The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

Revising Official Capital Ship Stats
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech -> Revising Official Capital Ship Stats Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jollyone
Ensign
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing new stats. I think fire rate is good call on larger ships/guns.

As for guns for that are ok at a couple things. I remember seeing I think it is the Customs Frigate, starfighter scale with starfighter weapons, it had a range of 75. There were a couple of other ships that had same thing, range 75 starfighter scale, most were 4d to 6d I think? in damage. I would like to see this type of weapon. Say a Turbolaser starfighter scale fire rate of every other round, with range of 75 and damage of 5/6/7 for single/twin/batteries? The tramp freighter book had the 7d damage turbo laser with I think fire rate of 1/2? but only one on ship and illegal?

Also there was a starfighter patrol type ship that had a capitol scale ion cannon that had once every ten rounds? or something like that?
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

Location: Redding System, California Sector, on the I-5 Hyperspace Route.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there are some rules I have that fit in with the terms used for the various weapons, mostly having to do with fire linking and how it affects Damage and Fire Control. All of these rules must be declared at the time the attack is declared.
    A "Dual" weapon may transfer 1D from Damage to Fire Control.

A "Quad" weapon may transfer either 1D or 2D from Damage to Fire Control.

A "Battery" may transfer either 1D or 2D from Damage to Fire Control, or may trade Damage for an increased Fire Rate (From 1 to 2/1 for 1D, or to 4/1 for 2D).
So, an ISD with 20 Turbolaser Batteries (Frigate-Scale, FC 3D, Dam 6D) in its Left Arc can shift its firing pattern to bracket a small target like a starfighter, and effectively turn itself into a Starfighter-Scale, FC 1D, Damage 8D weapon.

The CRMcNeill Stat/Rule Index
Bren
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Proton Torpedo and Concussion Missile Launchers in particular have much longer reload times, simulating the need to physically move a heavy piece of equipment from the ready armory into the firing tube.
That sounds reasonable.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just completed the project I mentioned above; all capital ship weapons now have a Rate of Fire included, none higher than 1.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone interested in me re-statting the Death Star? My initial impression was that it wasn't in service long enough to be a real factor insofar as actually needing game stats, but what with Rogue One, as well as the Death Star novel, I see an increased likelihood of characters wanting to put it in their campaigns. From a strictly gaming standpoint, the stats are superfluous, but since I re-did everything else, I'm strongly considering giving the Death Star the same treatment for the sake of completeness.

Thoughts?

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, go for it! There's no reason not to do it.

And there's story potential for Imperial political intrigue campaigns on board the Death Star as everyone stationed there might be forced to take sides in the rivalry between Tarkin and Krennic.

Hell, there's even potential for an (obviously non-canon) anti-Emperor mutiny aboard the Death Star. One of the short stories in From A Certain Point of View has Admiral Motti go into Tarkin's office just after Alderaan is destroyed and (not-so-)subtly suggest that Tarkin lead a coup against Palpatine from the Death Star. Tarkin, being Tarkin, knows better than to have the Emperor as his enemy and warns Motti that such ambition is not in the best interests of the Empire. Motti was smart enough to couch his language enough not to appear completely disloyal to the Emperor, which was why Tarkin didn't have Motti arrested for treason right then and there.

But yeah, considering that 1) the Imperial Joint Chiefs of Staff made it a point to gather on the Death Star as it became operational, 2) Krennic made it a point to recruit spies from members of the Death Star crew to spy on Tarkin, and 3) Tarkin also recruited his own spies among the same crew to spy on Krennic, I think there's a great deal of potential of using your Death Star stats as a tool for any number of Imperial political intrigue campaigns involving the Death Star.
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for starters, the Star Wars Technical Commentaries page puts the Death Star I's diameter at approximately 160-165 kilometers, although they stop short of ruling out WEG's 120 kilometer diameter. A diameter of 160 kilometers gives it a surface area of just over 80,000 square kilometers, which does interesting things with the number of WEG assigned weaponry. Specifically, 5,000 weapon emplacements evenly distributed across the station's entire surface means one emplacement per every 16 square kilometers.

So, based on the WEG numbers, a single grid square measuring 4 kilometers on a side would have 1 Turbolaser Battery, 1 Heavy Turbolaser, and either an Ion Cannon or a Heavy Laser Cannon. With such sparse density, the X-Wing strafing runs in the opening scenes of the Battle of Yavin make a lot more sense; if they can eliminate a handful of weapons in a specific area, it gives them a safe zone in which their fighters can operate unhindered (if they fly low enough).

This ties in with previous discussion as to, if a smaller Scale craft can get in close enough to a larger Scale ship, it will become increasingly more and more difficult for the weaponry of the larger craft to be brought to bear against the attacker, and the larger the scale of the weapon, the greater the penalty.

RyanDarkstar
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ANH, right after the X-wings begin their attack run, the camera focuses on the SB-920 laser cannons firing on the rebels. I paused the movie and see three SB-920s lined up. Would this be typical for each grid?

I also found a picture of a city sprawl, North 7: A68, with three turbolasers.

CLICK HERE FOR IMAGE
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The image of the cannon from ANH was where I got the idea of Laser and Turbolaser Batteries as common weaponry. The gun deck scenes in RotS were contributing factors, as well.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also the fact that, again per the Star Wars Technical Commentaries, the WEG-generated population numbers of the Death Star result in absurdly low population densities (something in the area of 1 per square kilometer, once the several kilometers worth of layered decks in the outer zones is taken into account). It mentions another source (The Technical Book of Science Fiction Films) puts a "more realistic" number of just under 32,000,000, and even then, there would be issues with empty corridors (such as the ones outside the garbage compactor).

Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRMcNeill wrote:
Well, for starters, the Star Wars Technical Commentaries page puts the Death Star I's diameter at approximately 160-165 kilometers, although they stop short of ruling out WEG's 120 kilometer diameter.

These DS I diameters were officialized. The pre-Disney Cross-Sections books have the Legends diameter at 120km, and the Rogue One: The Ultimate Visual Guide used the Technical Commentaries diameter (160km) for the current canon diameter. Of course you should make it what you see fit based primarily on what we see in the films.

CRMcNeill wrote:
Is anyone interested in me re-statting the Death Star? ...From a strictly gaming standpoint, the stats are superfluous, but since I re-did everything else, I'm strongly considering giving the Death Star the same treatment for the sake of completeness... Thoughts?

I don't think it is necessary.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Of course you should make it what you see fit based primarily on what we see in the films.

Since the Technical Commentaries dovetails with the Rogue One book, I'm going to take that route

Quote:
CRMcNeill wrote:
Is anyone interested in me re-statting the Death Star? ...From a strictly gaming standpoint, the stats are superfluous, but since I re-did everything else, I'm strongly considering giving the Death Star the same treatment for the sake of completeness... Thoughts?

I don't think it is necessary.

Too late.

CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, as I mentioned above, I agree with the SWTC in that the WEG-listed crew size for the Death Star is far too low. However, strictly for gaming purposes, it doesn't really matter how badly overmatched a group of player characters is when the numerical disparity is this massive. As such, I kept the number of passengers and small craft the same. However, since I did basically double the number of Gunners when I updated the weapon systems, I decided to double the size of the Death Star's base crew to match. YMMV.

Anyway, here is a Death Star stat with weapon ranges comparable to the rest of the capital ships that I've redone. Before, a capital ship could stand off about 30 SUs from a Death Star and pretty much pound it with impunity, so long as it stayed out of the Superlaser's fire arc. Now, each of the four fire arcs badly outguns pretty much any ship in the galaxy.

Death Star I

Craft: Custom-Built Battle Station
Type: Deep-Space Mobile Battle Station
Scale: Death Star (+24D)
Length: 160 kilometers (diameter)
Skill: Battle Station Operations: Death Star
Crew: 531,350 (113,828 @ +15) & 116,668 Gunners
Crew Skill:
Astrogation 5D+1
Gunnery 5D
Operations 6D
Shields 5D
Sensors 5D
Passengers:
--607,360 Army Personnel
--25,984 Stormtroopers
--42,782 Starship Support Staff
--167,216 Support Ship Pilots & Crew
Small Craft Complement:
--4 Strike-Class Medium Cruisers
--7,200 TIE Fighters (600 Squadrons / 100 Wings)
--3,600 Assault Shuttles (of various types)
--2,840 Blastboats
--1,860 Dropships
--13,000 Support Craft
--1,400 AT-ATs
--1,400 AT-STs
--1,420 Repulsortanks
--1,420 Repulsorcraft
--355 Floating Fortresses
--178 Mobile Command Bases
--4,043 Juggernauts
Cargo Capacity: 1,500,000,000 metric tons
Consumables: 3 years
Hyperdrive Multiplier: x4
Hyperdrive Backup: x24
Nav Computer: Yes
Maneuverability: 0D
Space: 1 (0D+2)
Hull: 15D
Shields: 2D
Sensors:
Passive 250/1D
Scan 500/2D
Search 1,000/3D
Focus 100/4D
Weapons:
Superlaser
Fire Arc: Front
Crew: 168 (48 @ +10)
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery: Superlaser
Fire Control: 1D
Space Range: 1-20/40/100
Rate of Fire: 1/6
Damage: Variable; 2D to 16D in 1D increments
Ammo: 16D, recharging at a rate of 1D every 30 minutes
5,000 Heavy Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 1,250 Front, 1,250 Left, 1,250 Right, 1,250 Rear
Scale: Destroyer (+12D)
Crew: 5
Skill: Capital Ship Gunnery
Range:
--Space: 3-15/35/75
--Orbital: 6km-30km/70km/150km
--Atmosphere: 300m-1.5km/3.5km/7.5km
Rate of Fire: 1/2
Damage: 7D
2,500 Heavy Ion Cannon
Fire Arc: 625 Front, 625 Left, 625 Right, 625 Rear
Crew: 4
Range:
--Space: 1-10/25/50
--Orbital: 2km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 100m-1km/2.5km/5km
Damage: 6D (ionization)
2,500 Heavy Missile Launchers
Fire Arc: 625 Front, 625 Left, 625 Right, 625 Rear
Crew: 3
Fire Control: 2D
Range:
--Space: 2-12/30/60
--Orbital: 4km-24km/60km/120km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1.2km/3km/6km
Rate of Fire: 1/3
Damage: 8D
10,000 Turbolaser Batteries
Fire Arc: 2,500 Front, 2,500 Left, 2,500 Right, 2,500 Rear
Scale: Frigate (+10D)
Range:
--Space: 2-10/25/50
--Orbital: 4km-20km/50km/100km
--Atmosphere: 200m-1km/2.5km/5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 6D
5,000 Ion Cannon
Crew: 2
Fire Control: 3D
Range:
--Space: 1-7/17/35
--Orbital: 2km-14km/34km/70km
--Atmosphere: 100m-700m/1.7km/3.5km
Rate of Fire: 1
Damage: 4D (ionization)
5,000 Missile Launchers
Range:
--Space: 1-8/20/40
--Orbital: 2km-16km/20km/80km
--Atmosphere: 100m-800m/2km/4km
Damage: 8D
5,000 Laser Batteries
Scale: Starship (+6D)
Skill: Starship Gunnery
Range:
--Space: 1-3/12/25
--Orbital: 2km-6km/24km/50km
--Atmosphere: 100m-300m/1.2km/2.5km
Damage: 7D
1,000 Tractor Beam Projectors
Fire Arc: 250 Front, 250 Left, 250 Right, 250 Rear
Scale: Special*
Range:
--Space: 1-5/15/30
--Orbital: 2km-10km/30km/60km
--Atmosphere: 100m-500m/1.5km/3km
Rate of Fire: 1 (Full Round)
Damage: 5D
*May switch between Destroyer (+12D), Frigate (+10D) and Starship (+6D). Switch takes one round, during which the projector can not be used.

House Rule Notes:
    COMMAND DIFFICULTY MODIFIER: +35
    SHIELD & SHIELD CONTROL: 2D @ 1D
    VELOCITY MODIFIER: 0D+1 Flight
    BATTERY DICE:
      Superlaser: 0D Front
      Heavy Turbolaser Batteries: 10D Front, 10D Left, 10D Right, 10D Rear
      Heavy Ion Cannon: 9D Front, 9D Left, 9D Right, 9D Rear
      Heavy Missile Launchers: 9D Front, 9D Left, 9D Right, 9D Rear
      Turbolaser Batteries: 17D+1 Front, 17D+1 Left, 17D+1 Right, 17D+1 Rear
      Ion Cannon: 10D Front, 10D Left, 10D Right, 10D Rear
      Missile Launchers: 10D Front, 10D Left, 10D Right, 10D Rear
      Laser Batteries: 10D Front, 10D Left, 10D Right, 10D Rear
      Tractor Beam Projectors: 7D+2 Front, 7D+2 Left, 7D+2 Right, 7D+2 Rear

Last edited by CRMcNeill on Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:41 pm; edited 8 times in total
CRMcNeill
Director of Engineering
Director of Engineering

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A conversation over on Fractalsponge's page got me thinking about World Devastators. I'm somewhat averse to them, as the idea that they were purpose built as planet-eaters seems rather unworkable. But the other discussion got me thinking of a possible alternate background for them.

Suppose instead that World Devastators were not purpose built as terror weapons, but rather began life as a support mechanism for the Imperial military. Logistics is a key weak point to any military operation, whether in space or on a planet's surface, and sustained combat operations will require a constant influx of supplies, spare parts and various and sundry other items. Unless said items are either already in-system or pre-ordered through the supply chain, the turn-around time of requisitioning a part, transmitting the order, and having it shipped to the combat zone for use can potentially take days, weeks or months.

Enter the World Devastator: a heavily armed and armored mobile factory that can set up shop in the outer reaches of a system, in an asteroid belt or the moons of a gas giant, and start strip-mining raw materials to feed its onboard factories to supply deployed forces within the system. This would drastically shorten both the supply lines and the turn-around time on replacement parts and the like.

Then, once Dark Empire rolls around, the Empire would be looking for creative uses of the forces already in existence, thus the idea of using them as terror assault weapons.

Thoughts?

Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a long time since I read the original Dark Empire comic book, but isn't being a mobile factory the original function of the World Devastators? IIRC, the WDs basically "ate" whatever was in front of them and the raw material was then used to manufacture war material like the unmanned drone TIEs right then and there in the middle of the battlefield. Granted, this would make the term "World Devastators" a slight bit of a misnomer since the devastation they were creating by eating planets' raw material was (somewhat) incidental to their function of being mobile factories.

But this is Palpatine we're talking about here, a guy who always loved grandiose titles for his superweapons. Razz

And OTOH, if these mobile factories were designed to act as battlefield siege weapons at the same time as war material factories, then you're combining two important military objectives, namely battlefield possession/control and logistical supply, with the same weapon. That's certainly a step up in warfare efficiency. And with Palpatine calling them "World Devastators" instead of something more clinical like, say the "Mobile Logistical Supply and Battlefield Possessor Asset," he gets the benefit of Names To Run Away From Really Fast as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> Ships, Vehicles, Equipment, and Tech All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 12 of 16

Jump to: