The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Odd question about Jedi students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Odd question about Jedi students.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
luna.wolves
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:54 am    Post subject: Odd question about Jedi students. Reply with quote

Do children who fail to become a padawan learner and are sent off to the Service Corps keep their lightsaber?

also what force powers would one such as these have?
Zarn
Force Spirit

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no.

Quoting from the Council of Reassignment text (Legends):

Quote:
"The Council would state that the work of the Corps aided galactic society just as a Knight would, however through use of other skills than wielding a lightsaber. The Council also looked after Padawans who failed the Jedi Trials or who were not selected for training by a Master. Membership was not restricted to those who failed out of the academy; the Council also assigned full-fledged Knights and Masters to serve a rotation with the Corps."

S, if you flunked out before becoming a Jedi, no lightbaton for you ("use of other skills than wielding a lightsaber"). If you're there to cool off, or to recover from some injury or traumatic experience ("also assigned full-fledged Knights"), you have a lightbaton.

Further quoting from the same text:

Quote:
"To assist in the operation of the Corps, the Reassignment Council organized four smaller satellite Councils to directly oversee each of the branches of the Corps. The Agricultural Corps was led by a Council generally made up of Ho'Din and Ithorians while the Medical Corps was led by the Circle of Healers. The Educational Corps was overseen by the Librarian's Assembly and the Chief Librarian; the Exploration Corps by several ranking masters."

This division into four smaller corps might be useful when assigning common Force powers. Shaping the Force so that various stinging and biting pests leave you alone sounds useful to the agricorps, for instance.
Rusharn
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we go from Clone Wars, as I understand it, The last thing a learner does before becoming a padawan is make their light saber. If they failed to become a padawan, it most likely means they didn't have the chance to make a light saber.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And my guess is that you don't fail out after you've made it to Padawan, the question is a matter of when you finish your apprenticeship.

In my mind it's not unlike getting A's at Harvard Divinity School. You're going to get an A on your paper, because your professor only accepts A quality work, it's a question of how many freaking times you'll have to redo it before it's "up to standards."
luna.wolves
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The game is set before the clone wars.
Thank you Zarn, Rusharn and cheshire for your help.
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly as a matter of opinion, I would say that no Jedi would be required to surrender a lightsaber he or she has constructed for any reason other than having been ejected from the Order. Entering into the Service Corps isn't at all the same thing, that's more a matter of a student simply not having been selected as a padawan learner by a Master, and ending up serving as part of the order in some capacity other than knight. It might occasionally be the case that a student might opt for Service Corps work. (One might become so enamored of the field of archaeology, for example, that serving in the Exploration branch becomes a personal calling preferable to knighthood.)

However, whether a student has constructed their first lightsaber by this point is another question. Timing and methods of training and testing seem to have changed and evolved throughout the existence of the Order. It seems that at least some students learn to build their first lightsaber as younglings, before they even become eligible to be selected by a master as a padawan (this is shown in some depth in a certain Clone Wars story.)

So there may be Agricultural Corps Jedi who carry lightsabers, but who rarely use them and mainly keep them as symbolic of being members of the Order as a whole. Others might have found their first crystal as part of the eligibility rite, but Masters at the time felt it was more appropriate for students to learn lightsaber construction as part of individual instruction as padawans, so they simply keep their crystal as memento (on a pendant or something) if they weren't selected as padawans. Still others may have opted for the Service Corps, or been selected for them before they got to the point of going through the rite, and wouldn't have found their crystal as part of it.

One might also consider that training in the use of a lightsaber begins at a very young age, so even Jedi not selected as padawans would have some understanding of how to use one, and it's not likely it would be considered unsafe to allow them to be kept. As well, even non-knight Jedi still bear the same responsibility of protecting the innocent, so those who've at some point constructed their lightsaber might even still be expected to make use of them, should the situation absolutely demand it.

Last edited by Tinman on Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcbobbo
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the player desires one, make it the object of an adventure. In that era I assume they would be relatively easy to come by.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcbobbo wrote:
If the player desires one, make it the object of an adventure. In that era I assume they would be relatively easy to come by.

I am reminded of the KOTOR games, where you play through the first 20% without a lightsaber, then wind up with like 20 of them by the end of the game, from all the various Dark Jedi and Sith you kill.

That said, I think Tinman has the right of it... you're not going to be required to surrender a lightsaber you've created unless you're being ejected from the order, and so some members of the Service Corps may carry them... while others, even their hierarchical superiors, may not.
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no. The lightsaber should be viewed as a Jedi's badge of office. It should be among the last skills taught, though there will be exceptions such as Kyle Katarn. Just because the younglings at the Jedi Temple were training in lightsaber combat, doesn't mean they know how to build one, or are authorised to carry one.

In the USA, many children are taught proper firearm safety when they are young, but are not allowed to handle the weapon without their parent's being present. I think the younglings in Star Wars have a similar arrangement.
Theodrim
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what's written, the earliest point a would-be Jedi is mustered out of the path to knighthood is failing the Initiate trials, being selected as a Padawan, or (conjecturally on my part) volunteering to join the Service Corps. Which means, regardless of outcome, they still underwent the Gathering and were instructed on how to construct their first lightsaber.

Members of the Service Corps are still Jedi -- they're just not Jedi Knights. Being the lightsaber is the symbol of the Jedi Order, and has already been said the "badge of office", I don't see a Service Corps' member being asked or ordered to relinquish their lightsaber for simply having failed their trials -- or not being selected as a Padawan. Especially since they're already trained in their use, even if not to the degree of a Knight or even a Padawan. Doubly so, for the fact we've seen time and again in the source material a lightsaber has way more uses than killing.

Just because Service Corps' primary mode of service doesn't involve the use of a lightsaber as a weapon, does not mean they have no use for them, nor no right to possess one. Even if it's locked into the low-power or training setting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: