The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

What types or brands of dice do you use?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea -> What types or brands of dice do you use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: What types or brands of dice do you use? Reply with quote

That's how we roll (2014)

I would like to start a new discussion about dice! Which ones do you use?

Me, I am a huge fan of the Chessex 12mm dice blocks. You get 36 dice in each of them, which is often enough for everyone. Also, most gaming stores also have a "random dice" box where you can score a few more 12mm dice of varying colors for Wild Dice for like 25 cents each. I prefer their 'Borealis' line because they're sparkly and it's easy to see the pips even from across a table.

But anyway, what dice do you use?
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a big fan of Chessex dice too. I never cared for dice that have a dot instead of a line denoting the 6s and 9s.

As for buying "random" colors, I can't do that because while there are particular colors I like, there are also particular colors I just can't stand looking at. Call me finicky.

I don't care for Borealis dice all that much. I prefer solid colors like Frosted Carribean Blue and Frosted Teal. Then again, I also like Velvet Black (which is more of a grey mixed with black highlights and red numbers). For my upcoming SWD6 group, I bought 5 D6s each of the above colors along with 5 D6s each of Translucent Red, Yellow and Green, along with 1 Opaque White and Black D6 to serve as the Wild Die. (31 6-siders should be more than enough for the campaign, especially if the other players bring their own dice.)

I can't wait to use them when we start gaming in 2 weeks!

Last edited by Sutehp on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a wide assortment, but most of the brands are Chessex, Gamescience, and Crystal Caste. I prefer the 16mm dice to the 12mm blocks. I bought one set from Q-Workshop. It's beautiful, with the ornate inscriptions on them, but they're a little hard to read.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly do most of my gaming online, these days, so my dice rolls are all silicon and sparks.

That said, I much prefer metal dice to plastic ones. They can run a pretty penny, but there's something about the heft and the solid clunk you get from rolling them onto the table.
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustflier wrote:
That said, I much prefer metal dice to plastic ones. They can run a pretty penny, but there's something about the heft and the solid clunk you get from rolling them onto the table.

Are these available in just like plain-jane stainless steel? Brushed steel would look ill.
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mix of Chessex and Wiz Dice, with my six-siders being a hodgepodge mix of sizes and colours, and kinda vary between numbers and pips.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What types or brands of dice do you use? Reply with quote

Error wrote:
I would like to start a new discussion about dice! Which ones do you use?

cheshire wrote:
I have a wide assortment, but most of the brands are Chessex, Gamescience, and Crystal Caste. I prefer the 16mm dice to the 12mm blocks.

For the rare cases that I play a game using polyhedral dice, I have a few sets, including a Gamescience translucent purple set and this Chessex Lathyrus Speckled set. (I still call all non-d6 dice "D&D dice".)

Sutehp wrote:
I prefer solid colors like Frosted Carribean Blue and Frosted Teal... I've always been a big fan of Chessex dice too. I never cared for dice that have a dot instead of a line denoting the 6s and 9s.

I never cared for d6s that have numerals instead of pips! For D6 games, my primary dice are a set of 12 Chessex 16mm frosted light blue w/ white pips (that color is no longer made as I understand).

In 1987 I took to heart what the RPG book said to do by cannibalizing all of our families game for dice. (Poor Yatzee.) I put them all in a metal tin for two decks of playing cards, and today it is full of an odd assortment of D6s of various sizes, colors and brands I have acquired over the years. I have a specific black die that I've used for Dark Side rolls since 1988 in there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Error
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scots Dragon wrote:
A mix of Chessex and Wiz Dice, with my six-siders being a hodgepodge mix of sizes and colours, and kinda vary between numbers and pips.

Welcome to the Pit.

Man, I don't know how you do all that...it would drive me crazy if they didn't all match at least in size...lol. And then a mix of pips AND numbers? You sir are a braver man than I.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm the same way. I have a crazy hodgepodge of dice but I don't mix them up in use.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Scots Dragon
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Man, I don't know how you do all that...it would drive me crazy if they didn't all match at least in size...lol. And then a mix of pips AND numbers? You sir are a braver man than I.

I do at least organise them into vague groupings when actually using them. Unfortunately local gaming in Lancashire is kind of dead, and there's basically nothing Star Wars related that isn't the X-Wing game from FFG, so I sadly don't actually get to use them all that often.
Dustflier
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Error wrote:
Are these available in just like plain-jane stainless steel? Brushed steel would look ill.

Yes sir. Some people report these as occasionally being unbalanced, but I own a set and haven't had that issue. Plus, they're cheap enough that getting one bad die in the set isn't too bad.

Try 'em out.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really cared myself. I have all the dice from both sets of Axis and Allies, Fortress america, and several dips in various "buckets o dice' at conventions filling my bags..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gawds, all these hodge-podge, mismatched dice you guys have...it sounds like as much of a logistical nightmare as trying to keep the Rebel fleet supplied in working order. Razz

See here for what I mean.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what brand dice mine are. I ended up finding a spot that sold black dice with white numbers and a skull & crossbones out of a huge bucket which turned into the large portion of my collection. I seem to recall buying 40 at the time, and I think I'm probably down to maybe 30 or so of the main blacks.

I've gotten multiple sets of proper gaming dice and appropriated the D6 from those for my wild die to use with the skull dice.

EDIT: Arrow Let's talk about Dice! (2018)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Miscellanea All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: