The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rules for Environmental Conditions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Rules for Environmental Conditions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's sounds right; only the description of what is causing the damage would need to be changed. Bear in mind that every condition on that list (both temperature and atmosphere quality) have and are occurring right here on Earth as we speak; the only difference is in the details.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest adding something back that I had... the longer interval, representing climates that are short-term survivable without gear, but not long-term survivable... the day interval. It would, IMO, be most appropriate on the step 1... stuff like a Cool or Warm world where, carrying on like normal, you'll be ok but suffer degredation in the long-term.

I say this partially because I live in a city that's "Warm" for about a quarter of the year, and some parts arguably have a type II atmosphere ("Come to Pasadena where the air is greena" is a local saying.")
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I would suggest adding something back that I had... the longer interval, representing climates that are short-term survivable without gear, but not long-term survivable... the day interval. It would, IMO, be most appropriate on the step 1... stuff like a Cool or Warm world where, carrying on like normal, you'll be ok but suffer degredation in the long-term.

I say this partially because I live in a city that's "Warm" for about a quarter of the year, and some parts arguably have a type II atmosphere ("Come to Pasadena where the air is greena" is a local saying.")

LOL. I sympathize. I live in Redding, CA, which is consistently one of the hottest places in the country come summer time (our all time record temp is 118 F / 47.8 C). In 2008, we had one of our worst fire seasons ever; dozens of forest fires all around the city. Visibility was less than a mile, and the sun was a red disk in the sky even at noon, all from the concentrated smoke of these fires.

I mention it only because, even as bad as the air was, no one died from it.

My thinking at the moment is that a planet with conditions like that would be on an individual basis. Especially with temperatures, I'm shooting for a system where, for example!e, a sudden cold snap could kill someone overnight, not over the course of several days...

I'll keep it in mind, though...

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

LOL. I sympathize. I live in Redding, CA, which is consistently one of the hottest places in the country come summer time (our all time record temp is 118 F / 47.8 C). In 2008, we had one of our worst fire seasons ever; dozens of forest fires all around the city. Visibility was less than a mile, and the sun was a red disk in the sky even at noon, all from the concentrated smoke of these fires.

In Houston, trying to breathe in the summer is like wearing someone's freshly peed underwear as a facemask.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, when i was in Gulfport during may-october, there were days, you could step outside your front door, and by the time you walked across the road to your neighbor's house, it felt like you had just got done running a 5k!
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
In Houston, trying to breathe in the summer is like wearing someone's freshly peed underwear as a facemask.
garhkal wrote:
Heck, when i was in Gulfport during may-october, there were days, you could step outside your front door, and by the time you walked across the road to your neighbor's house, it felt like you had just got done running a 5k!

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/37762184.jpg

Wink

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes i thought i might be...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this topic, and moving over pertinent information from here.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Effects of High Altitude on Vehicles
An aircraft's altitude range is a baseline for the limits of normal operation. This altitude can be exceeded for short periods of time, but this takes its toll on the vehicle.

In game terms, an airspeeder can exceed its altitude range value by 50%, but must make a Body roll every hour, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per hour.

Likewise, an airspeeder can exceed its altitude range by 51-100%, but must make a Body roll every 10 minutes, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per 10 minutes.

An airspeeder that exceeds its altitude range by more than 100% must make a Body roll every Round, beginning at Very Easy Difficulty and increasing by one level per round.

If the vehicle fails the roll by 1-10 points, it is suffering strain, and must "rest" (landed and shut down) for twice as long as it exceeded its altitude range.

If the roll fails by 11 or more points, the vehicle has suffered a mechanical failure, which requires a Moderate Repair roll and one hour's work. This can be problematic when it happens several kilometers above ground.

Effects of High Altitude on Passengers & Crew:

The following conditions obtain at varying altitudes within the atmosphere of an Earth-type planet, mostly applicable to aircraft with unpressurized cockpits:
    <2 kilometers = Normal (Temperate Type I). No special equipment required.

2-3 kilometers = Strenuous (Cool Temperature)

3-4 kilometers = Hazardous (Cool Temperatures and Type II Atmosphere)

4-16 kilometers = Hostile (Cold Temperatures and Type III Atmosphere)

16-50 kilometers = Very Hostile* (Frigid Temperatures and Type IV Atmosphere)

50-250 kilometers = Lethal (Extreme Cold and Vacuum)

Some methods are available for vehicles to counter the Atmospheric conditions:
    Warm Clothing = Moves Temperature up by 1 Step
    Vehicle Heaters = Moves Temperature up by 1 Step
    Breath Mask = Negates II and III Atmospheres
    Pressure Suit = Negates Type IV Atmosphere

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you just had to slap on a face mask (no Oxy tank) to go out in space in the SW universe. Wink

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The in-universe explanation is that a ship's navigation shields can project a hemisphere of Type II-III atmosphere in the immediate vicinity, so long as it is landed (i.e. not having to project a full-sphere field).

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The in-universe explanation is that a ship's navigation shields can project a hemisphere of Type II-III atmosphere in the immediate vicinity, so long as it is landed (i.e. not having to project a full-sphere field).

Never saw that explanation. Interesting. Where'd you get that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget. But it's either that or believe that asteroids maintain a somewhat viable atmosphere.

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I forget. But it's either that or believe that asteroids maintain a somewhat viable atmosphere.

Not enough mass to hold an atmosphere, unless there's some handwave about the asteroids being super dense for some reason.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

Not enough mass to hold an atmosphere, unless there's some handwave about the asteroids being super dense for some reason.

Exactly. Far easier to just handwave a tech solution that simplifies external repairs and maintenance than try to push a natural science solution that far from the norm.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The atmosphere isn't from the asteroid. The atmosphere is a property of the gullet of the Space Slug.

Of course that just kicks the explanation can down the road since there isn't any particularly obvious reason why space slugs have internal, semi-breathable atmospheres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: