The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Random vs picked targets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Random vs picked targets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Random vs picked targets Reply with quote

When playing baddies in combat, do you prefer Randomizing who they shoot, or selecting who they shoot? Have you seen preferences from the PLAYERS?
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basic thugs: random.

Trained gunfighters/tacticians: strategic selection.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Random vs picked targets Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
When playing baddies in combat, do you prefer Randomizing who they shoot, or selecting who they shoot? Have you seen preferences from the PLAYERS?

Yeah if there wouldn't be an obvious person to gang up on then yeah I've done random for which PCs the bad guys shoot.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a random table for my party. If they are particularly large or aggressive looking they are worth and extra point.

For example:

Jawa: 1
Humanoid in armor + Rifle: 2+3
Human: 4
Gamorrean with heavy weapons: 5+6

A larger party could expand the table with two dice keeping proportions similar.

If another GM described the players party to you, who would you be likely to target first?

This is just for random ranged selection, some npc's would definitely be played strategically.

-General Veers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bringing this back up for when its Other than character vs character scale..

Say the party is in space combat. 5 of the 7 person group is in the party freighter, the other 2 are in their personal fighters (one say a Y-wing, the other a Z-95 equipped with a hyperdrive)..
Facing off against say 6 tie fighters and 3 tie-bombers.

Would you have the fighters concentrate on the 2 pc fighters leaving the bombers to hit the freighter?
Would it make a difference if the freighter had 2 or more guns??

What about for when the imps have vehicles (say a pair of chicken walkers)?

Do you also randomize which gun get's fired if there are more than one?
Say they are facing off against an AT-AT..
JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Say the party is in space combat. 5 of the 7 person group is in the party freighter, the other 2 are in their personal fighters (one say a Y-wing, the other a Z-95 equipped with a hyperdrive)..
Facing off against say 6 tie fighters and 3 tie-bombers.

Would you have the fighters concentrate on the 2 pc fighters leaving the bombers to hit the freighter?
Would it make a difference if the freighter had 2 or more guns??

Necrosis (perhaps), but I had a perspective on this. When planning a strategy above character level, you need to examine the uses of a given piece of hardware: Tie/ln (line fighter model) vs Tie/B (bomber).

The core Tie model fighter (Tie/ln) is a general purpose (both offensive and defensive) space superiority star fighter. This makes it generally best suited toward attacking other Starfighters.

The bomber model is both slower and equipped with longer range weaponry making it designed to hit larger and better defended targets such as capital class starships or in your example, the freighter.

The bombers would definitely focus on the freighter first and the fighters would largely ignore it (unless it's a head to head engagement and the freighter is actively targeting a fighter pair).

Because of the relative fragility of Tie fighters, their pilots are trained to work in pairs with one drawing the fire and the other dropping in behind to kill. Not sure how intelligently you play them, but at 3 to 1 odds, most PCs I've seen would be pretty well toast.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally i play storm troopers and tie pilots more tactically than some give them credit for..
dph
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always strategic, but from the character's point of view not my own... If I can't see any reason why they would pick one PC over another, then I roll randomly.

I think it actually helps set the scene, having NPCs decide for them selves, it also makes player actions more meaningful. If someone's keeping their head down, they attract less attention than the that other guy standing in the middle of the corridor blaster blazing.

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/roguetraders
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: