The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Need a D6 Stat conversion for Smuggler's Trenchcoat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Need a D6 Stat conversion for Smuggler's Trenchcoat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbinProject wrote:
That's what I thought you were asking and from the way Pick Pockets and Hide are worded either skill should work, but I still think a specialization in Sleight of Hand should give a bonus because it focuses on the characters ability to move items around unnoticed while under close scrutiny.

garhkal wrote:
You are misunderstanding me. I was on about for the one WEARING said jacket/trench coat.. Which skill he would use to get something out unnoticed, so as to avoid suspicion.

If I were you (and I'm not), I would rule that for the wearer of a Smuggler's Garment to access a hidden pocket at a gaming table, where many eyes may be on them, he or she would use his or her Sneak skill. This is an obvious one for me, though I acknowledge that it is not so for everyone, otherwise it would not be contentious.

The PC wouldn't use Hide because they already know exactly where the sought-after item is, and it's just obvious to me that using Pickpocket on yourself makes no sense.

Hold on a sec, I'm going to pickpocket myself.

Looks like I found my keys! 8)
ForbinProject
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
ForbinProject wrote:
That's what I thought you were asking and from the way Pick Pockets and Hide are worded either skill should work, but I still think a specialization in Sleight of Hand should give a bonus because it focuses on the characters ability to move items around unnoticed while under close scrutiny.

garhkal wrote:
You are misunderstanding me. I was on about for the one WEARING said jacket/trench coat.. Which skill he would use to get something out unnoticed, so as to avoid suspicion.

If I were you (and I'm not), I would rule that for the wearer of a Smuggler's Garment to access a hidden pocket at a gaming table, where many eyes may be on them, he or she would use his or her Sneak skill. This is an obvious one for me, though I acknowledge that it is not so for everyone, otherwise it would not be contentious.

The PC wouldn't use Hide because they already know exactly where the sought-after item is, and it's just obvious to me that using Pickpocket on yourself makes no sense.

Hold on a sec, I'm going to pickpocket myself.

Looks like I found my keys! 8)

I prefer to go by the rule book

Sneak
Time Taken: One round.
Specializations: Specific type of terrain — jungle, urban.
Sneak represents the character's ability to move silently, hide from view, move in shadows and otherwise creep around without being noticed. This is an opposed roll — the character sneaking around makes a roll, and anyone who might spot the character makes a search or Perception roll.
This skill allows characters to hide themselves only — to conceal objects, they must use the hide skill.
This skill is also used when the character wants to make a long distance journey without leaving behind physical
clues. The character makes a roll to leave behind false clues and paths and the tracking character must make an opposed search roll to follow the true path.

Hide
Specializations: Camouflage.
Hide represents a character's ability to conceal objects from view. The skill is used when trying to hide weapons on one's person, conceal goods within luggage, plant objects to be left in a room and other similar tasks.

Pick Pocket
Characters use pick pocket to pick the pockets of others, or to palm objects without being noticed. When a character makes a pick pocket attempt, the victim makes an opposed search or Perception roll to notice it.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly. All 3 skills could by their wording be used... but which would be better?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
All 3 skills could by their wording be used... but which would be better?

I think you may be suffering from over complicating the issue. Its not so much which is the best skill but if the player can make a reasonable explanation of which fits the situation and the GM agrees. There are a lot of skills that crossover in SWd6. We have to remember not to fall into the D&D mentality of rigid thinking. Over the last year or more I have been broadening the use of skills in my games and it works very well.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
garhkal wrote:
All 3 skills could by their wording be used... but which would be better?

I think you may be suffering from over complicating the issue. Its not so much which is the best skill but if the player can make a reasonable explanation of which fits the situation and the GM agrees. There are a lot of skills that crossover in SWd6. We have to remember not to fall into the D&D mentality of rigid thinking. Over the last year or more I have been broadening the use of skills in my games and it works very well.

^ This ^

And as for the rule book, the introductions of one or more of the core books usually have a paragraph that boils down to: "If you disagree with how one or more of the rules we've written functions, tell it (or us) to get f*cked, and either alter ours or make up your own." This is actually the essence of the D6 system.

I stand proudly by my earlier statement. If one of my PC's wants to surreptitiously bring out a pre-hidden cheating card, I'm sorry dudes, but that's a Sneak roll for me and also for my entire gaming group.

DID YOU KNOW?

Over-reliance on the rules (and the placement of undue emphasis on the specific wording(s) of such rules) is called pedantry. One who practices pedantry is called a pedant, and one who does so even in the face of diminishing returns (arguments like these) would be called pedantic.

Confer this.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error, you are correct about how to apply rules to your game and adjudicate those. I try to emphasize this when giving out advice for gaming. There is more than one way of doing things.

As for your player and group using a specific skill in a given situation, that of course is something for the GM to adjudicate. For me, I would probably go with Perception, con, sneak, sleight of hand, Dexterity or whatnot allowing the player to present how he is using the skill in the given situation and if I think it makes sense.

My point about rigid thinking and application of skills is that a broadening of skill usage allows the players and the GM broaden the game experience.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: