The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Characters and Carrying capacity
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools -> Characters and Carrying capacity Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taylor
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Characters and Carrying capacity Reply with quote

At times characters are trying to carry too much weight. To my knowledge there is no limit to how many guns they can have - has any one found a good way to limit a pc walking around with an arsenal?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Characters and Carrying capacity Reply with quote

taylor wrote:
At times characters are trying to carry too much weight. To my knowledge there is no limit to how many guns they can have - has any one found a good way to limit a pc walking around with an arsenal?

Build a Dark Forces/Jedi Academy mod that restricts the player to just the lightsaber and the blaster pistol. I call it the "Kanan Jarrus Rule." Mr. Green

On a more serious note, isn't there some sort of Strength rule that limits your carrying capacity based on your Strength attribute? I can't remember if I saw that anywhere, either as official WEG rules or as a fanmade thing.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out rules of engagement, page 38.

Starwars is not ordinarily concerned with the concept of Encumbrance, but with Spec troopers entering the field with as much fire power as they can possibly get away with, it's good to have an idea of what a reasonable amount of equipmnt is. The following are two methods that can be used to determine what a character can or cannot carry in the field. Characters that attempt to carry too many items in the field are subject to the fatigue rules (specifically the effects of arduous terrain) on page 53.

The GM has final discretion on what a character can reasonably carry.

Method 1. The character can carry the items listed below with no enalty. They can carry one additional item, per Die of Strength (excluding pips). For example, a character with Str 3d+2, can carry 3 additional items.
Almost any character can be reasonably expected to wear or carry the following:
Fatigues
Boots
Partial armor (blast vest or other such minor combat armor)
helmet
main weapon
3 grenades
3 days rations
Roughly half a dozen other small items, such as power packs, a secondary weapon, power tools, comlinks.

Note: Troopers are also likely to carry a great deal more than this in the unit's vehicle, or on a pack animal. In addition, each trooper has a specific roll with in a squad; communications, heavy weapon, medic and so on. Specialized items such as a comm backpack, or infantry support weapons, should also be carried by the appropriate squad member with no penalty.

Method 2: A character can carry one medium sized item per pip of strength he has. Remember 1D of str equals 3 pips.
Medium sized items include
Backpack
e-web blaster power generator
explosives
directional automap/transponder
scanner
medical backpack
portable computer..
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For note, this subject has been touched on before in 4 other threads..

Equipment limits from back in 2014

Encumbrance and strength from back in 2008

Encumbrance rules from way back in 2003

and Weights from back in 2005..
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Characters and Carrying capacity Reply with quote

taylor wrote:

I like the Rules Of Engagement rules. If you wanted to, the Lifting skill rules on R&E p.58 can also be used to to determine how much someone can encumber himself and for how long.

However I hardly ever use that because I have no qualms about telling players, "That's too much." This is Star Wars. Most adventures do not have any wilderness exploration. I let players know up front I despise that materialistic 'dungeon explorer' mentality that makes them want to carry everything they might possibly need on any adventure just to the local cantina to make a deal. What does Han Solo carry on his person day-to-day? A blaster, some credits, and maybe a communicator. Maybe one person in the party carries a datapad. If they have a tendency to get into bar fights for simple contact meetings, then I can see one PC carrying a medpac. Most of the time, it just doesn't make sense for PCs to carry a bunch of stuff so I do question player choices without rules. But when certain equipment or weapons are needed for the plot of the adventure, sometimes the ship just happens to have stuff needed. I just don't like there to be an overemphasis on equipment.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Characters and Carrying capacity Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
taylor wrote:

I like the Rules Of Engagement rules. If you wanted to, the Lifting skill rules on R&E p.58 can also be used to to determine how much someone can encumber himself and for how long.

However I hardly ever use that because I have no qualms about telling players, "That's too much." This is Star Wars. Most adventures do not have any wilderness exploration. I let players know up front I despise that materialistic 'dungeon explorer' mentality that makes them want to carry everything they might possibly need on any adventure just to the local cantina to make a deal. What does Han Solo carry on his person day-to-day? A blaster, some credits, and maybe a communicator. Maybe one person in the party carries a datapad. If they have a tendency to get into bar fights for simple contact meetings, then I can see one PC carrying a medpac. Most of the time, it just doesn't make sense for PCs to carry a bunch of stuff so I do question player choices without rules. But when certain equipment or weapons are needed for the plot of the adventure, sometimes the ship just happens to have stuff needed. I just don't like there to be an overemphasis on equipment.

This reminds me a little bit of Team Haathi from the Special Ops stories in the Adventure Journals. (Yes, I know, I'm gushing about them again. But I'm going somewhere with this.) They were notorious for taking only what they needed for a mission and not being weighed down by anything that could hamper their mission. As their Standard Operating Procedure was the Indy Ploy, not being weighed down by anything was a necessity.

And yeah, I'm with Whill on both points: 1) I figure the Rules of Engagement rules are enough to settle the issue of encumbrance in terms of gameplay, and 2) the GM is well within his rights to decide that if there's a common item that the characters need at any point (like a datapad, for example), then there's no problem with the characters having easy access to it if that will help move the story along.
kalamaro
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if this subject is critical, you can convert strengh of you caracters in D20 system ans check wizard of the coast books for weight of any equipment...... Twisted Evil

Please, do not burn me not on the pyre for heresy Embarassed
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are rules in the RAW if you really want them, but what I do is ask characters to make an ongoing, dynamic list of what items they're carrying. If it starts to look like too much, I give them a -1D penalty to all DEX and STR skills until they unload one of the three blaster rifles they're carrying, for example.

Also, enforcing the -1D to DEX and related clause that comes with most armor is really important and usually inspires characters to be less greedy with their carryings.

So I guess my solution is "If it looks like too much, it probably is." Then I penalize them until they sell or drop something heavy, or an equivalent bunch of medium-to-small objects.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamentations of the Flame Princess has a rule (so I understand) that limits you to a number of items based on your strength... not weight or anything like that, simply items.

In d6, I'd be inclined to say you can carry a number of things beyond clothing, equal to your Lifting skill dice, without having to justify it. Have a 2d? Then you can have your blaster and a commlink. Have a 6D? Bowcaster, vibro-sword, commlink, hydro-spanner, explosives, and a twinkie.

Maybe lifting plus two... I think most everyone should be able to carry a weapon, a commlink, and something related to them.

But I wouldn't stress it too hard, unless people start getting crazy.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a fried twinky!
griff
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought using the physical description to tell what the character would normally carry with them on a day to day basis. And having to note if they wanted to take anything extra with them from their equipment list.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My characters had a 'slot' system, similar to type 1 that Gharkal posted from Rules of Engagement.

I was not too concerned with weight so much as bulk.

Since my players were Mandalorians, we established what each character's standard kit was. They had 13 'slots' and all types of gear accounted for a number of slots.

ie a pistol was 1 slot. A rifle was 3.

I had a list of types of pouches and what their internal volume was like to give an idea of how much loose stuff might be in them, ranging from a small belt pouch to a full rucksack. Generally the pouch itself was a number of slots, but could hold a slightly higher amount of gear.

ie a small pouch was 2 slots, but you could store 4 grenades in it, where each grenade would be 1 slot on its own if just carried clipped to your belt.

The understanding was that this was the stuff that was carried as a default.

Unless otherwise stated they had this stuff on their person at all times.

They could have other gear, but unless they specified that they were bringing it to the cantina...it was assumed to be left back on the ship.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen one dm (and one only so far) who actually went almost like some of the older DND cha sheets did, where your backpack had 7 or 8 line items for stuff, belts had 4 (and if one was a pouch, it expanded the # of line items you could list), and such so not only was everything wrote out to where it was/what it was in, but it also computed up your weight of gear you were carrying.. HE was an avid fan of encumbrance rules from DND, and felt all games should have had something like it..

Didn't last long as a dm though as most players got a little tired of his book keeping level..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
I've seen one dm (and one only so far) who actually went almost like some of the older DND cha sheets did, where your backpack had 7 or 8 line items for stuff, belts had 4 (and if one was a pouch, it expanded the # of line items you could list), and such so not only was everything wrote out to where it was/what it was in, but it also computed up your weight of gear you were carrying.. HE was an avid fan of encumbrance rules from DND, and felt all games should have had something like it..

Didn't last long as a dm though as most players got a little tired of his book keeping level..

Gawds, the only thing more dangerous to a campaign than a Rules Lawyer is an Accounting GM. Just deal with the bookkeeping only when necessary and get back to the story fer crissakes.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Characters and Carrying capacity Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
taylor wrote:

This.

Also, a method that might work is to require everyone to specify where on his person or pack each item is being carried. Total the weight and if necessary, impose a dex penalty similar to wearing armor (but without the benefits).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Tools All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: