the weight of an MRE. Funny that. So let's for simplicity's sake say that the water ration is included in the liquids, and the pure "food" part is about 150 g, and four meals per day - which means that a metric ton would have about 1600 man-days worth of food.

So food's clearly not a limiting factor per se, water isn't necessarily either, but oxygen seems to be a "hard cap" on this of sorts. Let's fudge the numbers a little bit, and say that each metric ton of converted cargo space gives you 45 man-days extra of consumables.

And you probably want to have a fuel scoop or something fitted to your ship so that you can refuel as well. Unless you accept that Star Wars includes ZPE (zero point energy) units, as is suggested by the regenerative power cells of certain speeder bikes.

Cost? I have no idea. I don't have my GG6 handy, so I can't reference it. Let's say about 1000 credits per ton converted? Does that seem fair?
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1e core rule book, an autochef will increase food consumables by one week.
Mojomoe
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GG6 also refers (in one quick paragraph) to increasing the total passenger capacity by (illegally) adding life support generators instead of passenger conversion, at a cost of 30 credits per person (people are expected to sleep on the floor).

Given this, I would guess there is a "quick and dirty" as well as "legit" way to add consumables to a ship. Given that the life support generator likely provides the O2 scrubber (a filtration system, I'd wager?), we're really just talking raw proteins for food synthesis, water, and O2 storage space.

For the nearest logical reference, I'd look at the Refrigeration Unit you can have installed, which converts cargo to cooled cargo, effectively a "special cargo unit," and ballpark it from there. From that, yeah, you'd need to do some quick math to determine what a "consumable unt" for one person for one day looks like, and find out how much space/mass you'd need to expand a single person.

I mentioned this in another thread, but at some point WEG did away with cargo capacity mass AND volume, and just stuck with mass, which is too bad. There were conversions early on that said the mass/volume ratio of many commodities, including gold, spice, and silver. It feels like if this could be found it would be a good rubric for calculation, as water and air will take up very different amounts of space per kilo.
vanir
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacecraqft fitted with atmospheric scoops can restock power and fuel consumables by dipping into planetary atmospheres (with molecular converters you basically get water, air, power and fuel from basic elements like hydrogen, oxygen and nitrogen, water ice can be found embedded with most asteroid rock, etc., fuel, power and air isn't a problem, it's just food you need). You can use cargo space to stock extra food consumables.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: