The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Death Star Gunnery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Death Star Gunnery Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

So, a silly thought:

Given that the various levels of gunnery skills are gated to scales, do you think there were Death Star Gunnery scales? Death Star Shields? Can you imagine being in the Academy, studying for your Death Star Piloting final, when word comes in that the Death Star has been destroyed?
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Death Star Technical Companion includes several relevant templates.

The Ship Operation Crew lists the skill "capital ship shields 4D".

The Bridge Pit Crew template lists the following skills: "battle station piloting: Death Star 5D, capital ship gunnery 3D, capital ship shields 3D."

The Death Star Gunner lists the following skills: "blaster artillery 4D+2, vehicle blasters 4D+2"; "capital ship gunnery 5D, capital ship shields 4D"; and "capital starship weapon repair 4D." Those funny helmets they wear are described as "Targeting computer linkup helmet (+2D fire control capital scale weapons only)."

So WEG's answer seems to be yes for piloting and no for shields and weapons. Personally I'd be inclined to add a skill for superlaser gunnery at Death Star scale since what the crew did to fire that weapon seems different than what we see people doing to fire lesser scale weapons.

Given the size of the Death Star the academy for Death Star pilots and the training facilities for Death Star scale skills in general could be located on the Death Star itself.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren wrote:

The Bridge Pit Crew template lists the following skills: "battle station piloting: Death Star 5D, capital ship gunnery 3D, capital ship shields 3D."

The Death Star Gunner lists the following skills: "blaster artillery 4D+2, vehicle blasters 4D+2"; "capital ship gunnery 5D, capital ship shields 4D"; and "capital starship weapon repair 4D." Those funny helmets they wear are described as "Targeting computer linkup helmet (+2D fire control capital scale weapons only)."

So WEG's answer seems to be yes for piloting and no for shields and weapons. Personally I'd be inclined to add a skill for superlaser gunnery at Death Star scale since what the crew did to fire that weapon seems different than what we see people doing to fire lesser scale weapons.

Given the size of the Death Star the academy for Death Star pilots and the training facilities for Death Star scale skills in general could be located on the Death Star itself.

It's peculiar to think that the Death Star gunner might roll poorly...and miss the planet.

lol
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
Bren wrote:

It's peculiar to think that the Death Star gunner might roll poorly...and miss the planet.

lol

I'm picturing the performance review for that.

"So, we're here to talk about last week."
"Look, standards say I have to achieve at least a 33% on the range. I hit on the second shot! That's 50%!"
"You were aiming at a planet, Don. You missed a planet."
"I am still WAY above Stormtrooper averages on target."
"Don, do you have any idea what you DID hit when you missed a planet?"
"Empty space, right?"
"...and you know the superlaser doesn't stop just because it hits empty space, right?"
"It doesn't?"
"No. It keeps going. It keeps going, and going, and going, until it hits an Imperial Fuel Depot two systems away, Don!"
"...oh."
"Yeah. Oh. Anyway, I just wanted to talk to you before Lord Vader chokes us both to death with the force, because do you know what happens when you screw up, Don? Lord Vader chokes the nearest officer, Don. I am going to die because you can't hit a f*** PLANET."
"...oh. Sorry."
Ray
Commodore
Commodore

Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Western Arm, Milky Way

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

"Look, standards say I have to achieve at least a 33% on the range. I hit on the second shot! That's 50%!"
"Empty space, right?"
"...and you know the superlaser doesn't stop just because it hits empty space, right?"
"It doesn't?"
"No. It keeps going. It keeps going, and going, and going, until it hits an Imperial Fuel Depot two systems away, Don!"
"...oh."
"Yeah. Oh. Anyway, I just wanted to talk to you before Lord Vader chokes us both to death with the force, because do you know what happens when you screw up, Don? Lord Vader chokes the nearest officer, Don. I am going to die because you can't hit a f*** PLANET."
"...oh. Sorry."

Something like this, huh? (NSFW due to language)
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray wrote:
MrNexx wrote:

"Empty space, right?"
"It doesn't?"
"...oh."
"...oh. Sorry."

Something like this, huh? (NSFW due to language)

Very much what I had in mind, yeah. Very Happy
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really terrifying when you think about it. The superlaser bolt...just zapping along through space at the speed of light... 'to whom it may concern'.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dredwulf60 wrote:
It's really terrifying when you think about it. The superlaser bolt...just zapping along through space at the speed of light... 'to whom it may concern'.

"Occupant"
garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes you wonder. How far CAN it go?
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:

lol

"Empty space, right?"
"It doesn't?"
"...oh."
"...oh. Sorry."[/quote]

Comedic gold.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
That makes you wonder. How far CAN it go?

No one knows.
Dredwulf60
Line Captain
Line Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of the ramifications and overall technical nature of the main gun on a gigantic battle station capable of obliterating entire planets...

I would have it arranged that a failure on the Superlaser gunnery roll would just fail to fire and force a re-calibration process on the whole targeting apparatus for one or more (likely more) rounds.

It would be not unlike when you have a DSLR camera set to auto focus.

You try to take the picture you want, the system analyzes the image and determines whether the shot is in focus or not. If it's not, you press the shutter release button...and nothing happens except a little blinking light telling you the target is not in focus.

So you adjust your position, lighting, etc and try again.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you get a malfunction as the collimators are not properly aligned and rather than a powerful shot on target, you get a weak, unfocused shot on target and then have to wait until the system can recharge for the next shot. This is particularly a problem for Deathstar I.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
So, a silly thought:

Given that the various levels of gunnery skills are gated to scales, do you think there were Death Star Gunnery scales? Death Star Shields? Can you imagine being in the Academy, studying for your Death Star Piloting final, when word comes in that the Death Star has been destroyed?

I know I'm late to the game here, but my only real question is, is Death Star Gunnery something that comes up often in your campaigns?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
MrNexx wrote:
So, a silly thought:

I know I'm late to the game here, but my only real question is, is Death Star Gunnery something that comes up often in your campaigns?

DDS: Dueling Death Stars on Holonet channel 3, man. The Ithorians are protesting the weekly "Clear the System Challenges" in court, but rumor is that Ithor is on the block for season 2, so it might not last.

(Seriously, I haven't played d6 since the 90s.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: