The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Teen gaming
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Teen gaming Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Teen gaming Reply with quote

So, as I mentioned in the Forums Info section about a month ago, I have a new job, as the Teen Librarian in one of the area libraries. Traditionally, the fourth Tuesday of the month is "Teen Gaming" and while they've frequently busted out some board games, I was considering bringing in d6 Star Wars to a session. I'd pass out pregens and run through an adventure or something.

The question is, what would you suggest for a reasonably short (about 2 hours, maybe) game that could get kids started quickly?
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Teen gaming Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
The question is, what would you suggest for a reasonably short (about 2 hours, maybe) game that could get kids started quickly?

The first thing to remember is the style in which you want to play. Move from scene to scene. Cut out the boring stuff. This is done by a brief narration between scenes and a brief introduction of the next scene. When doing a new scene try to get them into whatever action they need to do as quickly as possible. Keep the pace moving. Don't get caught up in the little stuff. You're telling an improve story here.

As for adventure structure in a two slot? That gets a lot more tricky. I would suggest designing a crawl, maybe a script, begin in media res with something (speeder chase, starship piloting, starship combat, running from bad guys through city streets, etc). I would also limit yourself to only a few key scenes.

Basically

1. Crawl/Script
2. Scene 1: something exciting, get them rolling dice.
3. Scene 2: problem solving/roleplaying
4. Scene 3. Conflict
5. Scene 4: Episode resolution
6. Exit Narrative/Close
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have or could get a copy of Instant Adventures, I recommend it.
Enderborn
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Thats really cool. Reply with quote

That sounds like alot of fun.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Even if it's just a 2 hr session, nothing imo says you can't still go with the more published modules, it just means you will be splitting it up over 3-5 sessions...
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if ya look under the downloads section theres a lot of rancorpit conversions .pdf's and a few other fan collected .pdf's. they might help you and the prospective players as most young folk tend to have a digital device of some kind.

http://www.d6holocron.com/

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
thedemonapostle
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and take a look at the D6holocron wiki too, theres a ton of stuff there.

http://d6holocron.com/wiki/index.php?title=D6_Holocron_Wiki

d6holocron.com: Thedemonapostle

Thedemonapostle Star Wars Crossovers
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to run a youth group (consisting of high schoolers), and ran game sessions pretty much the same way I ran it for my friends. Granted, these are older teens, so depending on your demographic, your mileage may vary.

What age ranges are you working with? 13-15? 15-18? 13-19?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
I used to run a youth group (consisting of high schoolers), and ran game sessions pretty much the same way I ran it for my friends. Granted, these are older teens, so depending on your demographic, your mileage may vary.

What age ranges are you working with? 13-15? 15-18? 13-19?

Officially, 12-18 is the range in the room. It tends to skew older, about 15.
shootingwomprats
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a new group of kids I would strongly encourage: pregenerated characters (make sure you have male and female pictures for each character), an opening crawl (so everyone knows the focus of the session), and a quick script (establishes the first scene, establishes basic roleplaying, and introductions to the characters).

I am not sure if you are looking for a fully plotted 2 hour adventure appropriate for the age group or resources or whatnot.
http://d6holocron.com/shootingwomprats
@swd6podcast, Twitter
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first exposure to SWD6 was at boy scout camp at age 12 or 13. We had a mix of 1E and 2E books. Played basically once a month since campouts were once a month. But I loved it right away. Our character sheets were made on ruled paper lol. Until someone put together a Word document for blank sheets that is.

Why this is relative to the thread is we had no prepackaged adventures, the GM never wrote any missions down beforehand either. For a lot of first timers, the option to do whatever they want, sandbox style, is a lot of fun. You can plan out sessions beforehand, but don't be surprised if they just want to explore the game and whatever planet you start them on instead of doing a mission.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shootingwomprats wrote:
For a new group of kids I would strongly encourage: pregenerated characters (make sure you have male and female pictures for each character),

Give this man a gold star for solid thinking.

shootingwomprats wrote:

an opening crawl (so everyone knows the focus of the session), and a quick script (establishes the first scene, establishes basic roleplaying, and introductions to the characters).

I would do this or an "opening crawl" monologue to establish the setting.

And unless you tend toward heavy intrigue I don't think you need to much modify your adventures. Just make sure that you have some natural scene breaks so that they can turn into two and three parters to accommodate your short time frame.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's everyone's favorite fillable/savable PDF character sheet? I need to work up some pregens.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
What's everyone's favorite fillable/savable PDF character sheet? I need to work up some pregens.

I found a fillable sheet of the REUP character sheet, but it was flawed in that it didn't have fillable lines for the Mechanical and Technical attributes (see my post about that here). My friend Mr. Gone was kind enough to fix that for me, but I only have my GoogleDocs to download it from. I can provide copies and/or the link to my GoogleDocs upon request.
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd think the original "Rebel Breakout" adventure from 1st Ed. (Pg. 100) would probably last about 2 hours. I don't think it takes much to update it to 2nd R&E or REUP. If you're going to go old school D6 with those young folks, why not so super old school! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: