The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tales of the Jedi Companion
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Tales of the Jedi Companion Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me what you think of these notes I have put together see if anything needs to be added, tweeked, or deleted please. I would welcome constructive
input from you all. Smile
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sort of. One source (as an example gives the SunGem a hyperdrive multiplier a x7 (TotJ Companion) another source gives the same ship a hyperdrive multiplier a x2 (d20) Power of the Jedi Sourcebook even the http://verminary.com/rebellion/powerjedi.html gives the d20 to d6 conversion of this ship a x2 hyperdrive.. So are the fastest couriers during the Great Sith War have a x2 or x 7 hyperdrive multiplier?

I think the Hyperdrive multiplier problems comes from the original set up WEG went with, if standard ships in the Rebellion Era have x2 speed and military ships have x1, then older ships must be slower. I guess they were sort of looking at Hyperdrives in a similar way to the combustion engine, older cars generally had less horse power, speed, range and fuel efficiency compared to modern cars.

On actual stats, I think it's probably better to ignore stat comparison from a different system as the base thought processes by the developers are different. Conversions are quite often way off too because game systems rarely make these things compatible in any meaningful way. I think someone on the Pit said coversions are an art rather than a science.

Quote:
Tell me what you think of these notes I have put together see if anything needs to be added, tweeked, or deleted please. I would welcome constructive input from you all.

I think your actual Era names are a little off. The Great Sith War is definitely TOTJ era based on the comics themselves and the TOTJ D6 companion (which is set just before), not KOTOR (despite the comic title being confusingly TOTJ Knights of the Old Republic)

I understand why you have done it this way, but I think the KOTOR computer game setting creates some diffuculty for you on this. The look and feel of the TOTJ and KOTOR settings are so widely different that I think them having more distinct Era titles (not just dates) would be better. If you want to distinguish the TOTJ eras, perhaps call them the TOTJ Hyperspace War Era and TOTJ Sith War Era or something similar for clarity purposes.

Quote:
The time it takes a message to travel to it's destination is sifnificantly increased if the communiqué must travel through multiple regions of space. Ships transmit up to three regions of the Galaxy away. The time delay with in the same region is six seconds, two regions the delay is twelve seconds, three regions the delay is eighteen seconds, etc.

I'm not sure about these communication times - but I don't know why. Seems too static a rule maybe? I might have gone with 1D seconds delay for each region to make it a bit more random and unreliable, but that's just me I guess Smile

Quote:
Convocations were quite rare, as they were often tempting—if somewhat suicidal—targets for enemies of the Jedi.

I'm doubtful over Jedi convocations being rare due to potential attack, the existing events in the TOTJ comics don't support this (the attack on Deneba was so devastating because they weren't expecting an attack on the Jedi at such an event). The Convocations they depict are called to debate major galactic events usually involving the Jedi/Force (The Krath threat and The fall out from the Great Sith War/Ulic's fall) that's why they are rare.

These things are just minor niggles though. I think generally you have a decent compromise for the ancient eras here, despite the best efforts of the source material to hamper you at every turn Smile

Xain
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xain Arke wrote:

On actual stats, I think it's probably better to ignore stat comparison from a different system as the base thought processes by the developers are different. Conversions are quite often way off too because game systems rarely make these things compatible in any meaningful way. I think someone on the Pit said coversions are an art rather than a science.

(Emphasis added)

Hmmm... I think someone is talking about me. Smile

In terms of SAGA to D6 there are elements that are simple math equations, some that are "creative representations" and a variety of things in between.

There is pretty much no conversion necessary with hyperdrive multipliers. The multiplier in SAGA is the same value as in D6. That being said, when doing the conversions, I've always put mine out there with the understanding that if you thought that it didn't look right for your game... change it. You're the GM, and you have every right to say that you don't think that WotC's concept is right for your game. Likewise, if you thought our conversions were off base compared to your evaluation... do what you feel is right, of course. Smile

Now, I'll be the first one to say that I was surprised when I opened up the KOTOR Campaign Guide and saw hyperdrive multipliers that were as low as they were. There was some flavor text in there that said that the great hyperspace war caused a Copernican Revolution in hyperdrive technology. So... they had some in-universe hand-wavium to get around that jump.

So, the stats were what they were. But again, if you don't like it (and I fully support you if you don't), then by all means, recommend that they be changed. Smile
Xain Arke
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hmmm... I think someone is talking about me Smile

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was you or Gry Sarth, thanks for the
clarification. Smile

Quote:
There is pretty much no conversion necessary with hyperdrive multipliers. The multiplier in SAGA is the same value as in D6.

This is what I mean by different system developers having different
design outlooks, although the multiplier is able to be ported right across,
WOTC base design element seems to be that Hyperdrives don't develop
in speed or efficiency for thousands of years, whereas in WEG they did.

I'm with WEG on this one.

Cya

Xain
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There was some flavor text in there that said that the great hyperspace war caused a Copernican Revolution in hyperdrive technology. So... they had some in-universe hand-wavium to get around that jump.

Where is this located in the KOTOR campaign guide?
cheshire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I remember right off hand. If I get some time today I can try to search for it.
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find the referrence?
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, sorry, that has totally fallen off my radar since July. I will do my best to remember to find that. Ping me Friday if you don't see a response.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, here it is. It's on page 110 of the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign guide.

Do you need the text, or have you got it handy?
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: An Update on Era notes Reply with quote

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1A1f0WVVwkgNkp4bXJyOUpKUDA

Last edited by skree99 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, where did you find the update TotJ material? Is there errata for the books floating around out there somewhere?
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came up with them Very Happy
skree99
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am kind of suprised that nobody has updated (revised) the TotJ companion.
Also, that nobody has written anything about the Great Hyperspace War.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: