The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Star Wars D6 or FFG Star Wars
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games -> Star Wars D6 or FFG Star Wars Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toran Ironfinder
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEG all the way. I've not done FFEG, but I did a lot with D20. My two or three pages of house rules for D6 expanded to 40 or 50 for that system. The more complex the system, the more difficult it is to fix the inevitable bugs.

There are options you can find for dealing with these issues in D6 if you have a mind, you can use a default system such as what was used in classic shadow run, or you could borrow something from D6 space, which is free.

The one big con will be that there are no official materials for clone war era materials, but there are conversions from D20 out there, and there is the D6 Holocron.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toran Ironfinder wrote:
WEG all the way. I've not done FFEG, but I did a lot with D20. My two or three pages of house rules for D6 expanded to 40 or 50 for that system. The more complex the system, the more difficult it is to fix the inevitable bugs.

There are options you can find for dealing with these issues in D6 if you have a mind, you can use a default system such as what was used in classic shadow run, or you could borrow something from D6 space, which is free.

The one big con will be that there are no official materials for clone war era materials, but there are conversions from D20 out there, and there is the D6 Holocron.

Gawds bless the D6 Holocron. Some of the fan stuff may be drek as it looks like it was written by fifth graders, but some of it is pretty good stuff. I can't complain about the D20-D6 conversions, though they're not entirely without flaw.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:

Gawds bless the D6 Holocron. Some of the fan stuff may be drek as it looks like it was written by fifth graders, but some of it is pretty good stuff. I can't complain about the D20-D6 conversions, though they're not entirely without flaw.

Agreed. I was even part of the conversion team, and there are a few stats that I'd tweak before putting them in my own game. But, at least they're there to tweak. Smile
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

Agreed. I was even part of the conversion team, and there are a few stats that I'd tweak before putting them in my own game. But, at least they're there to tweak. Smile

One error I've noticed is the length of the Tartan Patrol Cruiser on page 244 of the Starships Revised and Expanded conversion book. The stats say they're 600 meters long but when you play Empire at War, you clearly see that they're barely any longer than their Rebel equivalents, the Corellian Corvettes. According to EaW stats and scales, the Tartans are only 200 meters long. Apparently, someone thought that since the word "cruiser" was in the title, the Tartans were supposed to be the same length as Interdictor cruisers. It's little things like that which annoy me.

But you're quite right, cheshire, at least we have the stats to tweak. Mr. Green
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alastor04 wrote:
I've looked over the books some more and I have two more questions:
1) Is Shields really a reaction skill? it seemed to me they did it before combat?

IT's done as a reaction skill, so someone can (if they wish) redirect the ship's shields from one arc, to another and back again depending on where fire's coming from, or so they can split it up to cover more than one arc

Alastor04 wrote:
2) Do you enforce the +1 pip improvement between adventures limit?

Yes. And since they should be only earning 3-6CP in an adventure, if they are spending them in game, they wouldn't be advancing many skills, if any at all..

Bren wrote:
Solo4114 wrote:
The philosophy described in the 1e books for WEG's game is different. It's supposed to be a more cinematic adventure on a grand scale. As such, the PCs -- heroes -- aren't really supposed to die, unless it's in an appropriately cinematic way.
I agree with what you said prior, but I disagree with this last bit. Characters die in 2E if they take 16+ points of damage over their Strength roll to resist. This can easily happen if the PCs don't have a lot of Character Points, if they roll really poorly, or if they are hit for massive damage either through the GM rolling especially well or by taking damage from something like a thermodetonator. Or I should say that this happens, unless the GM fudges die rolls for the adversaries to keep the PCs alive. Occasionally fudging die rolls is, as I read it, within the GM advice in the rules, but it isn't mandatory. And some GMs don't do that. So PCs can certainly die an uncinematic death in WEG Star Wars.

Very true. Having a bad dice day can cause even wookie PC's to die in combats with mooks.. And yes while the book says a dm CAN periodically fudge, its also not a "you should do it just to prevent someone dying in a non-cinematic" commandment.. Which some players over the years, seem to think it is..
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with either D6 or... FFG's Imperial Assault. To me, the D20 is kinda "neither fish nor flesh nor good red herring".

Imperial Assault now has an app out so that an ipad or something can fill the role of GM for up to 4 players. That's huge in my book. Also worth noting, for $100, the Imperial Assault game is about the best deal in maps and minis you can get right now for use in the D6 game. You get a bunch of desert/forest/indoor maps. Also a lot of Imperial minis, a few bounty hunters, 6 suitable rebel PC figures, and some extra minis in the form of cardboard tokens with portraits on them to represent rebel soldiers, a wardroid, and some other stuff. D6 Star Wars is a great system, any version of it. I would go with that and if you decide you want proper minis to paint yourself and run use to run combat encounters, or no one wants to GM, pickup Imperial Assault. Due to scale creep, a lot of the old D20 WOTC minis are the right size to hang around the Imperial Assault guys. So IA to start, and picking up carefully esearched WOTC minis to represent needed PC's, recurring NPC's and the like is also a good idea. Although if I wanted large numbers of say, extra bounty hunters, the Imperial Assault boxed expansions are also a great dollar value for extra minis, maps, and cardboard hero tokens.

Then again if you shop around ebay, you may find a cheap lot of D20 minis that will meet all your RPG needs!
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:

Very true. Having a bad dice day can cause even wookie PC's to die in combats with mooks.. And yes while the book says a dm CAN periodically fudge, its also not a "you should do it just to prevent someone dying in a non-cinematic" commandment.. Which some players over the years, seem to think it is..

No, a bad dice roll can make a PC wookie become incapacitated. It's up to the GM to interpret that however they want. They could be awake and unable to move due to multiple limb injuries, unconscious, dead, captured, paralyzed, hallucinating...
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TauntaunScout wrote:
Also worth noting, for $100, the Imperial Assault game is about the best deal in maps and minis you can get right now for use in the D6 game. You get a bunch of desert/forest/indoor maps. Also a lot of Imperial minis, a few bounty hunters, 6 suitable rebel PC figures, and some extra minis in the form of cardboard tokens with portraits on them to represent rebel soldiers, a wardroid, and some other stuff...

...Due to scale creep, a lot of the old D20 WOTC minis are the right size to hang around the Imperial Assault guys.
I'd like to know if it would be useful to supplement my existing collection of SF minis. What scale are the minis from WotC and from Imperial Assault?
TauntaunScout
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
TauntaunScout wrote:
Also worth noting, for $100, the Imperial Assault game is about the best deal in maps and minis you can get right now for use in the D6 game. You get a bunch of desert/forest/indoor maps. Also a lot of Imperial minis, a few bounty hunters, 6 suitable rebel PC figures, and some extra minis in the form of cardboard tokens with portraits on them to represent rebel soldiers, a wardroid, and some other stuff...

...Due to scale creep, a lot of the old D20 WOTC minis are the right size to hang around the Imperial Assault guys.
I'd like to know if it would be useful to supplement my existing collection of SF minis. What scale are the minis from WotC and from Imperial Assault?

I'll try and take some comparison pictures for you. I have no idea what the IA ones officially are and "official" has little bearing on reality. What other SF minis do you own? If I have any of them I'll use those in a comparison shot.

WOTC ones were plagued with scale issues. In the first wave for example, some, like the rebel pilot and tusken raider, wee so big as to appear to be for a different game. It wasn't a huge issue on the table top until they got into melee than it looked.... off.... Those bigger WOTC ones fit right in with IA though. Also, non-human sized aliens have a lot more leeway. In our animal-brain, we instinctively know when a faux person looks "wrong". Not so a faux ewok, jawa, or wookie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Star Wars Games All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: