The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Control Force Powers applied to another person
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Control Force Powers applied to another person
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject: Control Force Powers applied to another person Reply with quote

There's a number of Force powers that (as a control powers) Jedi may apply to himself and (as control-alter) can be applied to someone else. Descriptions of "alter" versions of some of them are somehow unclear to me.

Control Another's Pain, here's description:
This power allows a Jedi to help another character control pain, under the same rules and conditions outlined in the control pain power. The Jedi must be touching the character to use this power.

This power isn't noted as one that can be kept "up", but control pain is. I assumed that this power can be kept "up" (because it's used "under the same rules and conditions"). But if so, then what about requirement of touching target? Does the power work only as long as Jedi is touching the target or maybe touching is only required to activate this power?

Remove Another's Fatigue, description:
This power allows the Jedi to remove the effects of effects of fatigue in another. The affected character must be in physical contact with the power’s user. Unlike the basic power, the Jedi must wait until the target is actually fatigued, before offering assistance. Hence the penalties for failing a stamina check can be counteracted, but must be addressed as they occur.

Does it mean that this power has instantaneous effect and doesn't need to be kept "up"? If so, then it's far better than remove fatigue and two Jedi knowing this power could stay awake forever by using it on each other.

Return Another to Consciousness, description:
The target returns to consciousness. The target has the same restrictions as imposed by the remain conscious power, and must be touching the Jedi.

Remain conscious allows Jedi to stay conscious only for one round (description suggests that it's usually used to try control pain). Does it mean that return another to consciousness does the same (only for one round)? And then, to keep the target conscious control another's pain has to be used? Shouldn't control another's pain alone be enough (it removes all wound penalties)?
Or maybe return to consciousness is permanent? But if so it's better than the base control pain (which looks somehow counterintuitive to me).
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like WEG inconsistency. Or perhaps one of the "complications" that arises when the simplicity of the system conflicts with things like a desire for balance or specifics.

Our solution?

The control version (used on self) are instantaneous. Our group doesn't like all the round by round book keeping.

If that seems too powerful, consider upping the difficulty, or providing an option that allows for the easier roll to be "kept up," while the harder roll is instantaneous.
Jedi Skyler
Moff
Moff

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think that these powers that allow a Jedi to augment pain, fatigue, etc. in another person ought to be Control+Sense+Alter. The reason I feel this way is because the Jedi needs to be able to actually sense what's going on in the target's body, in order to properly direct the flow of the Force to the correct areas of the body in order to achieve the desired effect.

That said, WEG didn't set these powers up that way. Since they did not, one can either change the powers via house rules, or they can run with them the way they're written. If you're running with them as-is, and are looking for a reason to allow, say, Control Another's Pain to be 'kept up,' since the description specifically says that it operates the same way it would were the Jedi using it on themselves, then think of it this way:

The Jedi MUST touch the target of the power to account for the need to sense the actual areas where the Force is needed to make a change. The Jedi can then direct the Force to those areas. I personally would require the Jedi to maintain contact while getting the Force to start working toward the desired effect.

Once the successful roll has been made, the Jedi has a good enough handle on where the Force needs to be directed, and can from that point continue to direct the Force in that manner without maintaining physical contact.

If, however, a change occurs in the target, and a different area has been affected, the Jedi will have to touch the individual again in order to reestablish that contact, reevaluate, and redirect the Force.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the past when i have DMed, that is how i handle those 3 powers. Contact needed to 'bring it up', but once done, contact is no longer needed.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
In the past when i have DMed, that is how i handle those 3 powers. Contact needed to 'bring it up', but once done, contact is no longer needed.

Yeh, I thought similar in case of control another's pain and remove another's fatigue. But how about return another to consciousness? Base power can't be kept "up" and description clearly says that power returns target to consciousness. I think in this case effect is instantaneous and even mortally wounded character will stay conscious (although with no chance to use any skills).
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For return another to consciousness, since remain conscious requires an immediate use of control pain there after, the force user doing the return someone to consciousness would then need to immediately apply the control another's pain.
Tupteq
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For return another to consciousness, since remain conscious requires an immediate use of control pain there after, the force user doing the return someone to consciousness would then need to immediately apply the control another's pain.

But wouldn't control another's pain return target to consciousness as a side effect of removing all effects of wounds (and stuns: "This power can also be used to shrug off any stun results")? Remain conscious works differently, it allows a Jedi to do something that otherwise wouldn't be possible (because of unconsciousness), but if the power is applied to someone else it's not a problem anymore ("caster" and target aren't the same person and only "caster" has to be conscious).

So, IMO if return another to consciousness worked as you described, then it would be almost useless. The only effect you could achieve would be reviving target for one round and control another's pain could do the same (if not kept "up") and more (if kept "up").
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the operative point here is going to be causal. Control pain does just that... it controls pain. If the loss of consciousness is not caused BY the pain, then controlling the pain will not restore consciousness. And simply easing the pain of a head injury won't necessarily bring someone awake immediately.

By the same token, restoring someone to consciousness is assumed to need a control pain roll since (in theory) there are injuries.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. Control pain is being used to remove the wound penalties associated with being wounded, incapacitated and such, while return to consciousness is needed to actually get back to BEING conscious after being knocked out..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: