The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Killing a Jedi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Killing a Jedi Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, what about the feasibility of a weapon that disrupted the lightsaber itself? Something that, upon contact with the blade, would disrupt how the weapon functioned for a brief period, opening up the Jedi's defenses?

Cortosis bullets, perhaps? A successful parry vaporizes the bullet, but also shuts the saber down, requiring the Jedi to reactivate it before he can parry again...

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we have had several threads on HOW to rework it, so you get MORE than 'just a feeling of impending attack', and some of those responses did grade up how much info you get, based on how WELL do you on your danger sense...

If we based it on the films, there wouldn't even BE a danger sense power you had to bring up.. As by the films it seems ALWAYS active...
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Tinman wrote:
There's a Chiss weapon called a Charric, which fires an unusual sort of particle beam which is notable for lightsabers blades not being able to deflect it. In fact, it apparently interacts in such a way as to generate a good deal of kinetic energy, to the extent that they've been known to disarm someone attempting to block shots with a lightsaber.

What is your reference here? The only weapon I recall Jedi not being able to parry (at least in the EU) was Ssi-ruuvi stun beams, which the lightsaber could bend to a slightly different angle, but could not parry. Isn't there a scene in VOTF where Luke broke Mara out of the Hand of Thrawn throne room, using his lightsaber to parry charric shots...

That's taken directly from Survivor's Quest (also a Zahn Novel, and also featuring Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker) and the same effect is noted again in Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning. Charrics have also appeared in a number of other novels, and one of the LucasArts games (Knights of the Old Republic II) in which they also have the unique property of "unstoppable," with the in game effect of not being subject to lightsaber deflection (though they have no disarming effect, because that wasn't written into the game as a base mechanic.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, since those 'novels' are now legends, not canon, i can easily see CRM saying that point doesn't exist anymore..
Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, since those 'novels' are now legends, not canon, i can easily see CRM saying that point doesn't exist anymore..

Hmmm, what level of canon do games published by LucasArts occupy? I'm not someone who's ordinarily a stickler for that. In fact, arguments about canon are pretty much banned from our games (even if someone has to go blue in the face restraining themselves) because very little gaming gets done otherwise. (So far as we're concerned, the "first level" of canon in terms of the game is anything WEG published, and anything else comes after that, but that's just our own policy.)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same as novels produced during the 'EU' time frame...
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Just as I can easily see garhkal saying that, because WEG never published official stats for them, they never existed in the first place. Wink

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tinman wrote:
That's taken directly from Survivor's Quest (also a Zahn Novel, and also featuring Mara Jade and Luke Skywalker) and the same effect is noted again in Dark Nest III: The Swarm War, by Troy Denning. Charrics have also appeared in a number of other novels, and one of the LucasArts games (Knights of the Old Republic II) in which they also have the unique property of "unstoppable," with the in game effect of not being subject to lightsaber deflection (though they have no disarming effect, because that wasn't written into the game as a base mechanic.)

Well, in that case, since the Chiss are essentially isolated from the mainstream SWU until a good 15-20 years after ROTJ, these weapons aren't available until then.

I'm also a little suspicious of the idea that a particle beam weapon will ignore a lightsaber. Is the idea that it ignores the beam and that it passes right through it?

Now, if the idea were that these weapons could be blocked, but could not be redirected, and that they were harder to parry due to the kinetic energy delivered, I'd be more interested. For instance, if the rule were that charric blasts could be parried, but if you beat the parry difficulty by less than 10, the lightsaber was knocked out of your hands, that'd be a cool effect, without the arbitrary handwaving of saying that a particle beam weapon is completely unaffected by a lightsaber. I mean, it's highly unlikely that the force field / plasma beam of a lightsaber wouldn't affect the particle beam somehow.

Tinman
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Tinman wrote:

Well, in that case, since the Chiss are essentially isolated from the mainstream SWU until a good 15-20 years after ROTJ, these weapons aren't available until then.

I'm also a little suspicious of the idea that a particle beam weapon will ignore a lightsaber. Is the idea that it ignores the beam and that it passes right through it?

Now, if the idea were that these weapons could be blocked, but could not be redirected, and that they were harder to parry due to the kinetic energy delivered, I'd be more interested. For instance, if the rule were that charric blasts could be parried, but if you beat the parry difficulty by less than 10, the lightsaber was knocked out of your hands, that'd be a cool effect, without the arbitrary handwaving of saying that a particle beam weapon is completely unaffected by a lightsaber. I mean, it's highly unlikely that the force field / plasma beam of a lightsaber wouldn't affect the particle beam somehow.

I merely point it out as an example suggesting that there likely are variants on directed energy weapons which lightsabers aren't designed to cope well with. It's a tool, and like any tool it likely has its own inherent limitations or drawbacks, some of which might even be regarded as counterintuitive in specific circumstances.

I'd presume that if a clever enough weapons engineer were to understand well enough how a lightsaber works, they could eventually come up with something which it doesn't work well against, or even works very badly against. That might even be part of why the Jedi have seemed inclined to keep that technology to themselves as much as possible, and if so that would have been very smart of them.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Just as I can easily see garhkal saying that, because WEG never published official stats for them, they never existed in the first place. Wink

Well if i have not statted them out, of course they don't exist.. All things swell from my butt!! Or is that the chilli speaking. Razz Razz
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preeeeetty sure it's the chili... Twisted Evil

JironGhrad
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm.... chili....
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Preeeeetty sure it's the chili... Twisted Evil

Well, it was rather good though..
gavin storm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disruptor Riffle/Pistol

A Favourite of mine in an old forum based game, Sonic pistol.

Stuncoils, cant be bloked.

All of the above are draw backs to going into a fight with a lightsaber.

Lure them to a planet that has those creatures that grenerate anti force bubbles. (An unknown one).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: