The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Tactics Skill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules -> Tactics Skill Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Sutehp wrote:
Wait, wait, wait, is a "battle wagon" actually a thing in Star Wars?

YOU CAN'T FLY THROUGH SPACE WITH WHEELS!!! Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked Evil or Very Mad Shocked

Yes, the Ewok Grand Army destroyed three star destroyers with Battle Wagons!

Ok, I know that Rock Beats Laser is a thing, especially in Star Wars, but that's just ridiculous.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Skill Reply with quote

WillTasker wrote:
This was a skill that was in First Ed, oddly dropped in 2nd and returned to in 2nd Ed, R&E.

Am I blind? I don't see a Tactics skill in the 1E core rulebook....

I see it in R&E, though. Where, typically, the GM should not coach or in any way interfere with the players' plans, I would use this skill as a way to allow some GM input to the player's plans.

If a Tactics roll is successful, I still wouldn't, as GM, tell the player exactly what he needs to know about a situation, but I would answer questions--but try to show different sides of an engagement, with maybe something the player didn't think of.

"If you head in from the North, there's the cliff face to think of. Maybe the Imperials have lookouts up there."

The lookouts may or may not be there--I'm just trying to help the player think tactically and point out possible trouble, whether the trouble is really there or not.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Skill Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
WillTasker wrote:
This was a skill that was in First Ed, oddly dropped in 2nd and returned to in 2nd Ed, R&E.

No, Tactics is not in the 1e core book...

Whill wrote:
It first appeared in the first adventure module, Tatooine Manhunt, in Adar Tallon's stats as a Mechanical skill and no explanation for using it (so it was effectively fluff at that point). Later they clarified it is a Knowledge skill...

Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
WillTasker
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Wait, wait, wait, is a "battle wagon" actually a thing in Star Wars?

Sounds a bit like the letters Tim Zahn got from people who said a corvette is just a car Wink
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Skill Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
WillTasker wrote:

No, Tactics is not in the 1e core book...

You know, I could have sworn "Battle Tactics" was a 1E Knowledge skill somewhere though. Don't quote me on that, but I will check where I suspect I may have seen such a thing....

Last edited by Telsij on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Skill Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:

You know, I could have sworn "Battle Tactics" was a 1E Knowledge skill somewhere though. Don't quote me on that, but I will check where I suspect it may have seen such a thing....

OK, found it -- I initially thought 1E Jan Dodonna had it, BUT it's actually 1E Carlist Rieekan that has "Battle Tactics 6D" in his entry for the 1E Empire Strikes Back Galaxy Guide (p.10). No explanation in any of the 1E rulebooks as far as I know, but it was at least in 1E as a wacky one-off skill entry for a movie character write-up.

EDIT: 1E Admiral Ackbar also has "Starship Tactics 7D" in the 1E RotJ Galaxy Guide.
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tactics Skill Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
It first appeared in the first adventure module, Tatooine Manhunt, in Adar Tallon's stats as a Mechanical skill and no explanation for using it (so it was effectively fluff at that point). Later they clarified it is a Knowledge skill...

And my fault, you already covered all that, Whill!
Bantha Poodoo on me for not being a thorough reader.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Official Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: