The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Dredwulf60's wounding system
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Dredwulf60's wounding system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Dredwulf60's wounding system Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Talking of the wounding system;

This is the way I do it. I believe I borrowed fairlyheavily from FASA's Shadowrun 2nd edition. But it's been a long time, so i can't remember specifics.

---------------

Character Damage Track

Physical [L] [2] [M] [4] [5][S] [7][8][9] [Inc] [11] [Mort]

Stun [L] [2] [M] [4] [5][S] [7][8][9] [Con] [11] [KO]

L: Light damage: -1 to all rolls.
M: Moderate damage: -1D6 to all rolls.
S: Serious damage: -2D6 to all rolls
Con: Concussed: -3D6 to all rolls
Inc: Incapacitated: roll extreme injury chart.(see below) An incapacitated character can be revived, but cannot use any skills and can only move at half his cautious rate.
KO: Unconscious. Further stun damage goes to physical track.
Mort: Mortal wound. Imminent death; Can make an unmodified STR roll to hang on to life each round. Difficulty is 1 per box of damage past Mort. Difficulty increases by 2 every round.

Resisting the hit
Roll to resist damage rolls from attacks, this is often called ‘soak’ damage.

Vs Brawl:
When taking damage from brawl attacks, roll toughness to resist, (or default to Strength.)
Physical armor dice will assist.

Vs Blunt:
When taking damage from blunt melee weapons, roll toughness to resist (or default to Strength.)

Vs Edged:

When taking damage from edged melee weapons, or firearms or explosives
you must default to Strength to resist, (Half result of roll)

Vs Blasters and Energy:

When taking damage from blasters or other energy weapons, the die code rolled is based on species size:
Small: 1D (Jawa, Ewok, Dug, Ugnaut)
Med: 2D (Human, Rodian, Twi’lek, Duros)
Large: 3D (Wookiee, Gamorrean, Whiphid)
Huge: 4D (Herglic, Hutt)

Energy armor dice will assist.

A character can never roll less than 1D to soak damage.

Damage TO Armor: whenever a character rolls a 1 on the wild die when soaking damage, and the character also fails to soak all of the damage, the armor itself has been downgraded. All armor values are downgraded by 1 pip. (Unless the attack was a called shot to ignore armor). This reduction remains until it is repaired.

Rolling a 1 on the wild die but still soaking up all the damage does not downgrade the armor, but leaves a noticeable welt or other visible evidence of the trauma. Many Mandalorians leave this ‘weathering’ as proof of their working-man nature.

Applying damage:

If the total of the damage dice is greater than the total of the ‘soak’ dice, the character will be hurt.
Brawl damage or blunt melee is applied to Stun track.
Firearms or Blaster damage is applied to physical track
Explosives damage is applied to Both tracks.

Damage greater by:
1-5 = 1 box or Directly to L.
6-10= 3 boxes or directly to M. Character knocked prone.
11-15= 6 boxes or directly to S. Character knocked prone.
16-20= 10 boxes or directly to Inc* or Con. Character knocked prone.
21+ = 12 boxes or directly to KO or Mort. Character knocked prone.

Dredwulf, you originally posted this in my damage/wound system thread and no one replied to this post, so I thought it should be it's own thread. Upon first review it seems way too crunchy for my tastes, but other people may like it and I am sometimes inspired by the discussion of such things.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Armor damage is something that the game probably needs... either by GM discresion, or with a hard/fast rule..

Witness: the existence of the armor repair skill.

I like the approach given here. It is not so intrusive that it happens with every hit, but, its enough to get you thinking about dodge vs. soak: at some point, the dodge penalty becomes more of a liability since the armor is not stopping as many hits.

I also appreciate a penalty that isn't a whole D just because the damagee was 1 point over the soak.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The core book already has damage rules for armor. If you are wounded, your armor is lightly damaged. If you are incapacitated, your armor is heavily damaged. Mortally wounded, your armor is severely damaged.
If you are killed, your armor is destroyed.

It's all on page 94-95.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The core book already has damage rules for armor. If you are wounded, your armor is lightly damaged. If you are incapacitated, your armor is heavily damaged. Mortally wounded, your armor is severely damaged.

It's all on page 94-95.

Yeah, but I like mine better. Wink

You could easily kill someone without doing much damage to the armor.

Having it destroyed when the character is dead doesn't allow someone to strip it from the dead and use it.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dredwulf60's wounding system Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

Dredwulf, you originally posted this in my damage/wound system thread and no one replied to this post, so I thought it should be it's own thread. Upon first review it seems way too crunchy for my tastes, but other people may like it and I am sometimes inspired by the discussion of such things.

Thanks Whill. I only just noticed this. Confused

The rationale behind the detail has been built up over time.

But it starts with Brawling. I have pit fighting and such in my games where sentients fight each other for prize money. RAW doesn't allow for much nuance in the fighters.

If you have a high STR you are pretty much going to pummel someone else with a low STR. It made sense that you could have slimmer guys with a higher ability to take a beating (thus I have a Toughness skill used to soak brawling damage.)
It also makes sense that you could have a slimmer guy deliver punches and kicks with way more force than his bulk would indicate. (thus I have the Hitting power skill.)

Since brawling damage is stun until the stun damage track is filled up, and any left-over damage goes to physical damage track, this allows for the action movie inspired brawling fights where the hero and villain can take loads of abuse without fear of dying too quickly.

Blunt weapons also benefit for the same reason. But a character will usually opt to pick up a metal pipe, club or the like if he's in a fight because the weapon stacks on to his STR. I also allow the Hitting Power skill to be used in place of STR for the blunt weapon's die code.

Since the blunt damage is physical however, it's much more serious and death can result at more than double the rate.

If I left it there however, no one would ever bother to pick up the lowly knife, even though a knife is a deadly weapon in skilled hands. Much deadlier than RAW would allow.

So the toughness skill is useless to resist edged weapons; it doesn't matter how much you've been desensitizing yourself to punches, a blade is going to cause you some blood loss or worse.
Ditto for bullets.
So in addition to no toughness, the basic STR you use is going to have half the results.

So I have found that having a blade in a fight is a big, big advantage. If your character is rolling around with an opponent and there is a shard of glass laying nearby, chances are the fight will be about who can get ahold of that piece of glass, or get their hands on a sharp piece of anything.

And energy weapons are the most efficient killer. Anyone who has a blaster in my game needs to know that they have a really good chance of killing what they hit, even if it's just a hold-out blaster...or really, what's the point of having it?

Back when I played RAW, it felt a lot of the time like blaster fights were like snowball fights. Sure you could get hurt doing it, but there wasn't a feeling of imminent danger. My players rarely sought cover...it was much better to stand and deliver.

They always seek cover now when the blasters come out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
garhkal wrote:

It's all on page 94-95.

Yeah, but I like mine better. Wink

You could easily kill someone without doing much damage to the armor.

Having it destroyed when the character is dead doesn't allow someone to strip it from the dead and use it.

Or you could have the armor totally fuggered up but the guy wearing it is ok!
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Or you could have the armor totally fuggered up but the guy wearing it is ok!

That is certainly a possibility IRL as well as my version, though quite unlikely.

My philosophy is that most of the time a character gets injured because he's hit in a spot that is not well protected by the armor.

Sometimes it punches through however. The chance of it punching through a plate is...1 in 6, as dictated by the wild die on the soak roll.

But even then, if its a weak damage roll and a great soak roll, despite the wild '1', (the character takes no damage) the armor is still not downgraded. It just suffers a welt.

And if it is downgraded, it means the wearer has taken AT LEAST a light wound and the armor loses 1 single pip of protection.

So it certainly depends on how resilient the armor is, but after a period of getting into fights without any repairs, its certainly possible to have a character who is alive wearing an outfit that is so riddled with holes that it provides no practical protection whatsoever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: