The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Death Star Gunnery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species -> Death Star Gunnery Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
I know I'm late to the game here, but my only real question is, is Death Star Gunnery something that comes up often in your campaigns?
Nope. But then neither do most of the things people ask or post about here.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I know I'm late to the game here, but my only real question is, is Death Star Gunnery something that comes up often in your campaigns?
Nope. But then neither do most of the things people ask or post about here.

But then the question becomes, is that rarity of occurrence due to the in-universe unlikelihood of such scenarios occuring, or because the RAW does a poor job of simulating the action?

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
But then the question becomes, is that rarity of occurrence due to the in-universe unlikelihood of such scenarios occuring, or because the RAW does a poor job of simulating the action?
I'm not following you. If the RAW does a poor job simulating the action I'd expect to get more questions, not fewer. So questions would be less rare, not more.
MrNexx
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

Bren wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I'm not following you. If the RAW does a poor job simulating the action I'd expect to get more questions, not fewer. So questions would be less rare, not more.

Yeah, but you're still going to get less questions about rarer things, simply because fewer people are considering them.
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Death Star Gunnery Reply with quote

MrNexx wrote:
Yeah, but you're still going to get less questions about rarer things, simply because fewer people are considering them.
Rarity of occurrence I understand, Boba Fett effect to the contrary. It was the second half of the sentence that didn't make sense.

But lots of stuff we discuss is pretty rare. In how many sessions do you have an artillery barrage? (In our games I think it's come up once or twice in a couple hundred sessions.) But there are a lot of posts about artillery. Which makes sense. This is a D6 focused, Star Wars forum. It's a really rare topic indeed that you won't find a least a couple of people who care to discuss it. And if you can't discuss it here, you probably can't get a discussion about it anywhere.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair point, but I've often wondered if things like Capital Ship combat might be more attractive to both players and GMs if we had better rules for them. Or maybe allowing characters to command, say, an anti-orbital ion cannon against an attacking fleet, except that the range brackets for the cannon and capital ships do not easily integrate.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might though I think that depends on the players and what they want. Some folks will want to play out detailed starfleet battles. Others would prefer something more handwavey and character focused. Still others will want the capital ship actions to be background activity for character action where the outcome is decided by GM fiat and player exceptional actions in a scene where the capital action is background for the scene. When we played that other franchise-based Sci-Fi RPG with the word "Star" in the title we had characters on capital ships. But we didn't use very detailed mechanics and it worked fine. (We used a simplification of the ship combat from the FASA RPG.)

Similarly our old campaign had a couple of groups of characters who were the crew of capital scale ships (a Quasar Fire class light carrier and a couple of corvettes). We used pretty simple rules for capital ship combat between ships of like classes and I, as the GM, rolled out a lot of the NPC vs NPC ship action ahead of time so we could focus on the stuff where the players were involved.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at two different methods, depending on the circumstances:
    1). Treat the ship as a single-crew vessel, with one character as the pilot / captain. The ship's crew will still be present, and their skill levels will be used when rolling for the ship's actions, but it will be the character deciding the actions, and using Tactics and Command rolls to improve the crew's skill rolls.

2). Treat the ship as a multi-crew ship with 4-6 crew, each performing different tasks. However, instead of being hands-on, the different characters are acting as Division Heads (navigation officer, gunnery officer, chief engineer, etc.). This uses the same method as above, with the captain giving orders to subordinate characters, who in turn give orders to their subordinate NPC crew.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used bridge crew or engineering crew making their own rolls for piloting, gunnery, shields, tactics, and various Tech/engineering skills (e.g. increasing power to the whatsits). These were then augmented (or much more rarely decremented) by the captain's command skill.

To put that in context, we had multiple players who each had one or more bridge or engineering characters (this was a troupe style of play) and one player who was the overall ship captain or commander. So individual characters rolling the skill for their bridge position made sense and the captain augmenting their skills (or obviating the need for them to roll a skill) with a good command also made sense.

...not that you have to do things that way, but it worked well for the groups I GMed for or played with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Characters, Droids, and Species All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: