The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

My art
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork -> My art Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old issue of draw magazine that talks about this concept. I'll try to post pics from the issue later.

Cheers
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pic from Bret Blevins from Draw #3:

http://s32.postimg.org/7osay6rlx/tmp_23558_DSC_11501025768376.jpg
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see what you mean.

Thank you.

It's about making the figure 'pop' more as a dynamic image.
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its rather esoteric advice, and hard to explain, but Bret knows what he is talking about and he explains it rather well. The trouble with photographic reference is that it is by its nature static.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Teazia wrote:
A lot of good stuff going on there. If I could make a suggestion it would be that your pay more attention to the outline of the figure, make more interesting negative space (which also means more interesting positive space). A bit more oomf and action with the contour. You have a pretty strong grasp of the basics.

Cheers!

As much as I like to always continue to improve, this advice doesn't help me much. It reads a bit like: "The way to get better is to be better at being better."

Perhaps if you could give me some more concrete examples. Be more specific? What exactly doesn't work for you, and what changes EXACTLY would you be suggesting?

Thanks.

In my experience, this is something that develops with "experience," but is always the result of trial and error, especially when drawing purely from the imagination. With live models (something not usually available to a character designer), one has the benefit of posing the model in advance and even adjusting the pose until something is found that works. When working with photographic references, you get what you get; though, if the artist is confident enough, he may make adjustments to the pose that are not easily converted from the photo.

In any case, given what has been disclosed about the work in this thread, I see a pretty advanced artist developing skill with a secondary medium (digital).

Dred, how do you feel about your ability to draw exclusively from your imagination?

Me? I always see a difference between my drawings from reference and those from my imagination... the problem I have is that I hold my imaginative drawings to the same standard of realism that I hold my drawings from life or photos... it results in a lot of frustration, honestly. I actually decided to post one of my drawings up here in a minute, so you'll see what I mean.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
Dredwulf60 wrote:
Teazia wrote:
A lot of good stuff going on there. If I could make a suggestion it would be that your pay more attention to the outline of the figure, make more interesting negative space (which also means more interesting positive space). A bit more oomf and action with the contour. You have a pretty strong grasp of the basics.

Cheers!

As much as I like to always continue to improve, this advice doesn't help me much. It reads a bit like: "The way to get better is to be better at being better."

Perhaps if you could give me some more concrete examples. Be more specific? What exactly doesn't work for you, and what changes EXACTLY would you be suggesting?

Thanks.

In my experience, this is something that develops with "experience," but is always the result of trial and error, especially when drawing purely from the imagination. With live models (something not usually available to a character designer), one has the benefit of posing the model in advance and even adjusting the pose until something is found that works. When working with photographic references, you get what you get; though, if the artist is confident enough, he may make adjustments to the pose that are not easily converted from the photo.

In any case, given what has been disclosed about the work in this thread, I see a pretty advanced artist developing skill with a secondary medium (digital).

Dred, how do you feel about your ability to draw exclusively from your imagination?

Me? I always see a difference between my drawings from reference and those from my imagination... the problem I have is that I hold my imaginative drawings to the same standard of realism that I hold my drawings from life or photos... it results in a lot of frustration, honestly. I actually decided to post one of my drawings up here in a minute, so you'll see what I mean.

Most of my works are from imagination. I have just gotten into the habit of using models fairly recently when I want to capture an authentic 'military' look as opposed to a cartoon or comic book style look.

On my deviant art page, much of what is seen is purely from imagination, though often with photographic references for textures, equipment and the like.

Some of the mando-based work; is done from photos sent to me from the people who actually built the armor and wear it to conventions for instance; but the poses are 'mine'.

examples:
http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/art/Mandos-at-War-203796198
http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/art/Carpet-Hunting-203795272
http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/art/Mereel-Come-and-get-him-203795856

In this one, I used a picture as a model for the zeltron girl, the rest is 'imagination'
http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/art/Dar-Kyram-in-action-203796824

This one is 100% imagination; drawn to specification by request:
http://dredwulf60.deviantart.com/art/Malice-Goth-mando-sith-203794983
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say is that your drawing is quite advanced. You have a level of consistency that I find difficult to achieve.

If the Pit ever gets around to making it possible to post images directly from my computer, Ill share some of my stuff.
Teazia
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next piece of constructive criticism is that now you have the basics locked down, you can start focusing on finish and texture. Computer art software now offers a plethora of tools for these and you might as well use them!

If you have access to the D&D 3e (2000?), 4e (2008?) and 5e (2014?) PHBs, you can see a gradual progression of this sort of thing.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What medium do you work in, Teazia? Any samples of your stuff?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Artwork All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: