The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG -> WEG SW:The RPG 30th Anniversary Edition! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1162

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to pre-arrange deals sell to D6 SW GMs before you buy. You might not get all of your money back, but if you make the deal sweet enough, I bet that you might find some takers. Heck, they might even play the full half price for the set--you never know.

Shouldn't be that hard since it is a limited edition set.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4192

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falconer wrote:
If I have to. A lot of risk and work there that I would rather avoid though. Not to mention a huge chunk of change upfront.


Heh. You mean after that book shipment that got allegedly lost at sea?
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
WillTasker
Sub-Lieutenant
Sub-Lieutenant


Joined: 25 Jan 2017
Posts: 65

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only wish they'd allowed Paypal :\

That said, happily preordered
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 197
Location: Nebraska

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: New FFG Post Reply with quote

There's a new FFG post today:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/23/an-ancient-religon/

Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that Lucasfilm - maybe at Hidalgo's direction - may at least be thinking about encouraging FFG to transition back to D6 in the future? Why are they waiting so long to develop more sequel trilogy material under their new system? Am I guilty of wishful thinking?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4105
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
There's a new FFG post today:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/23/an-ancient-religon/

Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that Lucasfilm - maybe at Hidalgo's direction - may at least be thinking about encouraging FFG to transition back to D6 in the future? Why are they waiting so long to develop more sequel trilogy material under their new system? Am I guilty of wishful thinking?

Thanks for sharing this! This is cool, but I am disappointed there is still not any status change but "on the boat". I realize the boat is probably coming from China, but is it a sail boat subject to whichever direction the winds blow? Do these boat voyages not have ETAs? I have no trouble being patient, but the vagueness of not knowing when they will be available irks me. I need to know so I can remind my FLGS to hold one for me before they accidentally sell my copy to someone else. I really don't want to pay an extra $13.46 for shipping just to pre-order this.
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Solo4114
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 18 May 2017
Posts: 139

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Red 331 wrote:
There's a new FFG post today:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/23/an-ancient-religon/

Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that Lucasfilm - maybe at Hidalgo's direction - may at least be thinking about encouraging FFG to transition back to D6 in the future? Why are they waiting so long to develop more sequel trilogy material under their new system? Am I guilty of wishful thinking?

Thanks for sharing this! This is cool, but I am disappointed there is still not any status change but "on the boat". I realize the boat is probably coming from China, but is it a sail boat subject to whichever direction the winds blow? Do these boat voyages not have ETAs? I have no trouble being patient, but the vagueness of not knowing when they will be available irks me. I need to know so I can remind my FLGS to hold one for me before they accidentally sell my copy to someone else. I really don't want to pay an extra $13.46 for shipping just to pre-order this.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4105
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains it. Paddle power!
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cheshire
Arbiter-General (Moderator)


Joined: 04 Jan 2004
Posts: 4192

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things from FFG usually spend about a month on the boat. Usually it's about 20 days in transit, but there's also a customs line, then the unloading, and then road transit for it to land in stores. A lot of these things are under the umbrella of "on the boat."

Usually it takes about a month for it to go from "on the boat" to "in stores."
_________________
__________________________________
Before we take any of this too seriously, just remember that in the middle episode a little rubber puppet moves a spaceship with his mind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore


Joined: 07 Apr 2017
Posts: 1162

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Things from FFG usually spend about a month on the boat. Usually it's about 20 days in transit, but there's also a customs line, then the unloading, and then road transit for it to land in stores. A lot of these things are under the umbrella of "on the boat."

Usually it takes about a month for it to go from "on the boat" to "in stores."


I hear that they're using Ewoks and Jawas on the docks. They work a lot cheaper than Wookiees.

That probably explains it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4105
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheshire wrote:
Things from FFG usually spend about a month on the boat. Usually it's about 20 days in transit, but there's also a customs line, then the unloading, and then road transit for it to land in stores. A lot of these things are under the umbrella of "on the boat."

Usually it takes about a month for it to go from "on the boat" to "in stores."

Thanks, Cheshire. It's better than nothing, but FFG's aloofness is irritating. I would much rather have a TAT turn out wrong then no official estimate. (But I am a little disappointed that they missed the 30th anniversary year.) The last update date is 1/18 so maybe that is the day the status changed to "on the boat".
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Falconer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 233

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: New FFG Post Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that Lucasfilm - maybe at Hidalgo's direction - may at least be thinking about encouraging FFG to transition back to D6 in the future? Why are they waiting so long to develop more sequel trilogy material under their new system? Am I guilty of wishful thinking?

Probably.

Still, does anyone hear any buzz surrounding the FFG SW RPG? It seems to me that D&D and PF are all alone in the top tier, and, given how huge SW is right now, and despite the suitability (as we all know) of SW for RPGing, FFG’s RPG is just not at all where it needs to be. I could well be wrong. But my theory is that their line is just counter-intuitive and not entry-level. Not to turn this into a bashing thread, at all; after all, I didn’t start playing WEG SW till well after the FFG line had been in print. So, no-one can claim that I’m “biased;” I just never for a moment saw the appeal.

Whereas the WEG RPG has this history of revitalizing the then-dead franchise and transforming it into a serious universe. I have seen a dozen “news” stories about that in the past three years. When FFG first marketed this anniversary set, all they talked about was how it is basically the “missing link” between the OT and the SW universe everyone know knows (canon reboot notwithstanding), with its Twi’leks and whatnot.

This latest blog entry from FFG is literally the first instance I have seen of them talking about it as something playable. That is a new development, IMO. So I don’t know how to take that. Maybe it’s the opposite of what you think. Maybe the books are printed and on the ship (not a boat; come on), and they are starting to get anxious for orders, so they’re trying every angle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4105
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: New FFG Post Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/956379827388407809

It may be soon. Paul Hidalgo's showing off his set now.

Red 331 wrote:
Maybe I'm way off, but it seems to me that Lucasfilm - maybe at Hidalgo's direction - may at least be thinking about encouraging FFG to transition back to D6 in the future? Why are they waiting so long to develop more sequel trilogy material under their new system?

Now we're in the days of "Everything is canon." There seems to be hesitance on Lucasfilm allowing the RPG to dive too deeply into potentially continuity-restricting RPG-continuity surrounding the films. Eight months after the film came out, TFA finally got a Beginner Game with an adventure that takes place on Jakku before the film. There is a sourcebook coming out that includes info on Rogue One and Rebels (which is in its final season). The releases seem intentionally delayed and otherwise designed to do minimal impact to the canon.

Falconer wrote:
Still, does anyone hear any buzz surrounding the FFG SW RPG? It seems to me that D&D and PF are all alone in the top tier, and, given how huge SW is right now, and despite the suitability (as we all know) of SW for RPGing, FFG’s RPG is just not at all where it needs to be. I could well be wrong. But my theory is that their line is just counter-intuitive and not entry-level. Not to turn this into a bashing thread, at all; after all, I didn’t start playing WEG SW till well after the FFG line had been in print. So, no-one can claim that I’m “biased;” I just never for a moment saw the appeal.

No, I do not at all get the idea that there is the kind of buzz for the FFG SW RPG to the level of D&D and PF. But those are RPGs which are primarily RPGs. The FFG Star Wars game is a supplementary product to the Star Wars film franchise, so I do not see any reason why anyone would expect it to hang with the RPG giants.

That doesn't mean that it isn't doing well. There are many new overpriced books for their three game lines (EotE, AoR, F&D) coming out for the current system so the business must be doing ok. The four Beginner Games are supposed to be their entry-level games, which are just slightly less crunchy versions of the regular game. They are extremely committed to this game system which is based on the same general business model WotC's game was: An immensely crunchy game with each release providing more crunch that is marketed as vital. So while I agree that it is not truly entry-level, after running the AoR Beginner Game I have to say FFG just doesn't seem to care about getting new players into the game by easy accessibility. They seem to want people to get into the game by virtue of this being the only SW game in publication. It worked for WotC. If FFG was going to transition from one game system into another and cared about having a truly entry-level game as an option, they would have started with the D6 game. And I doubt they would try to have two game system lines simultaneously because that would not being showing confidence in their first line.

The most I can hope for is this anniversary set selling so well with such great demand that when their current line finally does die down, they decide to bring back the D6 RPG.
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Red 331
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 197
Location: Nebraska

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked several of your points, Whill. I think you may be right about their reluctance to deal with the canon challenges - that makes sense too.

I have purchased quite a few of the FFG rulebooks, adventures, and all of the beginner games, and I also listen to the Order 66 Podcast from time to time, which covers the FFG system. I think the art in the FFG materials is top notch, and I was really impressed by the interviews of Jay Little, who came up with the FFG Star Wars mechanics, who was thoughtful and just generally seemed like a nice guy. But whenever the podcast gets into the game mechanics, and similarly with their published materials, the amount of crunch is just amazing and, in my opinion, way over the top.

The WEG folks really hit it out of the park with the simplicity of their D6 system, which allowed the focus to stay on telling a great story. I think that's the main reason why this forum is still around today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Falconer
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander


Joined: 08 Dec 2014
Posts: 233

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the reprints will have the LEGENDS logo on them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whill
Supreme Chancellor (Site Admin)


Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 4105
Location: Columbus, OHIO, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red 331 wrote:
The WEG folks really hit it out of the park with the simplicity of their D6 system, which allowed the focus to stay on telling a great story. I think that's the main reason why this forum is still around today.

I agree.

Falconer wrote:
I wonder if the reprints will have the LEGENDS logo on them.

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/956379827388407809

There are no Legends logos visible in this picure. My bet would be no because this is a game not a story, but I think the Legends label would be appropriate for the Sourcebook. The box is marked with '30th anniversary edition'.
_________________
*
"Would you trade that necklace for a glimpse into your future? ...What do you know of kyber crystals?"
"The Force moves darkly near a creature that’s about to kill... I'm gonna follow Jyn. Her path is clear."

"Tell that to Kanjiklub."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> First Edition / IAG All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


v2.0