The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Droids - Power and Recharging
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Droids - Power and Recharging
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merrick
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Droids - Power and Recharging Reply with quote

How long do the batteries last on a droid before it needs a recharge for full functionality?

I would imagine it probably depends on the design of the droid, Utility vs Exploration or Military. Not that it comes up in game terms very often, but I have a party that relies pretty heavily on droids. If they got into a stranded scenario with a droid (Second degree interpreter droid) how long would you suppose it could continue to function?

I was thinking a week with while walking around maybe?

-General Veers
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me a lot boils down to the type as well as use..
Say a binary load lifter, who is only occasionally called to fully work, could go months between charges, while he sits idly by on the ship as it spends a lot of time in hyperspace, vs a combat droid doin a lot of fighting, might need a recharge every other day.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be easiest to treat it like a human/human-like creature:

Require a recharge once every 24 hours, with the droid needing 8 hours to fully recharge. Each hour of charge allows for 2 hours of operation.

Not convenient, but could make reliance on droids a little less appealing.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Might be easiest to treat it like a human/human-like creature:

Require a recharge once every 24 hours, with the droid needing 8 hours to fully recharge. Each hour of charge allows for 2 hours of operation.

Not convenient, but could make reliance on droids a little less appealing.

Or consider the recharge like food rather than sleep; a droid could function without a recharge (with increasing penalties as it automatically shuts down non-essential functions) for weeks. When Luke plugs in R2 on Dagobah it's made to seem like a 'meal'.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure CRM will soon be in to provide us with detailed rules on Battery Life for droids. Wink

However, I'd be inclined to say that droids can function a standard week without charging, but that many like to keep as close to peak charge as possible... closing down when unneeded, charging when available, etc.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I'm sure CRM will soon be in to provide us with detailed rules on Battery Life for droids. Wink

Or shootingwamprats... They both seem to love making more crunch!
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the fluff of the 74-Z speeder bikes, there's apparently ZPE (zero-point energy, or "vacuum energy") cells in the Star Wars universe. I see no reason to why a droid equipped with two of those could completely forgo recharging.

... Except, what if the recharging is just part of it? Humans - and, it seems, most sophonts - need to sleep every now and then in order to parse new experiences, to rest their head, and to facilitate learning. Similarly, a computer database with lots of additions will occasionally have to regenerate indices, perhaps normalize their tables, and so on and so forth. "Defragmenting" the database, so to speak.

Droids, seemingly occupying some middle ground between sophonts and computers, might need some occasional downtime in order to defrag, basically - in addition to recharging their batteries.

It also fits with the occasional malfunctioning droid being unable to cope with rapid changes in their surroundings - ZZ-4Z may have this to some degree, for instance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: