The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Rogon (10 min. read)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Rogon (10 min. read) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarn wrote:
I commend you for posting these things. It is fun to discuss this game which I hold dear. I do notice that you rarely if ever do anything but dismiss the suggestions others give.

This is, of course, your prerogative. I do find, though, that asking for input and then dismissing all of the suggestions isn't particularly conducive to further discussion.

Wait, are you saying that I dismiss the suggestions of others? I feel that's the furthest thing from the truth... I may explain sometimes why I zigged when someone else thought I should have zagged, but I never, ever dismiss the input of the folks on this forum just out of hand. If I were dismissing you, I would simply not respond at all, rather than arguing (arguing in the sense that lawyers argue) for or against something.

I thought I took your suggestion of putting this particular character's discblade forging skill under TEC. What I will tell you is that I believe that it would be Melee weapon repair: discblade rather than any (A) skill, because all a discblade is is a piece of metal which is pounded perfectly flat, has teeth ground into it, and then is sharpened. The most basic one would resemble a small circular saw blade, except with larger teeth. Of course there is more to it than that, but not so much more that it would be an advanced skill. Pounding out a rudimentary discblade is not anywhere near the complexity level of (A) Medicine or even (A) Camouflage. Just because another writer decided it is an "exotic" weapon in the SWU doesn't mean it's extremely difficult to create. I actually think most folks mean "rare" when they say exotic in reference to weapons on this forum anyway. An exotic weapon is a lightwhip.

This topic has all kinds of folks giving me input (much of which I took), and I even put a poll up on the original post so folks could tell me what they wanted my creation to be called.

Maybe you can give examples of me dismissing? It's important to me that folks feel like they are at least "heard" when they reply to any of my topics (I read every word).

Also, and this may be painful (/sarcasm), but asking for and receiving suggestions is not a commitment in any sense to implement any suggestion that any arbitrary forum-goer comes up with. If I did that, I'd be a very poor designer of game elements, and so would anyone else who operated that way. Their concepts (pure, simple at first) would turn into nonsensical pastiches once enough spare parts had been tacked on or been broken off. I ask for feedback because I miss things and have blind spots when it comes to designs. But I don't have to follow them.

A good example is your suggestion that I increase Rogon's Planetary systems to 5D+1, which would allow me to cut some of his specializations out. I explained that I wanted this elder character to appear realistically weathered, and that's part of the way I attempted to accomplish that. That's not dismissing your suggestion, it's explaining that there is a reason I have left that particular aspect of this character the way it is.

What I do when folks give me suggestions is either agree with them or not, explain why or why not, implement them or not, and then move on to the next blind spot I might need help with. If you feel I have been dismissive toward you personally, then I must say I feel bad about it. I barely even differentiate between individuals on this forum...that's not an insult, just the truth.

What I gathered from your last post in this thread was that the stuff from the Alliance Intelligence Reports was this:

Zarn wrote:
So, it seems that stuff's wildly inconsistent here - perhaps the best source already established when it comes to these skills.

So, regarding it as "wildly inconsistent" is exactly what I've done: I went back to the old standby of "repair" skills doubling as "creation" skills in TEC.

This is also the internet, and most of the tone is installed by the reader rather than the writer. Maybe you should just assume I'm saying everything with a huge smile (mostly true) and you may feel way less dismissed by me in particular.

Last edited by Error on Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated DC's under TEC and KNO to reflect recent discussions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: