The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Lifting skill (stormtrooper strength)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Lifting skill (stormtrooper strength) Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Lifting skill (stormtrooper strength) Reply with quote

Hello fellow GMs,

It has always bothered me that Stormtroopers were 2D STR. I feel that that should be alittle stronger. However I don't want to rewrite everything..It dawned on me that tje.easiest thing would to give standard troopers lifting skill maybe only +2 just to represent that they are stronger than average human but still only rolling 2D STR plus armor for damage.

Thoughts?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds reasonable enough. Why do you think Stormtroopers should be stronger, though?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO its cause of wearing all that gear that they carry as is, they should have a lifting skill (or higher base str) to count for the "encumbrance" of it all..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifting skill Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
IMO its cause of wearing all that gear that they carry as is, they should have a lifting skill (or higher base str) to count for the "encumbrance" of it all..

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Hello fellow GMs,

It has always bothered me that Stormtroopers were 2D STR. I feel that that should be alittle stronger. However I don't want to rewrite everything..It dawned on me that tje.easiest thing would to give standard troopers lifting skill maybe only +2 just to represent that they are stronger than average human but still only rolling 2D STR plus armor for damage.

Thoughts?

I very much agree. Although they may not always be very good soldiers, they are still soldiers. They should get a small bonus to stamina too.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Sounds reasonable enough. Why do you think Stormtroopers should be stronger, though?

Its saying that they are trained and.2D is just human average. Im not saying rhese guys are super muscular.bit I feel they should be alittle.stronger than joe average.
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Lifting skill Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Ninja-Bear wrote:
Hello fellow GMs,

Thoughts?

I very much agree. Although they may not always be very good soldiers, they are still soldiers. They should get a small bonus to stamina too.

Good call on the stamina
Methedor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a simple +1 to ST? That way they are just a bit better without being a muscle builder and have them be "better than civilians" but not really PCs. The extra pip in soak is also not massively significant.

The idea of Lifting and Stamina skill "upping" is also a good alternative.

Have fun and good Gaming!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

Its saying that they are trained and.2D is just human average. Im not saying rhese guys are super muscular.bit I feel they should be alittle.stronger than joe average.

Exactly. If joe schmoe average couch potato has 2d str, then someone who spends a lot of their life training to be a trooper should have higher than that. Even if its only 2d+2...
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My orginal thought is that Stormtrooper armor is really a piece of junk. So to keep the same STR roll, Increase STR to 2D+2and reduce armor to +2 which gives you a 3D+1. Alsothought about just reducing armor to +1. So then it hit me to just give them lifting and then I don't have to adjust as much.
Whill

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninja-Bear wrote:
My orginal thought is that Stormtrooper armor is really a piece of junk. So to keep the same STR roll, Increase STR to 2D+2and reduce armor to +2 which gives you a 3D+1. Alsothought about just reducing armor to +1. So then it hit me to just give them lifting and then I don't have to adjust as much.

In the films, armor never seems to help much. It's not without precedent that the armor is junk. But you have to balance that with the question of why would the gigantic Empire supply the soldiers with junk. I think the game stated armor as +1D because it should be. I agree that upping their Strength attribute would also make their damage resistance even better, when stormtroopers in the films always seem to get incapacitated by a single blaster bolt.

Stormtroopers are already tougher in my game because I've made the average human have 2D+1 in every attribute instead of 2D. Since I don't feel stormtroopers should have below human strength, they have at least 2D+1 strength, and with the armor as in RAW that gives them 3D+1 to resist energy damage. To be more in line with the films I'm tempted to raise blaster damage, but that would make it more deadly for the PCs too. One thing I do with stormtrooper damage resistance wild die 1s is that I subtract the highest roll. I never do that to PCs.

I guess another possibility is to make the standard stormtrooper armor slightly junkier by a compromise between +1D and +2 ... +1D-1, which would have an average of 2.5, still slightly better than scout armor.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. However wouldn't that then mean all other armors need to be changed??
Whill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Interesting. However wouldn't that then mean all other armors need to be changed??

Not necessarily. To my knowledge there is no armor that provides +1D-1. It shifts the average from +3.5 to +2.5, and that is still a step above +2 (like scout trooper armor). We don't see a lot of scout troopers get blasted in Star Wars (they're only in one movie). If you want to make standard stormtrooper armor slightly junkier, then you can make them give +1D-1 for energy damage and leave all the other armor as is. Just throwing out the idea.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bt isn't trooper armor supposed to be BETTER protection than scout trooper? And space/sand/snow etc supposed to be a little better than Storm??
What of rad trooper with its whapping 3d bonus??
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Btw isn't trooper armor supposed to be BETTER protection than scout trooper? And space/sand/snow etc supposed to be a little better than Storm??
What of rad trooper with its whapping 3d bonus??

Gawds, I haven't ever looked at this before, but yeah, it does seem that the armor ratings between most of the different types are wildly inconsistent.

Like how the standard stormtrooper armor rating doesn't quite match up with sandtrooper armor even though their armor plating looks almost identical. Really, +2D physical for standard troopers but only +1D physical for sandtroopers for the same amount of armor? Does that colored sandtrooper epaulet lower your armor somehow? Shocked

Not to mention that storm commandos and radtroopers have an equivalent amount of armor plating and, judging by the pictures both of them seem to have more plating than scout troopers, but storm commandos got shafted at only +1D physical, scout troopers get +2D physical (for wearing half again the armor of a storm commando!) and radtroopers get +3D physical (3x what a storm commando gets for only 1/3 more armor plating!)

What the actual f*ck?!?!?
Ninja-Bear
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill as.to why the Empire would give crappy armor? To me its the same as to why the TIE has no shields. The Sith don't care. Vader had a whole ISD blown apart in the Hoth Astreroid field because he wanted one small ship. Also compare junk armor to Clone armor. The Republic cares for its clones at least enough to give it the best equipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: