The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Playable Species List?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Playable Species List? Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Playable Species List? Reply with quote

Do any of you GMs restrict your players to choosing their PC's race from an allowable species list? If so, let's see your list.

EDIT: Here is my updated list.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 am; edited 3 times in total
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For home games at most i limit races allowed to whats in the 3 main aliens books, without any of those insectoid/monstrous looking races (such as that funky 3 headed chicken).. Out right a no, are things like the Noghori, clawdites, those brain suckers (the ones who think brains are soup, can't remember their damn name right now).. Others are on a case by case basis.

I have not made an official list. BUT one thing i do do, is use a CP cost to purchase an alien race.. That cost takes some of your starting 21 pips, since many alien races do give benefits... The more benefits, the higher the cost.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no list, but if a player wants a PC of a race which is difficult logistically to manage (such as a Hutt, for example...imagine a Hutt PC!), I shoo them away from it and tell them to pick something at least man-sized or slightly smaller/larger. Other than that, maybe species in a campaign have static abilities that may be relevant to the plotline in some way or another.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For home games at most i limit races allowed to whats in the 3 main aliens books, without any of those insectoid/monstrous looking races (such as that funky 3 headed chicken)..

I've always wanted to play one of those three headed chickens. I would bring two sock puppets to the RPG sessions to help with the character.
RedKnight
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played in a saga game with some one playing a hutt jedi.....it was...interesting to say the least.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I have no list, but if a player wants a PC of a race which is difficult logistically to manage (such as a Hutt, for example...imagine a Hutt PC!), I shoo them away from it and tell them to pick something at least man-sized or slightly smaller/larger. Other than that, maybe species in a campaign have static abilities that may be relevant to the plotline in some way or another.

Thinking on the logistics of things. Certain races mention they need twice (or more) the normal amount of food, such as the Teltior's.. Ever had a game go where they couldn't GET that larger amount of grub?
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
For home games at most i limit races allowed to whats in the 3 main aliens books, without any of those insectoid/monstrous looking races (such as that funky 3 headed chicken).. Out right a no, are things like the Noghori, clawdites, those brain suckers (the ones who think brains are soup, can't remember their d*mn name right now).. Others are on a case by case basis.

I have not made an official list. BUT one thing i do do, is use a CP cost to purchase an alien race.. That cost takes some of your starting 21 pips, since many alien races do give benefits... The more benefits, the higher the cost.

I appreciate that general Sparks mentality of trying to balance starting PCs with each other. I try to do the same thing but go in a different direction by giving all my playable species (including humans) a balanced "species abilities package". Lower-value species abilities are made up for with bonus initial skill allocation dice. I make no effort to balance NPCs or races as a whole with each other, because not all species have evolved equally. I only try to balance PCs to each other. It's not an exact science but it ends up way more balanced than RAW.

What do you have against Insectoid species? Do you just mean non-humanoid species like Vratix? Or do you not even allow humanoid species like Verpine?
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Young Hutts Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I have no list, but if a player wants a PC of a race which is difficult logistically to manage (such as a Hutt, for example...imagine a Hutt PC!), I shoo them away from it and tell them to pick something at least man-sized or slightly smaller/larger.

I'm with you guys on not wanting large-sized PCs, but I love Hutts so much that I allow them as PCs. However Hutt PCs in my game are in a younger phase of their life (age 180-200) when they typically progress to about 18D in attributes but still before they grow so large like Gardulla and Jabba (who was about 600 years old in the classic era). So imagine something roughly the body shape and size of halfway in between the CG Jabba from ANH and Sluissi.

In my SWU, Hutts around the age of 130 are traditionally sent out into the galaxy by their families to go out on their own for 55-80 years and gain life experience and contacts that will later aid them in running the family businesses someday. It's a decades-long rite of passage. Those Hutts who are particularly inept and dependent on their family, who never achieve success and sometimes even go home early, usually stay at the bottom of pecking order for the rest of their lives (not all Hutts can be powerful crime lords), but these Hutts are not ones that become PCs. Sometimes even the successful young Hutts aren't completely on their own and may retain secret contact with their families or even develop secret alliances with rival Hutt families. Young Hutts may become smugglers to someday better manage smuggling rings. They may become gang bangers, bank robbers, mercenaries, bounty hunters, pirates, gamblers or even legitimate business operators. A minority of these young Hutts may even pursue some atypical vocations like becoming an artist or farmer. They may go to college and try out multiple occupations over the years of this time period. The really successful ones may even develop their own largely independent business operations and not even go back to their families.

During this time of little to no contact with their Hutt families, a minority of these young Hutts may even develop a sense of morality and become outright heroic, fighting for just causes. By age 200-210, almost all of these Hutts "get over" these altruistic tendencies, so when they return to their families they begin to become the stereotypical egotistical megalomaniacs that Hutts normally are. When older Hutts learn of these "good" Hutt adventures they usually just shake their heads and laugh, confident that it is just a youthful phase the Hutts have to "get out of their system" before becoming a proper Hutt. An older Hutt may be embarrassed to be reminded of their own youthful adventures as a young adult.

I think my concept makes Hutts even more interesting. Even the rare good young Hutt is almost predestined to turn evil someday, and stay that way. (The only way to not live long enough to see yourself become a villain would be to die as a hero.) For my version of Hutts, I wanted to honor the spirit of the fluff about Hutts but still allow some independent and maybe even good Hutts for the sake of being PCs. However I never liked WEG's take on Hutts being hermaphroditic because Jabba in part represented sexual lust (so much that there was even a veiled threat of interspecies rape in RotJ). And I liked the asexual Hutts even less after seeing that Jabba had a girlfriend in TPM. In the new canon they have actually updated Hutts to be sexual species with male and female sexes, and I have also gone in that direction with my Hutts too. But most of the rest of entry on Hutts in GG 4 is honored, at least for older Hutts.

Regardless of what a young Hutt does out in the galaxy and their level of accomplishment, those that survive and aren't incarcerated usually just feel when it is time to return home between the ages of 185-210. Then their family elders will listen to the young Hutts recount their adventures. The clan leaders review the young Hutt's income tax documents and business portfolios to decide how to best place the young Hutt within the family businesses. A young Hutt PC may return home at the end of a campaign.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a plausible explanation for why a Hutt could become part of a PC troupe, Whill. Hutts are notorious for being genetically/racially inclined to think only of themselves, but having an altruistic youthful phase seems at least possible. I like it.
Whill

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
That's a plausible explanation for why a Hutt could become part of a PC troupe, Whill. Hutts are notorious for being genetically/racially inclined to think only of themselves, but having an altruistic youthful phase seems at least possible. I like it.

Thanks. In keeping with the Hutt mythos, truly good Hutts are still a minority of Hutts in their young adult phase. I just wanted players to have an option of playing a good Hutt for heroic campaigns. But good Hutts are so rare that they are largely unheard of and mostly disbelieved to even exist by the galaxy at large. Most Hutts in all stages of life usually only reinforce the stereotypes. Hutt reputation as galactic boogeymen can affect Hutt PCs in good and bad ways. It can sometimes help with an intimidation factor and attract certain kinds of business, but it can also hurt with a trust factor.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:

What do you have against Insectoid species? Do you just mean non-humanoid species like Vratix? Or do you not even allow humanoid species like Verpine?

Things like the aganof, ang-ting, arachnoids, araquia, bartokk, bosph, and similar insectoids.. Basically, nothing that we have yet to see in film. Most of what we have seen were humanoid (or near enough).. Heck, i don't remember seeing any sluider (or other 4 legged ones), but at least those can somewhat pass for me.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have an unofficial ban on Ewoks! So far, everyone uses the aliens seen in the movies.

Edit: Classic movies.and I dislike that two head alien in PM annoucer at the Pod races.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:

Edit: Classic movies.and I dislike that two head alien in PM annoucer at the Pod races.

I've always wanted someone to stat that out.. I can't see that race in the aliens collection.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Ninja-Bear wrote:

I've always wanted someone to stat that out.. I can't see that race in the aliens collection.

I just found it in the D20 to D6 Aliens conversion, on page 155. They're called Troigs and while their sourcebook isn't cited, I'll cut and paste their stats here:

Troig
Home Planet: Pollillus
Attribute Dice: 12D
DEXTERITY 1D/3D+2
KNOWLEDGE 1D+1/4D
MECHANICAL 1D+1/4D
PERCEPTION 2D+1/5D
STRENGTH 1D/3D+2
TECHNICAL 1D/3D+2
Special Abilities:
Ambidexterity: Troigs are naturally ambidextrous, and suffer no off-hand penalties.
Hard to Surprise: Because a Troig’s heads are constantly looking out for one another, they are difficult to surprise. As such, they gain a +1D bonus to all search skill checks to detect ambushes.
Multitasking: Due to the fact that their two heads share two arms, Troigs can do two things at once and suffer no penalties. Each head performs separate actions in combat, as well. The two heads can combine actions, as well (refer to the rules for combined actions, SWD6, pages 82-83).
Two Heads: All Troigs have at least two heads, and each head houses a separate mind and personality. The two heads share a limited form of telepathy, and they can understand one another perfectly even if one is speaking a language the other does not know.
Move: 10/12
Size: 1.9-2 meters
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Whill wrote:
Most of what we have seen were humanoid (or near enough).. Heck, i don't remember seeing any sluider (or other 4 legged ones)

I have an insectile species that are like Verpine but four arms instead of two. Still only two legs. I wanted an insect people and like Verpine but thought they should have the correct number of limbs. Spider people make better bad guys.

For non-humanoid bottom-half PCs, I do have equine centaur people, so unlike real mammals on Earth they have six limbs. But they evolved on the other side of the same planet as the insect people, so all lifeforms on that planet probably had six limbs before the planet was destroyed.

Ninja-Bear wrote:
We have an unofficial ban on Ewoks! So far, everyone uses the aliens seen in the movies.

I do have a few prequel aliens (not the pod race announcer species!), but I have a lot more classic aliens.

I used to be opposed to Ewoks PCs on the basis that primitive characters should have less than 1D in Technical and Knowledge, and I just couldn't imagine an 18D Ewok. But the idea of a cute little character that is always being underestimated grew on me, so now I have Ewoks with the caveat that their background must have included leaving Endor for a few years to be somewhat acclimated to galactic civilization (and thus no longer truly primitive). A non-Force-sensitive Ewok's attributes will be exactly the maximums according to my stats (so there is only one possible template stat-wise for non-Force Ewoks). They still seem kind of far-fetched but Ewok PCs are more for comedy.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: