The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Blind Hyperspace Jumps
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules -> Blind Hyperspace Jumps Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Grand Moff
Grand Moff

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
Enforcers nothing. Send for the Inquisitorius!

...He'll never expect them.

But only if they're Spanish.

Wink
MrNexx
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Bren wrote:
Enforcers nothing. Send for the Inquisitorius!

...He'll never expect them.

But only if they're Spanish.

Wink

Inquisitors of Spa'an
Dexterity 3D; Melee Combat, Melee Parry, Grenade, Dodge 5D
Knowledge 2D; Intimidation 8D, Willpower 6D
Mechanical 2D
Perception 2D; Sneak 6D
Strength 2D; Brawling: Grapple 4D
Technical 3D

"Amongst our weapons are Fear, Surprise, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope!"

Equipment: Armored Robes (+1D Physical, +1 Energy), Vibro-Crosiers (Str+1D), Holy Hand Grenade (as fragmentation grenade)
Volar the Healer
Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have them reappear into real space where my next adventure begins, or maybe at a bizarre adventure I want to run in a place where they've no reason to go - badly damaged - their hyperdrive needing repair among other things, until they complete the adventure. (ship is being repaired, parts need to be shipped in, whatever).
Bren
High Admiral
High Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volar the Healer wrote:
I have them reappear into real space where my next adventure begins, or maybe at a bizarre adventure I want to run in a place where they've no reason to go - badly damaged - their hyperdrive needing repair among other things, until they complete the adventure. (ship is being repaired, parts need to be shipped in, whatever).

Nice Cool
Argentsaber
Cadet
Cadet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
The more I think about this, I think there need to be separate rules for blind jumps. Pretty much all the penalties and mishaps for normal jumps are the result of failed calculations where the ship goes off course. But in the case of an emergency blind jump, there are no calculations to screw up. I'm thinking a completely separate result chart, drawing from the Astrogation Mishap Table:
    -On most ships, the hyperdrive cut-out cannot be disabled without an Easy Repair Roll and 15 minutes. However, some ships (smuggling vessels and special missions craft) are equipped with an in-cockpit control that allows them to deactivate the cut-out as a Free Action. Naturally, such cut-outs are highly illegal, and are generally concealed as some other, nondescript ship's function in order to deceive inspections and customs agents.

-Just spitballing some numbers, I'd say that a blind jump has a duration of 2D minutes, placing the ship at a random location in deep space. Calculating a new jump from that location adds +2D to Astrogation Difficulty.

-Because of the disabled hyperspace cut-out, any Blind Jump result chart would have to include a very real chance of the ship colliding with a large object at hyperspace velocities, resulting in the instant destruction of the ship and all aboard. At a minimum, it would need to be a 1-in-6 chance on a 2D, so either as the 7 result, or as 2-4 or 10-12. Possibly more. Making it the result of a 2-5 or 9-12 increases the possibility very nearly to 1-in-3 (5 to 1Cool. It needs to be high enough that PCs might chance it, but the first time they suffer a TPK will make them rethink it next time...

-In addition, because a blind jump is linear and of short duration, it can be tracked and duplicated at Very Easy Difficulty by a pursuing ship.

-In fact, I think I may make the TPK result on the upper end of the scale, with a modifier based on how long the ship stays in hyperspace on the blind jump. Like, for every extra 10 minutes, increase the Difficulty of being tracked and pursued, but also shift +1 up the result chart, toward TPK range.

A few things from an old timer..

1- I would not allow the cutout to be disabled so easily.. instead use the jury-rigging rules (obviously a non-lethal kind however).

2- I can't recall at this point if the newer editions still use uncertainty dice, but the concept is that you add an equal number of dice to both the player's pool and the difficulty. For weighted results, treat one or more of the uncertainty dice in the difficulty pool as wild.

3- The one and only time this came up in my old campaign (so old the most recent sourcebook was Heir to the Empire, as the others hadn't been written yet) my solution was to merely run the module "Otherspace."

4- Based on the description found in point 3, when doing this kind of nonsense, the hyperdrive has a non-trivial chance to burn out it's motivator. My players actually started improving their backup hyperdrive at one point, just in case.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> House Rules All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: