The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Comlink usage... cell phone or hand held radio?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Comlink usage... cell phone or hand held radio?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Comlink usage... cell phone or hand held radio? Reply with quote

During the course of the adventure, the players asked a valid question...

Can a simple comlink leave and store messages if the intended recipient cannot answer the comlink?

The concept of a comlink came about before cell phones and seems to have been more similar to a hand held radio (walkie talkie). At no time in any of the movies do we see a comlink store any messages (like voice mail on a cell phone). There are numerous times in the movies when such a feature would have been helpful if it existed. In episode II, we see Obi Wan use his ship's subspace radio to record a message and has it relayed. I've read where starship subspace radios are often referred to as "vehicle comlinks"... essentially high powered comlinks with some additional features.

I ruled that comlinks do have the ability to leave/store messages but I'm wondering if that may have been a mistake.

Secondly, one of the players wants to frequently use his comlink and his communications skill to "scan for any transmissions" that he can pick up. I told him that the simple comlink does not have enough advanced features to efficiently scan the millions of channels in order to pick up anything useful. I told him that he would need to purchase, at least, a military comlink.

Anyone have any thoughts on the two issues above... particularly the first one?

Thanks
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Zarn on Fri May 03, 2019 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of a local "com-net" or "com-grid" in places where the technology level would be appropriate. Players would have to be within the operating range of the network... 50 kilometers for standard comlinks. But I like that they are running the risk that their recorded message could be recovered from the grid's storage/data bank.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Comlink usage... cell phone or hand held radio? Reply with quote

Vanion wrote:
During the course of the adventure, the players asked a valid question...

Can a simple comlink leave and store messages if the intended recipient cannot answer the comlink?

The concept of a comlink came about before cell phones and seems to have been more similar to a hand held radio (walkie talkie). At no time in any of the movies do we see a comlink store any messages (like voice mail on a cell phone). There are numerous times in the movies when such a feature would have been helpful if it existed. In episode II, we see Obi Wan use his ship's subspace radio to record a message and has it relayed. I've read where starship subspace radios are often referred to as "vehicle comlinks"... essentially high powered comlinks with some additional features.

I see handheld (character) scale comlinks like you initially did, being too small to really have much storage capacity if anything. Now whether they store anything or nto, imo would depend (much like Zarn sees it) as whether they are being used in a city which would have cell phone like storage offsite, or whether in the field and are walkie talkie use... Former version, yes i could see some messages being left for later retrieval, latter version no..

Vanion wrote:
Secondly, one of the players wants to frequently use his comlink and his communications skill to "scan for any transmissions" that he can pick up. I told him that the simple comlink does not have enough advanced features to efficiently scan the millions of channels in order to pick up anything useful. I told him that he would need to purchase, at least, a military comlink.

Anyone have any thoughts on the two issues above... particularly the first one?

Thanks

IMO (again), the small 3PO style ones don't have the functionality to do scanning for frequencies like that. You would need a Communication backpack, much like the Rebel special forces Scanner/comm operator template has in Rules of Engagement.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the settingalso bears more consideration:

I would asy that a star system is analogous to a real life city or county, while a sector might be like a country or continent and of course, the galaxy is analogous to the whole world.

So I would say that a personal comm device should factor in those comparisons when determining the capabilities and the range of those capabilities.

So jamming a whole planet might be possible in SW with the same logistical "ease" asjamming a city in real life (for example, positioning 10 or so ships around the planet that crate a blanket/umbrella between them that envelops the planet... or whatever).
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my players last game had an interesting comment for another player who was trying to search out information on local corporations. He was under the impression that he'd just use the commlink to do a cursory search...aka 'Space Google'.

The other player admonished him.. "Hey..don't you know? Star Wars is the Space 1970's. There IS no space-google."

Which is of course the way I normally run things. Smile
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is similar to the discussion about how much datapads and pocket computers are like our modern technologies. One thing that occurred to me in reading the OP - I have a smart phone but it doesn't store voicemails. They are stored on the local network, and I have to connect with the network to retrieve them. If I am outside of the network, I do not have access to the voicemails.

I think things like local 4G and wireless internet networks could exist in cities, planets, and even whole systems using normal radiation transmissions like on Earth. So there could be many individual space googles all over the galaxy. Of course whether these networks are free to the public, pay per use, or only available to subscribers would be up to each location.

I agree with what's been said about regular comlinks not being able to scan channels, and I don't feel they should have access to internets. I've always thought of regular comlinks to be like walkie talkies. However a "pocket computer" could be not unlike my smart phone with the ability to access local internets and possibly also comlink capability.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Vanion
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very good input. Thanks.
atgxtg
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
One of my players last game had an interesting comment for another player who was trying to search out information on local corporations. He was under the impression that he'd just use the commlink to do a cursory search...aka 'Space Google'.

The other player admonished him.. "Hey..don't you know? Star Wars is the Space 1970's. There IS no space-google."

Which is of course the way I normally run things. Smile

Probably more like Space 1940s. Lucas was influence by the old movie serials-so it's view of futuristic is often rather low techish.

Most of the neat function devices have today (and probably will have in the future) are based on computers-especially microprocessors, technology that wasn't considered to apply on a personal level back in the 40s.

Lucas did update thing somewhat, but for the most part you don't see portable computer stuff.
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Star Wars universe the standard comlink itself can't store any data. If you have a home in a large city you can pay for a data package so that anyone trying to call you can leave a voice mail or data file at your home that you can access with a data pad or in the case of a com link your voice mails. If you have a ship, when you dock at star ports of class III or higher you're automatically plugged into the local Data Pool unless you state otherwise and messages can be left at your start ship and if you have someone managing the communication station they can forward messages to you.

All city data nets and data pools have a 'Yellow Pages' like function but it is only good for the local star port or city, or if the planet is developed enough for the planet. To get a more 'google' style search option you need to go to the local archive building or library where you can pay to use the Galactic Data Net. This is where more detailed research can take place, but locations like that are typically under governmental oversight whether that is Empire, Republic or Local Authorities.

If there is no local data pool or data net then standard comlinks work like CB radio transmitters, though my current group as a custom protocal droid the mans their communication station on their ship so even on the primitive worlds if the players can't get a hold of each other but can get a hold of the ship they leave messages with their droid.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it varies, but device-to-device communcations seems to be the norm, with no noted capacity for messages. Consider ANH, where they're using the commlinks inside the Death Star to communicate with each other... that might have been processing through something like a central server (like a Skype call for two devices on the same wifi network), but they didn't seem to have a fear of being randomly overheard by others "on the same channel".

Of course, you have devices that have 12 buttons to play 12 prerecorded messages, and that's it.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take a "best/worst of both worlds" approach.

There's always the Holonet, which functions as the internet and modern digital communications, all the way up to trunks that exist along hyperspace lanes and the like. But...in the Empire era, it's under Imperial control which means access is, at best, dodgy, and at worst giving away your location and most sensitive communiques to the Empire.

Now, I do home-brew in that darknets that, in part, piggy-back off the Holonet do exist, but those exist mainly in the Corporate Sector, Outer Rim, Tapani Sector, Hutt space and the like, where criminality and villainy breeds. Not to mention, for groups like the Bothan spynet to go forth and play. Though, due to the sheer cost of setting up the infrastructure, outside those particularly wealthy and infamous sectors you're not going to find a darknet independent of the galactic Holonet (especially given the Empire would crap live rancor babies if they found out, which brings a whole new host of problems). And, like the real world, there would likely also be a "deep" Holonet.

Which means, (assuming a Rebel, privateer, or other "outside the mainstream" game) unless someone in the party is a major techie and highly specialized in computers and communications, the "old fashioned" way it is.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say no messages may be left on comlinks. One, because I never saw it in the movies, and two, it gives the droids something useful to do.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

I would say not even military comlinks can scan channels. The players should need to buy a scanner. We have those today for about 100 bucks, though only someone with communications skill could operate it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theo.. For that 'darknet' being set up to pigy back on the holonet..

Do you have the empire periodically scan chatter, to see if someone IS piggy backing? If so, do they shut them down or just moniter it?

Is it a high end comm's repair/comp repair rolls to put those darknets up, or is that more (A) comms engineering level work??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: