The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Damage to Droids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Damage to Droids Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: Damage to Droids Reply with quote

This is no doubt a very dumb question, but the campaign I have just started has a Droid PC for the first time. I can find the rules for regular characters taking damage, and starships taking damage, but can't dig up any rules for damage to droids in particular, and Droid PCs in even greater particular.

Anyone got a reference?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a full chart, or a page reference? I've played a PC droid a couple of times, and I found Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids to be a fantastic reference. Page 37 deals with damage and repair.

Droid PC damage is similar to human/organic PC damage, except the levels are:

Lightly Damaged
Heavily Damaged
Severely Damaged
Nearly Obliterated
Destroyed

Instead of healing it requires either a droid reapr or Droid engineering roll, and there is a cost of repair.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that page, list ionization damage vs droids?
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Do you want a full chart, or a page reference? I've played a PC droid a couple of times, and I found Cynabar's Fantastic Technology: Droids to be a fantastic reference. Page 37 deals with damage and repair.

Droid PC damage is similar to human/organic PC damage, except the levels are:

Lightly Damaged
Heavily Damaged
Severely Damaged
Nearly Obliterated
Destroyed

Instead of healing it requires either a droid reapr or Droid engineering roll, and there is a cost of repair.

Sweet thanks. Most of that is as one would assume but it's good to have something solid. I'm a little surprised they didn't put this stuff in the base rules (since they tell you all about making a droid PC) but v0v.

e: literally just damage levels but not the effects of being at those damage levels though. I can make this stuff up but I assume someone must have written rules similar to the starship damage rules somewhere, right?
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is strange that chart on page 33 only lists the repair costs, NOT what the effects are for those damage levels. But it shouldn't be hard to port over the flesh n blood damage levels..
Lightly damaged = stunned
heavily damaged = wounded
severely damaged = incap
nearly destroyed - mortal wound
obliterated = killed.
Giant Tourtiere
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have some spare time I'll whip up some charts similar to the starship damage ones. 'Mortally Wounded' status in particular seems to translate awkwardly to a droid.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I always ran it where if a droid was "stunned" it was ionized instead, basically having the same effects as a stun. Ionizations stack like stuns to cause a system shutdown, and the droid reboots instead of waking up from stun. Same mechanics, just different names for it. I have the droid sourcebook, so I will have to look that up.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giant Tourtiere wrote:

e: literally just damage levels but not the effects of being at those damage levels though. I can make this stuff up but I assume someone must have written rules similar to the starship damage rules somewhere, right?

Funny, it never listed the effects of those levels. Just what it costs to repair them. I would assume that things like "mortally wounded" effects don't apply to the "nearly obliterated," because I wouldn't think that a droid would become more damaged over time, moving from "nearly obliterated" to "destroyed" because you couldn't stabilize a condition.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point. A droid who's at mortally wounded (Almost obliderated) unlike a human can't be stabilized.. Or at least shouldn't be.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted, the other trade off is that there is no such thing as natural healing. If you let a droid have bed rest for two months, that locked servo ain't gettin' any better.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But that's taken care of with droid repair and the costs..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best equivalent in the RAW would be the Armor Damage rules, where armor that is Severely Damages is useless, but can be repaired. I'd argue that this is exactly what happened to Threepio on Cloud City: damaged to the point of nonfunctionality, but still able to be repaired back to normal.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's a good point. A droid who's at mortally wounded (Almost obliderated) unlike a human can't be stabilized.. Or at least shouldn't be.

I disagree.

A droid could suffer a short or surge as a secondary result of some attack causing it to be set on fire... its internal batteries or fluids could leak and begin contaminating other circuitry, etc. If not addressed quickly enough, the droid could go from nearly destroyed to completely destroyed. Of course, there is always the benefit of being able to be repaired almost regardless of the extent of the destruction. C3P0, for example, is perfectly fine despite being not only dismembered but also decapitated.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's worsening his condition. I was on about him getting 'stablized' so he WOULDN'T worsen.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That's worsening his condition. I was on about him getting 'stablized' so he WOULDN'T worsen.

Right.

But I think he means you can have a mechanical condition that if you don't take care of it pretty darn quick, you are going to have things go MUCH worse.

Ie a roll to prevent a catastrophic break down.

Makes me think of Terminator 2 when the T-800 gets that rod rammed through the torso by the T-1000.

He apparently 'dies' (Nearly obliterated and fading...)

But a little while later, his system manages to re-route itself to aux power and he comes back online.

To me this is self-stabilization. Alternatively another character with the know-how could have made a roll to assist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: