The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Arbitan's Updated Skill List
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters -> Arbitan's Updated Skill List
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbitan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Arbitan's Updated Skill List Reply with quote

Here is my attempt to streamline the D6 skill list to encompass some skills not in the core book, update some terminology, and just generally make the skill list more user friendly for newer players who don't have the history with the system that some of us do. I apologize if this is anyone's sacred cow, but my philosophy has always been that there are plenty of things to keep track of and a streamlined skill list helps keep things more cinematic. (I also got tired of answering newbie questions like why a blaster skill couldn't be applied to bowcaster. Yep, Han screwed that up for everyone in VII!)

This skill list has worked out pretty well in the two campaigns I've used it in. Let me know what you think! Condensed skills are listed in parenthesis after their bolded master skill. Feel free to borrow if you like it!

DEXTERITY
    Blaster [Archaic Guns, Blaster Artillery, Bowcaster, Bows, Firearms, Missile Weapons, Pulse-Wave Weapons], Dodge, Lightsaber, Melee Combat [Melee Parry], O-G Maneuver, Sleight of Hand [Pick Pockets], Thrown Weapons [Grenades]

KNOWLEDGE
    Business, Galactic Lore* [Alien Species, Bureaucracy, Cultures, Planetary Systems], Intimidation, Languages, Scholar** [Jedi Lore, Sith Lore, Ancient Technologies, Clone Vat Systems, etc.], Streetwise [Law Enforcement, Value], Survival, Willpower

MECHANICAL
    Beast Riding, Flight Systems [Astrogation, Communications, Sensors, Shields], Gunnery [Vehicle and Starship], Personal Equipment Operation [Powersuit Operation, Rocket Pack Operation], Starship Piloting [All space-faring vessels], Vehicle Operation [Ground Vehicle Operation, Hover Vehicle Operation, Repulsorlift, Swoop, Walker Operation].

PERCEPTION
    Command [Tactics], Deception [Con, Forgery], Gambling, Persuasion [Bargain], Search [Investigation], Sneak [Hide]

STRENGTH
    Athletics [Climb/Jump, Lift, Swim], Brawling [Brawling Parry], Stamina [Running]

TECHNICAL
    Computers [Computer Interface, Programming/Repair], Demolitions, First Aid [Advanced: Cyborging, Medicine], Lightsaber Repair, Personal Equipment Repair [Armor Repair, Blaster Repair, Bowcaster Repair, Droid Programming/Repair], Security, Starship Repair [All space-faring vessels], Vehicle Repair [Ground Vehicle Operation, Hover Vehicle Operation, Repulsorlift, Swoop, Walker Operation].

*Represents general knowledge, for more arcane lore, use the Scholar skill.

** Learning a Scholar skill always requires a teacher. Scholar represents knowledge in a highly specialized or obscure area. Ex: Scholar [Jedi Lore].

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my middle age I've moved in the direction of fewer combo-skills, but my skill list is still not as condensed as yours. Your list has some food for thought.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my big gripes with doing lots of skill combinations is it winds up being way to easy to be great at a lot of stuff.
Imagine someone who wanted to be an ace pilot, not just in fighters, but air speeders, freighters, cap ships and archaic ships.
He starts with 4d in mechanical (using the brash pilot template), puts 5 of his 7 starting dice, one into each skill.
Now an ace usually would be akin to 7 or 8d (we will just use the lower for example).
That would cost him 5+5+5+6+6+6 for 33cp for one skill, x5 skills or 165cp.

With them all combined into one skill, he's saving 132cp.. See what i am getting at?

Or worse, using your 'combined blaster skill (though why the hell are bows listed under it??) to do the same as a bounty hunter (4d dex pushing all skills to 7d) would take him normally 200+cp.. Yet here, again he's only having to spend 33cp...
Arbitan
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal I definitely see room for abuse, but honestly the players I'm rolling with are all pretty new so min-maxing isn't really a concern. Since the two games I ran with this skill list were only a few months in length, the PCs didn't get a chance to raise most skills more than one or two dice from the starting point. If the campaigns I ran were more long-term, or if I had an experienced player-base, I would definitely break some of these skills up to resemble their more traditional versions. My old group definitely drank deep from the well of skills and took great pleasure in the fact they could shoot a blaster and a pulse-wave rifle! But we were all cut from the same cloth back in those days.

I don't think anyone from my last few games even wanted to specialize! How do I reach these keeds?! 8)

Whill the gateway drug for me was brawling/melee combat & parry. I get it. But I always hated spending points on both!

Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate the feedback.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My list is not as condensed but more so than the official. However, I give out less character points as a result. Although I have not had anyone play a force sensitive in a really long time, I imagine it would make force skills take longer to improve. That could be a good thing.
When I read the 0-G manuver skill my brain read it as OG Manuver and "Straight Outta Compton" began playing in my head.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arbitan wrote:
garhkal I definitely see room for abuse, but honestly the players I'm rolling with are all pretty new so min-maxing isn't really a concern. Since the two games I ran with this skill list were only a few months in length, the PCs didn't get a chance to raise most skills more than one or two dice from the starting point. If the campaigns I ran were more long-term, or if I had an experienced player-base, I would definitely break some of these skills up to resemble their more traditional versions. My old group definitely drank deep from the well of skills and took great pleasure in the fact they could shoot a blaster and a pulse-wave rifle! But we were all cut from the same cloth back in those days.

Fare enough. Though that still doesn't answer the question of why some of those skills were combined.. Archaic weapons (blunderbuses) have nothing in common with blasters, neither does blaster artillery or bows).

OR why astrogation and shields comes under "Flight systems", nor why all vehicle ops (or repairs) are under one skill. A walker being maneuvered is a hell of a lot different than a repulsorlift vehicle, same with hovers, and it's definitely in no way related to a swoop or airspeeder like vehicle.

Or why droid repair comes under the heading "Personal equipment repair". Now i can understand somewhat why blaster/armor repair is combined there, but droids??

That said i do like how you combined value and streetwise into one, same with galactic lore combining, planetary systems/alien species and cultures, though i think bureaucracy would be liked more to business/law enforcement than 'galactic lore'.
bobenhotep
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dropped brawling parry and Melee parry as well. I also completely removed the Blaster Artillery and Vehicle blasters skills and added a mechanical skill called "Vehicle Gunnery" which covers Speeder and Walker scale weapons. Artillery is fired with the scale appropriate gunnery skill. I did some other ones, but those were the main ones.

The Chijawa said so, that's why.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Gamemasters All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: