The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Hurricane Harvey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info -> Hurricane Harvey Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

For those wondering, my family and I are fine. Brother-in-law got a s*** of water, but his apartment is on the second floor, so he's mostly bored and arguing on the phone about Firefly with my wife.
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that you're safe.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
For those wondering, my family and I are fine. Brother-in-law got a s*** of water, but his apartment is on the second floor, so he's mostly bored and arguing on the phone about Firefly with my wife.

Glad to hear! Your profile location is blank, and if you had mentioned where you lived I had forgotten.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

...What is there to argue about for Firefly? Question

Oh, and I'm glad to hear that you and yours are safe. How much water got dropped by Harvey? 8 trillion tons of water or something? And was that just Houston? Shocked
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
How much water got dropped by Harvey? 8 trillion tons of water or something? And was that just Houston? Shocked

10 Trillion according to fox yesterday. And for an example of what that looks like. A standard olympic size swimming pool generally contains 660,430gallons... So you would need 16000000 olympic swimming pools!!!!
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm OK, too. Man, that was one scary night. I live in one of the hardest hit areas. My garage is converted into a den. I pulled the cars up to the house as close as I could get them.

Man, it was close. There's about a three inch drop from my front door to the cement. That's what saved us. If you stepped out of the house, the water was to your shin.

One more inch would have done it for us. I wouldn't be writing this now but messing around in some evacuation center or tearing up my carpet and sheetrock. One more inch would have put it in the vehicles too. I have a low too the ground convertible.

I have an elderly father who cannot walk well, and I have a dog (and I'm one of those people who wouldn't leave his dog--I'd refuse to evacuate without him). So, I don't know what I would have done if that extra inch had made it up into the house.

All around me was chaos that next day. A house, three houses down burned, but the fire department couldn't get to it. A family behind me was in their attic because the water was up several feet in their house. A helicopter came and lifted them out. Man, it was a sight.

Coast Guard relief workers were evacuating people in these high-water vehicles.

It was an experience that I never want to go through again.

But, God answered my prayers. I'm OK, and so is my family. No water in the house. Vehicles are dry. I haven't had access to TV or the Net for the last week, and it just came on today. Power never went out.

I'm blessed.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it..
Kytross
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're all okay
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of pets in the flood, I was just reading an article about that in the Washington Post and how the relief efforts during Katrina didn't take pets into account back in 2005. Alot of people then and now refused to evacuate without their pets. I can sympathize; if my sister's cat was still alive today and if we got caught in a flood and told that we couldn't evacuate with Tybalt, both my sister and I would have refused to leave without him. That little guy was family, and we don't leave family behind.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little update about Houston...

There are two reservoirs where the engineers have been slowing releasing water in order to keep the reservoirs from overflowing. The release is flooding a large part of central Houston. But, as I understand it, if the engineers allowed the reservoirs to overflow, many more homes would be flooded. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, Spock would say.

Mayor Turner has declared a Mandatory Evacuation for the area, but the people living in the upper floors of apartments and such still have power, still have TV. An overwhelming number of them have refused the Evac Order and have decided to wait it out in their homes. I get it. It sucks to have to evacuate.

With the engineers releasing the water, it is expected that the entire area will remain flooded for another two weeks! Damn! And, the Mayor has said it is too dangerous to be in the area. So, to get the people out, he's turning off their power tomorrow.

To the east is the small town of Crosby that butts up against Houston. There is a chemical plant that has been burning since yesterday, and first responders have been sent to the hospital because of the toxic fumes. There have been reports of tractor-trailers, filled with chemicals, on the premises blowing up like bombs, but I believe now that's not quite true. Containers have been popping due to the heat.

Now, the area around the plant has been evacuated, and firefighters seem to be allowing the fire to burn itself out. It too dangerous to put people closer to it. The big fear is that the fire will trigger massive explosions and spread the disaster.

President Trump made his second visit to Texas today, and Obama has been here as well.

And, that's Wajeb Deb, reporting from Houston.

Back to you, Bill.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Speaking of pets in the flood, I was just reading an article about that in the Washington Post and how the relief efforts during Katrina didn't take pets into account back in 2005. Alot of people then and now refused to evacuate without their pets. I can sympathize; if my sister's cat was still alive today and if we got caught in a flood and told that we couldn't evacuate with Tybalt, both my sister and I would have refused to leave without him. That little guy was family, and we don't leave family behind.

I've never understood how people can feel that way.. Like some people who feel their dog/cat ARE Their kids..
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Sutehp wrote:

I've never understood how people can feel that way.. Like some people who feel their dog/cat ARE Their kids..

I know that my dog isn't my kid. If it came down to it, I'd obviously save my kid--or even your kid--over my dog.

But Sutehp is correct. My dog is family. I love the hell out of that old boy.
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

Update on my dad. He lived in Rockport, Texas and his home was totally destroyed. He had safely evacuated with one suitcase when he was told to. Right now he is staying with his sister in San Antonio. Thankfully he did have insurance. He has decided that he is moving back to Kentucky and sent things in motion towards that.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Whill! I'm glad your dad is safe. And, I'm glad he'll be OK financially with the insurance.

A lot of people have been hurt by this thing.

I stopped by a fast food joint today and some some workers. We started talking as I waited for my food. They work for the electric company. They were in the north-central part of Houston today, where the flooding is still very high (15 feet on the freeway!)--what I spoke about above. And they saw a body in a home. They reported it, and they said that the thing had blown up so big in death that they couldn't get it out the door--they had to cut the door frame.

Man...Harvey was just awful.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hurricane Harvey Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Update on my dad. He lived in Rockport, Texas and his home was totally destroyed. He had safely evacuated with one suitcase when he was told to. Right now he is staying with his sister in San Antonio. Thankfully he did have insurance. He has decided that he is moving back to Kentucky and sent things in motion towards that.

Man, I saw "Rockport" and feared the worst, 'cause that's just been horrible to see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> The Rancor Pit Users/Forums Info All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: