The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Archive/Feedback for Advanced Starfighter Combat Project Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An additional rule regarding how Decoy Drones affect Lock-On.

Trickster and Mimic decoys are particularly effective against Sensor Locks. When a Decoy is launched, any Sensor Lock is automatically broken, and the enemy sensor operator must roll Sensors to differentiate between the Decoy and the launching ship (using the rules described under the Decoy stats). On a successful Sensors roll, the Sensor operator may attempt to reacquire Lock-On as normal. On a failed roll, the sensor operator can not tell the difference between the Decoy and the ship. If the operator attempts to Lock On anyway, roll 1D, and on a result of 1-3, the Lock On acquires the Drone instead.

A ship equipped with multiple launchers may fire multiple decoys simultaneously, adding +1D to Sensor Difficulty to identify the real ship. The upper limit of drones that can be simultaneously fired is equal to the number of fire linked launchers the ship possesses (for example, an X-Wing could fire a maximum of two decoys simultaneously). Attempts to fire additional drones in sequential fire provides no additional advantage, as it distinguishes the launching ship from the previously launched drones.

In addition, on a reacquisition roll when two drones have been fired, the lock on targets one of the Drones on a roll of 1-4.

When a drone is the target of a Lock-On, it evades as normal, using the same Maneuverability as the launching ship, with a skill equivalent of 5D.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a change to the Homing & Guided Weapon Follow-Up Attack Rules, adding in Range values.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another thought regarding decoy drones with regard to their usefulness in defense suppression missions. A common tactic for Wild Weasel / SEAD missions is to deliberately allow the suppressor aircraft to be detected by enemy defenses. The defenses then engage the suppressor with active radar, which gives the suppressor a target to lock onto with anti-radiation missiles.

With a decoy, however, a suppressor can remain undetected while the decoy draws out the defenses...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ROGUE ONE SPOILER: I changed the name of Mag-Pulse Torpedoes (from the X-Wing games) to Ion Torpedoes, which are used by X-Wings to disable an Imperial Star Destroyer in the battle of Scarif. This redesignation is long overdue, as the use of Mag-Pulse weaponry to inflict temporary damage in the X-Wing games does not fit with the description of Mag-Pulse weaponry in the WEG material.

EDIT: I'm thinking I'll keep the Mag-Pulse Torpedoes as the canon name for the Haywire Torpedoes.

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this done, CRM? And where can we find it for download in its entirety?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Is this done, CRM? And where can we find it for download in its entirety?

Here, pretty much. There was discussion of including it in a Wraith Squadron Sourcebook that shootingwomprats was working on, but there hasn't been a lot of movement on that front. There's a few other ideas I've come up with in separate topics that should be included:
There may be others, but these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

If you're interested in compiling, be my guest.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put this together, it was pretty haphazard, with ideas being written up pretty much on the basis of what I felt inspired to work on and what concepts I was working out in my head almost as I wrote them. In addition, there are multiple ideas for weapons that are scattered across multiple different posts, all of which tie back in to the missile & torpedo launchers listed on the first page. Rather than trying to sort it all out here, I think I may reorganize the various weapons pages in the same manner I did the Capital Ship Weapons page, then tack them onto the end of the Revised Starship Stats topic.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the idea of doing it as a netbook is not on the table, and it will exist as collection of forum posts?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
So, the idea of doing it as a netbook is not on the table, and it will exist as collection of forum posts?

No, the idea for a netbook remains on the table; there was talk of folding my rules into the G+ community's Wraith Squadron Sourcebook, but that seems to be perpetually on hold. I lack the skill set needed to produce a pdf on my own, and I need fluff contributors, as well.

As of right now, the best way for people to access the rules would be to include it in my Index, but as I said, it was originally written and posted in a rather haphazard fashion. On top of that, some of my additions have been subsequently bypassed by what I did with the stat update project (or included in the updated stats). I also have some refinements in mind that I'd like to include as part of an update. I suppose I could add the updated version as new posts, perhaps with a link on the first page, redirecting people past the first five pages to the new stuff...

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general terms, the changes I'm envisioning are focused primarily on the Concussion Missiles. Under the original system, I had basically made them Proton Torpedoes in miniature, still requiring an external Lock-On from the launching ship's sensor system.

What I'm envisioning now is making Concussion Missiles more like modern passive-homing missiles, of which the AIM-9 Sidewinder heat-seeking missile is a good example. There will be multiple variants (including standard and advanced dogfighting missiles, a semi-active anti-signal missile, as well as ground attack and heavy unguided variants). The key difference will be that the lock-on will be handled through the missile's seeker head, not the launching ship's sensors. The concussion missile's passive guidance, combined with their smaller size, will make them much harder to detect (and thus avoid).

Proton torpedo launchers will remain pretty much unchanged, but will also be able to fire concussion missiles by fitting them with an adaptor sleeve that allows an encapsulated concussion missile to be handled by the larger-diameter magazines on a pro-torp launcher.

cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:

No, the idea for a netbook remains on the table; there was talk of folding my rules into the G+ community's Wraith Squadron Sourcebook, but that seems to be perpetually on hold. I lack the skill set needed to produce a pdf on my own, and I need fluff contributors, as well.

I hear ya. Trying to get a book together relies a lot of unified passions among diverse skill sets.

It too me YEARS to get little handbook out, and even then in some ways it still feels like an incomplete project.

You can make the interior look similar to a WEG product in Microsoft Word, but it is a LOT of work. But that doesn't really help you once it comes to cover design. And then there's the interior art which is either expensive, the recipient of an artist's charity, or HARD to do without stepping on toes.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CONCUSSION MISSILES:

Concussion Missiles are the lightest form of ordnance mounted on starfighters. Fast and maneuverable, they also operate entirely on passive sensors (or, in some cases, independent target designators), making them very difficult to detect. While they lack the punch needed to damage larger targets, concussion missiles are the primary ordnance choice against other starfighters, especially at close range.

How to Use:
When firing the missile, treat it just like any other weapon; roll Starship Gunnery + Fire Control. The Lock-On process is considered to be part of the Gunnery Action but, unlike the Active Sensor Lock used by Proton Torpedoes, it is entirely passive in nature, and provides no automatic warning.

If that shot misses, most Missiles are capable of reorienting on the target and making a Follow-Up Attack, using the following table:
    Missed By = Result
    <10 = Weapon is still homing, and may attack as normal the following round
    10-20 = Weapon has lost lock, but may roll to reacquire in the next round (use the Missile's Sensor rating vs. Easy Difficulty, and can be dodged). If lock is reestablished, the weapon may attack as normal in the following round. If the lock is lost, the weapon's safety settings engage and it self destructs.
    21+ = Weapon has lost lock and can not re-engage. Safety settings engage and the weapon self destructs.

Concussion Missile
Cost: 1,500
Skill: Starship Gunnery (Missile Rating: 3D)
Fire Control: 4D
Space Range: 1-5/12/25
Atmosphere Range: 100m-500m/1.2km/2.5km
Duration: 4 rounds
Damage: 6D

Stalker Missile (Advanced Concussion Missile)
Cost: 3,000
Skill: Starship Gunnery (Missile Skill: 4D)
Fire Control: 5D
Duration: 6 rounds
Damage: 7D

Mag-Pulse Missile
Cost: 2,000
Skill: Starship Gunnery (Missile Skill: 3D)
Duration: 4 rounds
Damage: 5D (Ionization)

Concussion Rocket
Cost: 500
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Fire Control: 3D
Space Range: 1-3/6/12*
Atmosphere Range: 100m-300m/600m/1.2km*
*Double against stationary targets.
Damage: 8D
Note: Can not make Follow-Up Attacks.

Mag-Pulse Rocket
Cost: 750
Fire Control: 3D
Damage: 7D (Ionization)

Marker Rocket
Cost: 750
Damage: Special. On a successful hit, a Marker Missile attaches a Homing Beacon that can be used as an aim-point by other starfighters, adding +3D to hit that point.

Ordnance Load-Out:
Concussion Missiles are rated as Small weapons, little more than half the diameter of a Proton Torpedo. When carried in a Multi-Warhead Launcher, two Concussion Missiles may be carried in place of one Torpedo. Concussion Missiles can be fired by larger-diameter Proton Torpedo Launchers, but must be fitted with an adapter sleeve to mate with the Torpedo Launcher's auto-load magazines.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I've updated this, but I've been doing some thinking about how to better represent the missile combat seen in the X-Wing games. While it's obvious that homing fire-and-forget missiles exist in the EU (see AotC and RotS), the action in the X-Wing games isn't like that.

What I'm thinking is limiting the Follow-Up Attack rules strictly to more advanced weapons, and making the basic missiles single-attack weapons with high damage and Fire Control to make up for their limited supply.

I'm also thinking of redoing the proton torpedoes by making them relatively slow, short-ranged weapons whose primary advantage is their ability to penetrate shields, as well as being more resistant to being shot down by point defenses. The anti-starfighter torpedoes will be replaced with larger missiles instead.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giving this a bump, as there is renewed interest in a Rogue Squadron / Wraith Squadron / X-Wing Sourcebook on a couple Facebook communities, and I've committed to doing the combat rules and starfighter stats.

Mamatried
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question and suggestion to this awesome one.

Combat Maneuvering
Prerequisites: Starfighter Piloting 5D, Starship Gunnery 5D
Description: This skill represents the intense level of training combat pilots undergo to maximize the effectiveness of a starfighters in combat.

I see that this is meant for starfighters and light freighters etc. however do you have one similar for capital ships, especially the smaller more agile ones like corvettes and frigates.

Or would simply swapping the skills with capital ship piloting and gunnery do it and otherwise use the rule , or do you have other rules in mind for such ships?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: