The Rancor Pit Forum Index
Welcome to The Rancor Pit forums!

The Rancor Pit Forum Index
FAQ   ::   Search   ::   Memberlist   ::   Usergroups   ::   Register   ::   Profile   ::   Log in to check your private messages   ::   Log in

The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars -> The Last Jedi - Thoughts and Reactions Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whill
Dark Lord of the Jedi (Owner/Admin)

Location: Columbus, Ohio, USA, Earth, The Solar System, The Milky Way Galaxy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I did like Justice League.

Bless you!

Raven Redstar wrote:
So, I'm a little curious... how many of you people who weren't fans of TLJ will end up buying the movie when it's released?

I'm especially curious about Whill, since he seems to be a pretty die hard collector... I was curious how many Star Wars fans would buy the movie even if they didn't like it in theaters.

I did like a lot of things about TLJ. Perhaps you should read this post, specifically "the good" and "conclusion" sections. I also think it is notable that I didn't have a problem with several things a lot of detractors took issue with.

Raven Redstar wrote:
So, you're just going to watch TLJ once more with subtitles, then it will be remitted to the shelf to gather dust?

I don't know about you, but I don't plan out all my future viewings of a movie when I buy it. I do not watch my owned movie library on any sort of schedule and I do not even cycle through all of them and watch them all equally. You buy a movie so it is there on your shelf whenever you want to watch it, however often it ends up being. When I said I'll watch it when it comes out on blu-ray to watch it with subtitles, that is my only future planned viewing as of now. It will be on my shelf for any future occasion it strikes me to watch it. Peering further into the future, I'm sure I'll rewatch it before Episode IX comes out, and who knows when else? But I know it certainly won't be my "go-to" Star Wars film so it won't be a lot.

And all my movies collect dust no matter how frequently they are watched because I live in a generally dusty home. 8)

Raven Redstar wrote:
So you'd buy the whole movie to be able to watch a few scenes? Would you do that with a movie that wasn't Star Wars?

So what if he did? It's his money. Do you perhaps suspect that fans who criticize TLJ don't really dislike it as much as they say they do by the litmus test of ownership? I am quite sensitive to overly negative and dramatic dumping on all the films, and I am very leery of bashwagons so prevalent on the internet these days, so I can empathize with the general suspicion. But I assure you that my criticisms (which have been pretty restrained) are 100% sincere, not overdramatized, and not under the influence of any negative consensus. Almost all of my friends and family rave about TLJ - I am a distinct black sheep in my circle. And I personally believe CRMcNeill's response to TLJ - It is completely consistent with his character as I have come to know it over 10,000 posts here. Actually I was quite shocked by his initial positive response and thought maybe someone changed his medication (lol).
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
So what if he did? It's his money. Do you perhaps suspect that fans who criticize TLJ don't really dislike it as much as they say they do by the litmus test of ownership? I am quite sensitive to overly negative and dramatic dumping on all the films, and I am very leery of bashwagons so prevalent on the internet these days, so I can empathize with the general suspicion. But I assure you that my criticisms (which have been pretty restrained) are 100% sincere, not overdramatized, and not under the influence of any negative consensus. Almost all of my friends and family rave about TLJ - I am a distinct black sheep in my circle. And I personally believe CRMcNeill's response to TLJ - It is completely consistent with his character as I have come to know it over 10,000 posts here. Actually I was quite shocked by his initial positive response and thought maybe someone changed his medication (lol).

My question wasn't meant to come across critical. I've just never heard of someone buying a movie to only watch a few select scenes, so I was curious if it was because of his Star Wars fandom or if he did it with other movies besides Star Wars. I'm all for supporting the franchise in whatever capacity, because as long as movie tickets, discs, comics, toys, and whatever are continuing to sell, I can look forward to new movies, shows, and stories to enjoy in the future.

Oddly enough, I've found that my enjoyment of TLJ made me the black sheep in my circles, I've gotten into some knock down drag out arguments with friends and family. So I was curious if people were still planning on going to see the upcoming films, and buy hard (or soft) copies when they're released. Being that this forum is a relatively civil discussion platform, I figured I'd pose my questions to more the more level headed folks here, rather than pour gasoline on a common fire in less civil circles.
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And all my movies collect dust no matter how frequently they are watched because I live in a generally dusty home.

Laughing
Mine do too, especially since these days a lot of movies come with digital copies, so I buy the hard copies and those end up on a shelf untouched unless internet happens to go down and power is still on, that way we have backups for entertainment.
Falconer
Commander
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
So, I'm a little curious... how many of you people who weren't fans of TLJ will end up buying the movie when it's released?

I won’t. I don’t own any of the ones I like, though, either. Though lately I’ve been thinking it would be neat to own a set of CBS VHS cassettes of the OT.
Whill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raven Redstar wrote:
I'm all for supporting the franchise in whatever capacity, because as long as movie tickets, discs, comics, toys, and whatever are continuing to sell, I can look forward to new movies, shows, and stories to enjoy in the future.

I'm doing my part to the keep the franchise going. The Art of TLJ and TLJ Incredible Cross-Sections books are meh to me and a part of me does regret asking my wife to buy these for me for Christmas, but then the collector in me kicks in and reminds myself that I have those books for all the other films. Hey, TLJ is one of my least favorite SW films and I still saw it five times in the theater!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage

Last edited by Whill on Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching TLJ with subtitles this week, there are a couple details I hadn't noticed before.

Quote:
Uh, yeah. D-D-Don't let the wrapper fool you, friend. Me and the First Order codeage go way back. And-d-d, if the price is right, I could break you into old man S-S-Snoke's boudoir.

I had never caught the word "codeage" in my five previous viewings. DJ has a history of codebreaking First Order security specifically. This specifically speaks to the criticism that only the "red plom blume master codebreaker" could do it. It is inherently in the screenplay not a plot hole. Now it may be an amazing stroke of coincidence that DJ happened to be in the same cell as Finn and Rose, but TLJ is not alone in Star Wars films having that in the story. It was an amazing coincidence in ANH that Artoo and Threepio ended up in the possession of Luke Skywalker, so this is an age old tradition in Star Wars and many other movies. (And the whole "side mission" was for the sake of Finn's character arc in the film, because without it Finn wouldn't have consciously chosen to actively commit to Resistance cause.)

And I do not see any reason that Maz's implications (that she and the so-called master codebreaker are the only ones in the galaxy that could do it) would necessarily be accurate. I see Maz as a flawed character. For one, she's a hypocrite in telling Han that he needed to go back to Leia to get back into the fight against evil, when she herself was neutral in the fight by just running a business for criminals. She is Force-sensitive but she isn't out battling the Dark Side. In TLJ her hypocrisy continues as she can't help the heroes herself because she is embroiled in union dispute. But she is infallible when making superlative statements about the capabilities of codebreakers? Give me a break!

Quote:
Do you have something, a cowl or something you can put on?

I had thought Rey was saying 'towel'. Cowl! That's hilarious! Instead of saying a 'shirt' or something, she went all "Dark Side villain" and said cowl. I love it!
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, that whole Canto Bight section is useless. It doesn't push the story forward, except in the weakest of terms, in the point that The Force will go on (in that scene with the Force and the boy with the broom at the end).

I think that we need to see DJ again, in Episode IX, where Finn and Rose are put into a position where they have to decide to trust him again. We, as audience members, will have some real doubts about DJ. It would put some real emotion in the scene as we've already gone down that road with DJ in TLJ. We don't trust him at all.
Whill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:
Still, that whole Canto Bight section is useless. It doesn't push the story forward, except in the weakest of terms, in the point that The Force will go on (in that scene with the Force and the boy with the broom at the end).

I think that we need to see DJ again, in Episode IX, where Finn and Rose are put into a position where they have to decide to trust him again. We, as audience members, will have some real doubts about DJ. It would put some real emotion in the scene as we've already gone down that road with DJ in TLJ. We don't trust him at all.

I disagree it was useless in the film. Again, it was all about Finn's character arc. Finn thought the place was great until Rose pointed out the evils of the place including animal abuse and child slavery, which tied into why she and her sister were in the Resistance. After the animal herd escape scene and they began to accept that they were going to be captured again, they agreed it was still worth it to tear up the town and let the abused animals go free. And the character of Don't Join was obviously there for Finn to ultimate go the opposite direction by joining the Resistance. And besides Finn's character arc, without Canto Bight Finn and Rose would just be shown leaving to go there and then later coming back with DJ with no explanation of who this is or how they hooked up with him. That would make no sense.

I am definitely going to use Cantonica in my next campaign as a place for the PCs to get into weapons smuggling. It's in the Corporate Sector so easy to imagine backing it up 30+ years and not being too different.
Registration/Log-In Help
The Rancor Pit Library
Star Wars D6 Damage
Raven Redstar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree it was useless in the film. Again, it was all about Finn's character arc. Finn thought the place was great until Rose pointed out the evils of the place including animal abuse and child slavery, which tied into why she and her sister were in the Resistance. After the animal herd escape scene and they began to accept that they were going to be captured again, they agreed it was still worth it to tear up the town and let the abused animals go free. And the character of Don't Join was obviously there for Finn to ultimate go the opposite direction by joining the Resistance. And besides Finn's character arc, without Canto Bight Finn and Rose would just be shown leaving to go there and then later coming back with DJ with no explanation of who this is or how they hooked up with him. That would make no sense.

I am definitely going to use Cantonica in my next campaign as a place for the PCs to get into weapons smuggling. It's in the Corporate Sector so easy to imagine backing it up 30+ years and not being too different.

I wholeheartedly agree, with everything.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whill wrote:
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb wrote:

+1 with everything that Whill said. But I also +1 Wajeb's statement that we need to see DJ again in Ep IX just so we can see the resolution to his story. I don't like the idea of such a complex character as DJ pulling a Karma Houdini and disappearing when he still has so much story potential left. And yeah, DJ is another manifestation of TLJ's tendency to embody Luke's statement of "This is not going to go the way you think!" by subverting so many Star Wars tropes. I think alot of people would really enjoy seeing DJ get his well-deserved comeuppance. (Not to mention that seeing that would also be a subversion of his Karma Houdini trope as well.)
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's interesting is that Luke was 19 when the Death Star was destroyed, 22 at the Battle of Hoth, 23 at Endor, and....only 53 when he died. A great Master Jedi, dies at 53. (Mark Hamill was 66 when TLJ hit screens.)

Also interesting is that the Empire lasted for about 25 years. The New Republic lasted about 30 years but never had the hold on the galaxy as strong as the Empire's previous grip.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE: The quick jump we see Falcon make in TLJ. It's a Hasty Jump! That can be done in one combat round (within 5 seconds) if the difficulty is doubled.

Chewie used pre-calculated hyperspace coordinates and performed a Hasty Jump, which his 8D+1 Astrogation (probably more...that's from 30 years ago during the time of RotJ) could easily handle.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foreshadowing...

Sometimes, it's not clear, or it's too quick, or I just can't hear dialogue sometimes. Now that I have the DVD, I can thumb on and off the subtitles.

When Rey and Ben meet through the Force, Ben comments something to the effect of: "You can't be doing this. The effort would kill you." Meaning that she can't be making the Force connection happen.

That's interesting because it foreshadow's Luke's death later in the film, with his Force projection. What are they calling it? A Force Chameleon or something like that?

So this power must put the user at great risk. Using it killed Luke.*

We learn later that it was Snoke manipulating Rey and Ben through the Force, making their connection possible. So, I wonder...does this also foreshadow the return of Snoke?

I mean, he's a cool bad guy**. In TFA, he was mysterious. I was curious about him. But, his portrayal in TLJ makes me want to see more of him (not unlike Qui-gon Jinn and Darth Maul--both died too early). Is he really dead?

Or was that a rather powerful Force Projection that we saw? What is that wasn't really him that Ben killed?

It would be an interesting twist.

*Luke says he came to the world of Ahch-To to die. Did he mean that he was just going to spend the rest of his days there? Or, was he pulled there by the Force? Because, in the end, he did die there, but not in the way he expected.

**Could Snoke be the re-animated, or never quite dead, Emperor Palpatine? All screwed up and misshapen from Vader throwing him down into the plasma pit? He survived?

I actually like that idea. Which is weird, because I don't dig the small universe Lucas stuff.
Sutehp
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, having Snoke actually be Palpatine in disguise is a stupid idea. And having him come back from the dead after being bisected through the waist by a lightsaber is even worse.

Palpatine and Snoke are both dead. Let them both rot. Rolling Eyes

Yes, they were both cool villains, but the idea of bringing either one of them back from the dead is just completely hackneyed. We deserve better than that from Star Wars.
Wajeb Deb Kaadeb
Commodore
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sutehp wrote:
Ugh, having Snoke actually be Palpatine in disguise is a stupid idea. And having him come back from the dead after being bisected through the waist by a lightsaber is even worse.

Palpatine and Snoke are both dead. Let them both rot. Rolling Eyes

Yes, they were both cool villains, but the idea of bringing either one of them back from the dead is just completely hackneyed. We deserve better than that from Star Wars.

Just to be clear...I wasn't suggesting that Snoke be brought back from the dead. I was just saying that Snoke could be a powerful Force projection--that he fooled Kylo Ren and Rey and is really somewhere else.

I don't think that will be the case in Episode IX. I was just exploring the idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Rancor Pit Forum Index -> General Star Wars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 5 of 22

Jump to: