The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Growf, Wookie Gladiator
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Growf, Wookie Gladiator Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Growf, Wookie Gladiator Reply with quote

So, a discussion on Dragonsfoot had me whip up Growf, a Wookie Gladiator and damn beast. I really want to play him, now.

"Growf", Wookie Gladiator
Dexterity 2D+1
*Melee Parry: Club: 3D+1
Knowledge 3D
*Intimidation: Bullying 4D
*Willpower: 4D
*Language 5D (fluent in Wookie; knows Huttese, Basic, and Gamorrean fairly well)
Mechanical 2D
Perception 2D+1
*Hide 3D+1
Strength 6D
*Brawling 8D
**Brawling: Wookie Kung Fu 9D
Technical 2D

Special Abilities: Berserker Rage, NO Climbing Claws, +2 on Brawling damage

Equipment:
Tonfa Club (STR+1D), Wrist cuffs (+1D Physical Damage resistance when using Brawling parry against Melee Weapons)

Background:
Growf was born a slave on some Hutt world, raised into gladitorial combat. The Hutts had him declawed after a particularly gruesome berserker rage cost them several prized slaves and valuable employees, but his reconstructed fists serve as Combat Gloves. Trained in a rough form of Wookie Kung Fu (with the inclusion of a club, not for damage, but to allow "safer" parries... when he bothers with parries), his great strength and intimidating demeanor made him a favorite with the crowd. Such a favorite that, when certain unscrupulous rogues escaped the Hutt's clutches, they decided to take along their favorite gladiator. But taking a gladiator and keeping one are not the same thing, and Growf set out across the galaxy, alone, soon thereafter.

Personality: Growf has never learned self-control. Raised a slave, he knows next to nothing about Wookie Culture... not even the prohibition against Madclaws. He frequently hires out as an enforcer, and is largely unfamiliar with softer emotions... with some genuine kindness, the famous Wookie loyalty and honor might come bubbling to the surface. Surprising to many people is his flair for languages; while he can't speak many of the common languages of the galaxy, he learns to understand them quickly.

(Notes: Growf is a BEAST and, aside from switching out his climbing claws with Combat Gloves, straight by the book. However, if he goes berserk, he's going to hit with the force somewhat akin to an infantry support weapon... the E-Web repeating blaster. His Wookie Kung Fu skill is high enough that he can usually take on three or four people at once, and his strength is such that even stunning him will be difficult without heavy weaponry)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then hit him with weapons such as sonic ones, that are soaked with PERCEPTION.. A lot easier to take him down....
Telsij
Captain
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Growf, Wookie Gladiator Reply with quote

I dig it. Hope to hear how poor declawed Growf fares in action!

MrNexx wrote:
...Brawling: Wookie Kung Fu 9D
...Trained in a rough form of Wookie Kung Fu (with the inclusion of a club, not for damage, but to allow "safer" parries... when he bothers with parries)...

And here I was about to ask what "Wookiee Kung Fu" was!
So he'd be able to use his kung fu die code for melee, and it's largely defensive and/or weapon-based?

Maybe an off-shoot / sub-school of: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wrruushi ?
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Growf, Wookie Gladiator Reply with quote

Telsij wrote:
I dig it. Hope to hear how poor declawed Growf fares in action!

MrNexx wrote:
...Brawling: Wookie Kung Fu 9D
...Trained in a rough form of Wookie Kung Fu (with the inclusion of a club, not for damage, but to allow "safer" parries... when he bothers with parries)...

And here I was about to ask what "Wookiee Kung Fu" was!
So he'd be able to use his kung fu die code for melee, and it's largely defensive and/or weapon-based?

Maybe an off-shoot / sub-school of: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wrruushi ?

Wookie Kung Fu exists because I don't know about Wrruushi. Wink

I pictured it more as a practioner using a tonfa-style club in their off hand as a parrying device, but largely relying on their great strength for strikes and throws.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Then hit him with weapons such as sonic ones, that are soaked with PERCEPTION.. A lot easier to take him down....

Where are the rules for that? D6 Holocron doesn't mention anything about Sonic Weapons being resisted with Perception... and it seems odd that a keen sense of hearing would defend against a weapon based on sound.
Naaman
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

Where are the rules for that? D6 Holocron doesn't mention anything about Sonic Weapons being resisted with Perception... and it seems odd that a keen sense of hearing would defend against a weapon based on sound.

We've hashed this out before. It basically comes down to the GM's interpretation of what "Perception" represents in game terms and whether a "high" perception is more (or less) susceptible to loud noises.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naaman wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

We've hashed this out before. It basically comes down to the GM's interpretation of what "Perception" represents in game terms and whether a "high" perception is more (or less) susceptible to loud noises.

I know we have. I'm just hoping Garkh has a cite this time.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I've not been able to track down any weapons that target the perception in order to resist damage, I'm pretty sure there are a wide range of Force powers that require either a Sense or Perception roll to resist.

Perhaps that's what we're thinking of?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sonic weapon write ups I've seen all do Stun damage with no indication that perception rather than Strength is used to resist.
Quote:
Sonic Weapons
75. Geonosian Sonic Staff
75. Sonic Blaster
75. Sonic Carbine
76. Sonic Pistol
76. Sonic Rifle
76. Sil-50 Sonic Pistol
76. Sonic Blaster

The closest example I can find is the Credit Case Surprise, but even here the damage still targets Strength/Stamina if the Perception roll is failed.

Credit Case Surprise
Model: Synnt-ovations, Inc. Credit Case Surprise
Type: Personal defense flash item
Cost: 75
Availability: 2
Range: 0-3/6/9/12
Damage: 5D/3D/2D/1D stun damage (rolled against Strength or stamina)
Game Notes: Easy Technical roll to build or repair. Anyone in a 60-degree arc in front
of the light and within range must make a Moderate Perception roll not to be affected
by the unit (they closed their eyes or looked away in time).
Source: Galladinium’s Fantastic Technology (page 75)
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Naaman wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
garhkal wrote:

I know we have. I'm just hoping Garkh has a cite this time.

Nothing Official (as in any actual WEG product) that i know of..
Which brings us back to the whole "Bullet proof wookie" issue.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes a lot of force powers DO use perception to resist, but many of those that DO, have those pesky "Relationship" modifiers, and this guy being a wookie, would get an instant +30 (ALIEN), added to his Per roll to resist.. unless the force user had encountered this pc before, OR was a wookie himself..
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A physically apt Dark Jedi can just use enhance attribute on his strength to become stronger than the Wookiee and beat him into a pulp.

Telekinetic Kill doesn't have relationship modifiers, which is resisted by Control or Perception.

Lastly, you have combined actions of regular troops which would cut that Wookiee down in a couple of rounds.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, there's a ton of ways to kill Growf. But I'm just saying that the Man in Black would have a bit of trouble against this particular Fezzik.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
A physically apt Dark Jedi can just use enhance attribute on his strength to become stronger than the Wookiee and beat him into a pulp.

Telekinetic Kill doesn't have relationship modifiers, which is resisted by Control or Perception.

Lastly, you have combined actions of regular troops which would cut that Wookiee down in a couple of rounds.

And using those tactics on anyone else in the group the wookie is part of, is a sure fire way to decimate them..
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for the reason mentioned above, if one of my players wanted to play this character, I would dissuade them from doing so. This might be fun for one person, but if it too badly disrupts the game balance, it can detract from other players' fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: