The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

battle droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> battle droids Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savar
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:

On that note, something else to consider is that the encryption on those particular devices tends to be very crucial, and as such tends to be very difficult to break. While I won't say that I think Star Wars wireless networking is just like our modern tech; a simple MAC (hardware address) filter will lock out a wireless network for any unknown device. Assuming that the Verpine in the original post didn't already own the droids he wanted to control, he would likely need to capture the interface intact in order to use it as a physical bridge in order to gain access to the rest of the droids on the net.

the idea for a verpine or a shard was to have physical access to the droid for modifications.

garhkal wrote:
Plus how much of his concentration would be taken up Controlling those droids..

yup, using the command skill as a limiter was the idea.
Matthias777
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JironGhrad wrote:
Matthias777 wrote:
What you describe is true of the original droids, but after the Battle of Naboo, the Separatists had their battle droids retrofitted with cognitive modules, allowing them to function completely independently of a Central Command Computer. This is why all of the battle droids seen in The Clone Wars show and in other media work and speak the way that they do.

I haven't watched the cartoons. While I'm not saying that you're mistaken, the movies didn't address it in any other fashion; since we don't ever see battle droids in an environment where it's reasonable to conclude there isn't some kind of battle controller nearby. Did they say specifically someplace in the cartoons that those changes occurred, or was it merely inferred from changes in behavior?

I've worked for a number of years dealing with all sorts of dumb terminals, and improved function (etc.) could be a simple change (that is, reduction) in the quantity that a given controller manages.

On that note, something else to consider is that the encryption on those particular devices tends to be very crucial, and as such tends to be very difficult to break. While I won't say that I think Star Wars wireless networking is just like our modern tech; a simple MAC (hardware address) filter will lock out a wireless network for any unknown device. Assuming that the Verpine in the original post didn't already own the droids he wanted to control, he would likely need to capture the interface intact in order to use it as a physical bridge in order to gain access to the rest of the droids on the net.

I haven't really watched the cartoons (except to check facts referenced therein by Wookieepedia editors) so I don't know if they explain it in the show(s) or not. I'm going off of several book sources. I had to research battle droids quite a bit to fully understand them and sort out the mishmash of canon information, because one of my players is playing a battle droid with an R4 agromech brain welded to its chest and hardwired to control it. I don't believe that all of these books refer to the cognitive modules, but I remember that The Essential Guide to Warfare covered it very well. Here are most of the book references I used when researching battle droids, in case you want to do some independent research:

Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Secrets of Naboo (2001), pp. 10-12
Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Arms and Equipment Guide (2002), pp. 56-57
Star Wars: The New Essential Guide to Droids (2006), pp. 76-79
Star Wars Roleplaying Game - Saga Edition Core Rulebook (2007), p. 199
Star Wars Roleplaying Game - The Clone Wars Campaign Guide (2008), p.196
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace - The Expanded Visual Dictionary (2012), pp. 32-33
Star Wars: The Essential Guide to Warfare (2012), pp. 70, 86, 93
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: