The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The CRMcNeill Stat Index Update & Feedback Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> The CRMcNeill Stat Index Update & Feedback Page Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: The CRMcNeill Stat Index Update & Feedback Page Reply with quote

In the interest of keeping the Index topic free of clutter, please post any comments, requests or suggestions here.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:29 am; edited 1 time in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'm gonna call it a night, but I did get the Index pretty well populated, both with the official stats I've redone and with a pretty good-sized selection of some of my homebrew stats.

I'm thinking of adding a section for my house rules, too...

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CRMcNeill Stat Index

CRMcNeill wrote:
I've posted many, many stats over the years, and a lot of them aren't current with my Scale system or the more organized weapons stats I've been applying. However, rather than re-posting the stats here, what I have in mind is to go back through my various posts on the Ships, Vehicles & Equipment page, update the stats to my current standard, and then post a link here. That way, if you want quick access to any of my stats, it will all be in one place.

Please Do Not Post Any Replies On This Topic!
In the interests of keeping this Index as easy to access as possible, please do not make any posts. If you have comments or requests, please post them here.

When you first posted the stat index I thought of thanking you for that but didn't reply for this reason. Good idea to have this other thread for feedback and a link to it there.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
When you first posted the stat index I thought of thanking you for that but didn't reply for this reason. Good idea to have this other thread for feedback and a link to it there.

Thanks for that. In the event some moron ignores the warning and posts over there, I may be asking you to either delete posts or move them over here.

Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
I've posted many, many stats over the years...

I had the same thought.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Whill wrote:

Thanks for that. In the event some moron ignores the warning and posts over there, I may be asking you to either delete posts or move them over here.
Perhaps there is a more charitable way to phrase this thought.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the stats section is complete; the only things I haven't posted are A) ships that I thought were good ideas when I first posted them, but have since reconsidered, B) ships where I still think the concept fits, but needs more work than can be fit into the existing stat, and C) crossover stats, which will be going into their own separate category.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a little re-arranging of the various categories, and added a House Rules Section and a Weapons & Equipment Section.

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: The CRMcNeill Stat Index Feedback Page Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
In the interest of keeping the Index topic free of clutter, please post any comments, requests or suggestions here.

SInce you do have some crossover stuff, i wonder how YOU would gauge the Stargate ships for a SW setting, specifically both the Gou'ald vessels and the wraith ones.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: The CRMcNeill Stat Index Feedback Page Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
CRMcNeill wrote:

SInce you do have some crossover stuff, i wonder how YOU would gauge the Stargate ships for a SW setting, specifically both the Gou'ald vessels and the wraith ones.

Hard to say; I don't really know those ships well enough to be able to make educated guesses about how well they'd stack up. I could swear I've seen some crossover stats for them out there, though...

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The D6 holocron site has some good crossover stats, but i feel they are a little HIGH..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
The D6 holocron site has some good crossover stats, but i feel they are a little HIGH..

In what sense? Is it the sort of thing where you can just subtract 1D from most of the stats and bring them more in-line?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, from watching every season of the shows, the fact each Hat'tak class has at LEAST 20 guns in the holocron write up, but in the shows, we only ever saw at MOST 6 guns firing in any manner, 4 normal. Some are even listed with bomb launchers on, but we only ever saw those on Alkeshes..

Then you get into things like the Ori mother ships listed as 40D of shields, 15d MAIN cannon damage, 75 other pulse cannons (we saw 5 being fired in the battle of the supergate (S9 ep 20).

Then we get Wraith ships listed with (For the cruiser size) 30 guns (10 front, 10 left, 10 right), but at most, again from visuals we saw IN epsiodes we had 10 guns period.. 4 front, 3 right, 3 left..
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, from watching every season of the shows, the fact each Hat'tak class has at LEAST 20 guns in the holocron write up, but in the shows, we only ever saw at MOST 6 guns firing in any manner, 4 normal. Some are even listed with bomb launchers on, but we only ever saw those on Alkeshes..

Then you get into things like the Ori mother ships listed as 40D of shields, 15d MAIN cannon damage, 75 other pulse cannons (we saw 5 being fired in the battle of the supergate (S9 ep 20).

Then we get Wraith ships listed with (For the cruiser size) 30 guns (10 front, 10 left, 10 right), but at most, again from visuals we saw IN episodes we had 10 guns period.. 4 front, 3 right, 3 left..

The important thing to keep in mind is that writing stats isn't an exact science, and this goes double for writing crossover stats.

When WEG wrote up their version of the Imperial Star Destroyer, I highly doubt they got out a magnifying glass and went over the models to get an exact count of turbolaser emplacements; more probably, they just pulled a number out of the air and went with it. When I redid it, I mostly kept what they had, adding the port and starboard heavy turbolaser batteries that can be seen on the models, but I didn't go over the model with a fine-toothed comb to get an exact count on weapons, either.

The most important question, IMO, is not whether or not the crossover stat for a Ha'Tak has the same number of weapons as the ships seen in the SG1 series. Rather, it is whether or not the ship is capable of performing the same mission in the SWU as it does in SG1. In other words, if you intend for the Ha'Tak to be able to hold its own against Imperial Star Destroyers or MC80s, the stats need to back that up.

If you like the pattern I'm following, I would suggest keeping the gun numbers given in the Holocron Stats, but then also give them Heavy Plasma Cannon in the smaller numbers, more consistent with what is seen in SG1. That way, a Ha'Tak could have weapons in both Frigate and Destroyer Scale, and be able to compete on the same level as other heavy warships in the galaxy at large.

But yeah, those stats do have other issues. Really, what good is a ship in the SWU with a x140 hyperdrive and 1 month of Consumables?

garhkal
Sovereign Protector
Sovereign Protector

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, guess i might need to make my own attempt to do a crossover statting for them.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garhkal wrote:
Well, guess i might need to make my own attempt to do a crossover statting for them.

I'll be more than happy to help out. But again, I expect you know more about those ships than I do, so you're probably best qualified to take the lead on this one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: