The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Attribute Damage for D6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Attribute Damage for D6
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:39 am    Post subject: Attribute Damage for D6 Reply with quote

I always felt the D20 Attribute Damage rules were unnecessarily clunky, but under D6, where all attributes (except Move) are expressed in D6 values, it's a lot simpler. In fact, when characters are injured, the damage is expressed as attribute damage (in a sense) due to the D penalty to all actions until healed.

So, we have the hit location chart for characters, so as to detail exactly which body part took the hit for damage, but only vague guidelines as to how to apply that damage. What I'm thinking (in general terms) is applying a penalty to Attribute/s based on what part got hit. For example, a character who takes a shot to the head for a Wounded result gets a -1D penalty to Knowledge and Perception (got his bell rung and isn't quite all there); a Wounded hand causes a -1D penalty to Dexterity (excepting Dodge and Running) and Technical; a Wounded Leg causes a -1D penalty to Dex (Dodge & Running only), Strength and causes a Lost Move, and so on and so forth.

I'm on the fence as to whether or not this should be in addition to the blanket -1D penalty to all actions when wounded, or replace it. I'm mostly just getting this written down to see what people think.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that the specific attribute damage should replace the general penalty... it seems to me that the general penalty implies a generalized loss of function, and that specific attribute penalties should be saved for long-term damage that will require more than a medpac to treat... bacta tanks, surgery, or even cyborging.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think RAW's way of blanket penalties is good enough for the cinematic reality of Star Wars. I personally wouldn't like to nickel and dime it that much, so I'll stick with the general penalties in most cases, but that's just me. There's certainly room in D6 for this option for anyone that wants a little more realism, but more realism means more crunch so it's also a matter of how crunchy you like it.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
I would say that the specific attribute damage should replace the general penalty... it seems to me that the general penalty implies a generalized loss of function, and that specific attribute penalties should be saved for long-term damage that will require more than a medpac to treat... bacta tanks, surgery, or even cyborging.

So maybe the general -1D penalty for the first round or two, then attribute specific damage replaces it as the shock wears off?

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
I think RAW's way of blanket penalties is good enough for the cinematic reality of Star Wars. I personally wouldn't like to nickel and dime it that much, so I'll stick with the general penalties in most cases, but that's just me. There's certainly room in D6 for this option for anyone that wants a little more realism, but more realism means more crunch so it's also a matter of how crunchy you like it.

True. My thinking is that, for those who don't mind a little crunch, it'd be nice to have the Hit Location Table have an actual effect, beyond the simply descriptive "you got hit in the left leg."

MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

So maybe the general -1D penalty for the first round or two, then attribute specific damage replaces it as the shock wears off?

That would make sense, but, again, I'm at a loss of when I'd want to impose it.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
That would make sense, but, again, I'm at a loss of when I'd want to impose it.

It would primarily be to add some teeth to the Hit Location Chart in the RAW, for those who don't mind a little extra crunch. It could also, by extension, provide specific effects for called shots, such as a gunman shooting an enemy in the hand. I could also see attribute damage being used for specialty weapons that have mental effects (like the Gun of Command), or more exotic effects, like the Graviton Gun from WH40K that drastically increases the target's weight, sapping its strength and mobility.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: