The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Any suggestions on salvaging rights?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Any suggestions on salvaging rights? Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following up on crmcneill's comment here:
http://www.rancorpit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=134056#134056

crmcneill wrote:
cheshire wrote:
I've still got a 20 page supplement on salvage in Star Wars sitting on my hard drive. I'm waiting for the right occasion to publish it. It still needs a few things, but IMO this is one of the big under-explored region of Star Wars.

What do you need to complete it?

It doesn't need too terribly much. Currently it's actually around 25 pages 8pt font. It will change when it comes into its publication form later. It's got a bit on salvaging in the galaxy, covering rules and regulations under the "Galactic Government" (read as "Empire"), another section on tools of the trade (including personal and starship equipment), another on droids, and a section of ships. So far there are nine adventure hooks, though I'm always open to adding more of those.

The first thing I really need an appropriate venue. Usually I have some things in with the D6 Magazine. I originally created this particular article for another D6 publication that never got off the ground, and I had to make sure I was in the clear to use it somewhere else. By that point I'd already been underway with another Star Wars adventure for the D6 Mag. Of course, I couldn't call it "Star Wars," but it doesn't take much to see that's what it is. (That tramp freighter adventure got chapter one published in Issue 5, and the conclusion will be published in the soon-to-be-released Issue 6).

After getting the venue? Oh, probably just some proof reading, some minor revisions, some minor expansion of one or two areas, and perhaps a few more ships. Then I'll probably talk to an artist and see what sort of monetary persuasion it would take to make things look professional.

It's actually a good thing to have on the back burner because I'm going to be doing quite a bit more professional writing between now and Thanksgiving. If the opportunity presents itself to publish the fun stuff on the side when the major legwork has been done, then it's a very good thing. When it's finally ready to be released (possibly within the next 6-12 months), I will definitely post a notice that it's out.

If I wanted to do this REALLY right, I'd add in another 10,000-20,000 word adventure set with it and just run it as its own galaxy guide. Then I could change everything back to Star Wars IP names and just run with it. However after just having written a longish adventure series I can attest to how much of a stretch it was. I would only attempt that once I had a lot more free time and was sure I could work with the art and layout talent of my choosing. I know who my top choices are for art and layout, but I also know how busy both of those guys are. So, the stars would really have to align for this to become a galaxy guide.

So, right now the project isn't so much "on hold" as it is poised to strike when the moment is right.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to proof read it for you. I'm not an English major, but I am a little obsessive about spelling and grammar.
Darth_Hilarious
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Good point on the HBFPA.. But i would love to know when that came into being.

I remember reading a book that mentioned the HBFPA but iI think in the book that I read it referred to sites like the Graveyard of Alderaan.
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had entirely forgotten about that adventure when I was doing the main writing. Surprisingly the Scouts book served as a pretty good inspiration, as it got into the nitty gritty of scouting life. But I'll have to take a good look at Graveyard of Alderaan. I've even got Classic Adventures Vol. II right here on the shelf.
DougRed4
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, who are the artists you'd (ideally) like to use?

[That is, if you're able to share that info; np if you can't or don't want to]
cheshire

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would probably be imprudent to say so before formally asking. And since it's the finished product is a bit in the future, it probably isn't the time to start formally asking, especially without knowing exactly what kind of funds I'd need on hand at the time.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
It would probably be imprudent to say so before formally asking. And since it's the finished product is a bit in the future, it probably isn't the time to start formally asking, especially without knowing exactly what kind of funds I'd need on hand at the time.

I'm not much of an artist, but if you'd like some editing assistance, I'd love to take a look at the product.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
cheshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe I started this five years ago.

Even if it isn't as much as I'd like it to be, a 34 page handbook is better than it languishing on my hard drive any longer.

The Scavenger's Handbook: A Guide to Salvage in the Galaxy
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7qsYJkKWWN5bjlFaGpoaWJ0QnM
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I'm really looking forward to reading this.
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.22 gig of data??
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, it's 122 MB.

It looks amazing Chesh, really pro looking! Reminds me a lot of the Tramp Freighters Guide.
cheshire

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

122 MB is pretty big for what it is. I had some issues with data compression. When I tried to compress it, the text looked a bit messy. But if you want to try the 33 MB version, give this link a shot.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7qsYJkKWWN5VkpNRDJmbjFIWGc

And yes, I took a lot of inspiration from Tramp Freighters and Scouts when drafting the content.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I continue to be amazed at the high quality in format and content of the material you fans produce. Kudos!
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looked awesome..
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got the compressed version myself. I'd relish the opportunity to edit it if Cheshire would have me, but I've already got too much on my plate to do it anytime soon. But, I suppose I could make time if Cheshire is willing. In any case, it very much looks like a professional WEG product, so kudos to you, Cheshire! 8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: