The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Jar Jar Appreciation Thread (no joke)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Jar Jar Appreciation Thread (no joke) Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Kytross wrote:
...Brilliant!

I think the story is poorly told.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Agreed. Great plot. Terrible presentation of the plot.

I'll agree with more of the criticisms of AotC, my least favorite of the now eight SW films. I only have a few issues with RotS. But I can't just make categorical statements about the prequels as a set because they are all very different to me. Of these three films, I rank them best to worst as I, III, II.

Kytross wrote:
We are never explicitly shown or told that Palpatine is maneuvering around the Jedi Danger Sense. A quick monologue from Palpatine in EP3 would have cleared a lot of things up for the audience.

I was never aware of any audience confusion. After the reveal that Palpatine was the Sith Master in RotS, even the casual viewers I know got it.

In The Phantom Menace screenplay, George Lucas wrote:
OBI-WAN : I have a bad feeling about this.
QUI-GON : I don't sense anything.
OBI-WAN : It's not about the mission, Master. It's something elsewhere... elusive.
MACE WINDU : A Sith Lord?!?
KI-ADI : Impossible! The Sith have been extinct for a millennium.
MACE WINDU : I do not believe they could have returned without us knowing.
YODA : Hard to see, the dark side is.

In the Revenge of the Sith screenplay, George Lucas wrote:
ANAKIN: I've just learned a terrible truth. I think Chancellor Palpatine is a Sith Lord.
MACE WINDU: A Sith Lord?!?

Darth Sidious is the "phantom" menace. I don't get why anyone would need Palpatine to say he was evading the Jedi ability to sense that he was a dark side Force user. He sat in the same room with Jedi and had conversations with them without them knowing. We see this lack of detection throughout the prequels. Palpatine obviously can hide his Sithness from the Jedi because he did.

Yoda said the Dark Side can be hard to see. Obi-Wan said there was something out there, elusive. Sidious was revealed to be a phantom that can hide in plain sight. We see Jedi not detecting Sidious in three movies. What more do you need? Jeesh.

+1. Sometimes it's better to show and not tell.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jar Jar Appreciation Thread (no joke) Reply with quote

For Christmas my wife got me several Star Wars-themed Tarot cards that were personally made by an artist. Of course, Jar Jar is The Fool.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CommanderFocs
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Jar Jar Appreciation Reply with quote

Jar Jar Binks is an amazing character and he doesn't deserve all the hate.

Does he provide excitement and action every time he appears on screen? No, but not every character in Star Wars has to. In the immortal words of Thanos, "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be." I have personally always found a sense of charm and goofiness in Jar Jar that (for me at least) provided a fun way for fans to bond with a beloved franchise.

So whether he's a Sith lord or not (he totally is), Jar Jar deserves more respect and appreciation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: